FAA Knowledge Test for PPGL

Old February 11th 12, 02:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JSoar

Default FAA Knowledge Test for PPGL

In pursuit of a PPGL certificate (after many years of flying
ultralights) I have been going thru various glider flying books, study
guides, and the FAA knowledge test questions. In one version I have of
the FAA question list I see that a working knowledge of VOR navigation
is required to answer several test questions correctly. But not much
about it is discussed in the study guides.

I wonder if anyone here has recently taken the private pilot glider
knowledge exam, and if so are there questions in it about VOR
navigation, and other perhaps “obsolete” technology that I need to
learn.
Old February 11th 12, 03:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
lanebush

On Feb 11, 9:12*am, JSoar wrote:
In pursuit of a PPGL certificate (after many years of flying
ultralights) I have been going thru various glider flying books, study
guides, and the FAA knowledge test questions. In one version I have of
the FAA question list I see that a working knowledge of VOR navigation
is required to answer several test questions correctly. But not much
about it is discussed in the study guides.

I wonder if anyone here has recently taken the private pilot glider
knowledge exam, and if so are there questions in it about VOR
navigation, and other perhaps “obsolete” technology that I need to
learn.

I had an initial student take the exam last summer. Yes there are
questions on VOR and NDB navigation. The examiner even asked one or
two on the practical test.
Old February 11th 12, 03:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Vaughn

On 2/11/2012 9:12 AM, JSoar wrote:

I wonder if anyone here has recently taken the private pilot glider
knowledge exam, and if so are there questions in it about VOR
navigation, and other perhaps “obsolete” technology that I need to
learn.

I don't quite meed your criteria, since I haven't taken the test
recently, but it's probably safe to assume that those silly VOR
questions are still on the test. Be sure that you have the latest
edition of whatever prep book you are using, because I seem to recall
that the FAA tinkered with the question bank in recent months.

My technique with FAA tests is to use the online test prep services,
then just continue taking practice tests until I am consistently scoring
above 90. It's my experience that a high written test score will lead
to a far more relaxed oral.

Good luck and welcome to soaring.

Vaughn

Old February 11th 12, 06:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
glidergeek

On Feb 11, 6:12*am, JSoar wrote:
In pursuit of a PPGL certificate (after many years of flying
ultralights) I have been going thru various glider flying books, study
guides, and the FAA knowledge test questions. In one version I have of
the FAA question list I see that a working knowledge of VOR navigation
is required to answer several test questions correctly. But not much
about it is discussed in the study guides.

I wonder if anyone here has recently taken the private pilot glider
knowledge exam, and if so are there questions in it about VOR
navigation, and other perhaps “obsolete” technology that I need to
learn.

Google VOR navigation there's a ton of tutorials, go to an airport
take an hour of dual with an instructor and tell him all you want to
do is see how a VOR works for your glider check ride if you got the
time and money.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoiUrTjuo6U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Enq5R...eature=related
Old February 12th 12, 11:15 PM
Squeaky Squeaky is offline
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glidergeek View Post
On Feb 11, 6:12*am, JSoar wrote:
[...]

ok I took the test last Aug 2011. No VOR questions came up--that is possible given random test question selection. In my test book guide I saw no mention of VOR requirements or questions. However I also used the on line exam prep site for Glider and VOR type questions (And ADF) came up on their practice exams. That said, there aren't many.

Took the pratical in Jan 2012. No VOR or ADF questions at all. Also they are not mentioned in Practical Test Standards so I wasn't expecting any.

Hope that helps.

Squeaky
USAFA 83
Pilatus B4 PC 11AAuto detailing fairfax va
Auto detailing business cards
Car Model
Model Car
Tutorial
Federal student loan
Newsgroup
Federal student aid
Old February 13th 12, 02:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter von Tresckow

Thy this link. It allows you to position an aircraft in relation to two
Navaids (VOR or NDB) and play with the indicators.

http://www.relia.net/~george/aviation/sim/

Peter

Old February 14th 12, 03:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

On 2/13/2012 6:25 AM, Peter von Tresckow wrote:

I wonder if anyone here has recently taken the private pilot glider
knowledge exam, and if so are there questions in it about VOR
navigation, and other perhaps “obsolete” technology that I need to
learn.

I thought it was odd when they asked those questions 30 years ago; now,
it seems just plain weird with GPS in gliders going on 17+ years!

I hope no one has to do dead reckoning on a glider exam ...

email me)
Old February 17th 12, 05:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

Just a quick note: I really like the free Online Tests at: www.exams4pilots.org

MAKE SURE you click the little "change" link to select the correct
exam (Private Pilot Glider)!

I'm with Vaughn - I like to do some study then try a BUNCH of practice
tests until my score is consistently high.

Enjoy,

--Noel

Passed CFI Knowledge Test Kobra Instrument Flight Rules 14 August 19th 08 02:17 AM
Passed CFI Knowledge Test Kobra Piloting 10 August 6th 08 01:37 AM
FAA Knowledge test Dave Piloting 15 October 31st 03 06:32 PM
FAA Knowledge Test Results Richard Moore Instrument Flight Rules 4 October 12th 03 07:10 AM
FAA Knowledge Test Results Richard Moore Simulators 3 October 12th 03 04:48 AM