Full-throttle Take Off in Mooney M20J

Old September 27th 09, 02:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Evan Salant

Default Full-throttle Take Off in Mooney M20J

I have read conflicting recommendations for take-off power in a M20J.
Some people seem to suggest that it's best to reduce MP/RPM to 25/2500
after 500 feet, while others suggest full throttle/2600 until cruise
altitude reached.

Any thoughts ?
Old September 27th 09, 08:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Glenn[_3_]

I once taught 3 people to fly in that make and model.

I teach to never ever touch throttle in any way until at least 1000 on take
off unless you are going to stay in the pattern. Then not until pattern
altitude. . Most engine failures occur with a throttle change. I don't
want the thing to quit me at 500 feet. As slow as that plane is to climb, I
usually left it to full bore until I'm close to my cruise altitude.

Old CFI

Old September 28th 09, 02:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dan Luke[_2_]

"Evan Salant" wrote:

I have read conflicting recommendations for take-off power in a M20J.
Some people seem to suggest that it's best to reduce MP/RPM to 25/2500
after 500 feet, while others suggest full throttle/2600 until cruise
altitude reached.

Any thoughts ?

What does the POH say?

--
Dan

T182T at 4R4

Old September 28th 09, 10:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Morgans[_2_]

"Evan Salant" wrote in message
I have read conflicting recommendations for take-off power in a M20J.
Some people seem to suggest that it's best to reduce MP/RPM to 25/2500
after 500 feet, while others suggest full throttle/2600 until cruise
altitude reached.

Any thoughts ?

Depends on trade-offs of terrain suitability for emergency landings, and
sound sensitivity of the area you are overflying.

I have always been one that is critical of people who takeoff with maximum
RPM and full throttle selected until they reach cruise altitude, and to hell
with how many people dislike all of the extra noise.

Sure, get high enough where there are some decent alternatives for landing,
then pull back the RPMs. Always remember that the airport you are using to
take off from could be lost forever if enough people get ****ed off at
hearing loud props constantly, and all of the way to altitude.
--
Jim in NC

Old September 29th 09, 04:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
John Smith

At our place, we reduce power and RPM as soon as possible. It makes a
*big* difference noisewise. Our neighbours are aware of our efforts to
minimize the noise, so it makes their and consequently also our lives
easier.
Old October 4th 09, 02:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ron Rosenfeld

On Sun, 27 Sep 2009 06:40:48 -0700 (PDT), Evan Salant
wrote:

I have read conflicting recommendations for take-off power in a M20J.
Some people seem to suggest that it's best to reduce MP/RPM to 25/2500
after 500 feet, while others suggest full throttle/2600 until cruise
altitude reached.

Any thoughts ?

The MAPA Safety Foundation Proficiency Courses teach to use maximum
available power, at or slightly above Vy, to at least 1000' AGL.
--ron