Crashing on takeoff... how odd

Old August 28th 06, 04:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Crashing on takeoff... how odd

Matt Whiting wrote:

You are assuming that all such crashes are due to partial power loss. Isn't so. One
airplane crash on takeoff a few years ago was due to a problem with the elevator trim, if I
recall correctly. Also, a weight and balance issue can cause a crash right after takeoff as
can myriad other problems not related to power.

Well, why then do you guys dread an engine failure more than anything
else? The reason is because other factors are pretty much within
your control - pitch trim, aircraft loading, choice of runway,
condition of the tires and whatever else. Engines too I'm sure aren't
altogether iffy but there's an element of risk of a failure because of
their enormous complexity - and nobody can deny that there isn't
anything simple about a turbine!

Someone on this thread mentioned 'loss of control surfaces' as one of
the many possible reasons - what does that mean? A hydraulic failure
that altogether prevents aileron, elevator and rudder control?

Ramapriya

Old August 28th 06, 04:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

Well, why then do you guys dread an engine failure more than anything
else?

Because most of the time, if we have an engine failure it's because we
put too much air in the tanks, and that's a pretty embarassing mistake.

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.
Old August 28th 06, 04:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Matt Whiting wrote:

I certainly always appreciate when ATC catches a mistake that I make or am about to
make, but as PIC the bottom line is that it is still my responsibility for any errors, not
ATC's.

And since in the instant case he's the only survivor, what he'll have
to say will make for interesting reading, although the loss of lives is
irreversible

Ramapriya

Old August 28th 06, 04:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Judah wrote:

If the answer is that they took off from the wrong runway, then the question becomes
what caused them to be unable to identify the runway as the wrong runway?

Do airport charts that pilots carry along not contain runway lengths?
If yes, there'd be another oversight.

Ramapriya

Old August 28th 06, 04:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Alex Pitschmann wrote:
I can see how they got disoriented in the dark (my guess)

Dark at 38N at 7am in Aug??

Ramapriya

Old August 28th 06, 05:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave Stadt

wrote in message
oups.com...
John Gaquin wrote:

Is there anyone here who actually knows? Is 3500 ft adequate for a
fairly
well loaded 202? It sounds short to me

Pardon my ignorance but what do you mean "Is 3500' adequate"? Doesn't
the PIC, as part of the pre-flight routine, estimate the maximum load
of the airplane given the runway length and other factors (water on the
tarmac, obstruction just beyond the runway, etc.), with assistance from
the flight dispatcher?

I know the Airbus A330 and 340 have a software called LTS to estimate
and do all this, given the loading configuration, and even suggest the
pitch trim setting.

Ramapriya

None of that does any good if you taxi to and attempt to takeoff from a
runway that is about half the length of of the runway you intended to use.

Old August 28th 06, 05:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll[_1_]

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message

It works well if you know what runway you are on. However, a runway can
be quite a ways off the magnetic azimuth before it gets renumbered so you
could easily be 5 degrees off on your DG setting.

As I said, it works quite well if you know the magnetic azimuth of the
runway.

Old August 28th 06, 05:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave Stadt

"Viperdoc" wrote in message
The PIC is not the only party responsible- for example, if given a heading
or other instruction and the pilot reads it back incorrectly, the ATC
controller will also held responsible for not catching the error on the
read back.

Not anymore.

Old August 28th 06, 05:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Gaquin

wrote in message

Well, why then do you guys dread an engine failure more than anything
else?

Most transport pilots don't, I think. There are a number of things I would
rate higher on the crucial scale than an engine failure. .