Cigarette Lighter Adapter- Cessna 172

Old August 3rd 06, 09:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Cigarette Lighter Adapter- Cessna 172

I've been flying for 7 years now, and a few weeks ago I attempted to
plug in my portable GPS unit into a 2003 172 and ... I couldn't. The
"standard" cigarette adapter has been replaced with a smaller
something. I didn't have time to look too closely as to what the new
outlet is. The GPS was just a backup and I was just going locally .

If anyone else has experienced this, I would appreciate any info on
what adapter I would need to continue to use the "old" cigarette size
plug and who sells them.

Thanks in advance.

Old August 3rd 06, 09:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

What brand and model is the GPS? Is it a smaller size power
adapter that came with the GPS or is the problem a change in
the cigarette lighter in the airplane?

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

ups.com...

Old August 3rd 06, 11:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

SPORTY's sells the specific Cessna adaptor.
http://www.sportys.com/acb/showdetl....ID=9591&DID=19
Now you can plug your handheld GPS into your new Cessna's electrical
system with this handy adapter. Simply insert the small end of the
connector into the airplane's 12 volt cabin power outlet, then plug your
GPS, radio or laptop into the female cigarette adapter end. The adapter
weighs almost nothing, but will stand up to almost any abuse. Measures 8
1/2 in. long.
Ordering Information
12V Cabin Power Connector
Item Number: 7826A
Price: $19.95
Old August 4th 06, 12:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RST Engineering

I could be wrong, but I think Cessna changed the size of the cigarette
lighter plug strictly because so many people were plugging their 12 volt
equipment into the 24 volt aircraft supply and blowing the supply up.

CAUTION. Cessna changed to a 24 volt system sometime in the late 70s/early
80s.

Jim

ups.com...

Old August 4th 06, 12:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Clark

Yea, really annoying thing. Only lasted one or two model years before
they went back to the standard lighter socket.

Old August 4th 06, 01:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Clark

All the new (since the line started back up) 172R/S models have
transformers. The outlets are 12V.

On Thu, 3 Aug 2006 16:02:08 -0700, "RST Engineering"
wrote:

I could be wrong, but I think Cessna changed the size of the cigarette
lighter plug strictly because so many people were plugging their 12 volt
equipment into the 24 volt aircraft supply and blowing the supply up.

CAUTION. Cessna changed to a 24 volt system sometime in the late 70s/early
80s.

Jim

oups.com...

Old August 4th 06, 04:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RST Engineering

I don't mean to be pedantic, but you can't "transform" a DC voltage;
transformers only work on AC. Do they use a center tap on the battery or a
regulator? If they use a regulator, it had damned well better be a hefty
one to take the slug of current that a cigarette lighter draws.

Jim

Old August 4th 06, 05:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

Do people really smoke cigarettes while flying?

My instrument flight instructor did, but not when I was in the plane.

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.
Old August 4th 06, 08:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Grumman-581[_1_]

agbangsit On 3 Aug 2006 20:40:39 -0700, "Andrew Sarangan"
wrote:
Do people really smoke cigarettes while flying?

If a person is seriously addicted to them, then yeah, I suspect so...
Hell, I've seen people who have had a laryngectomy or tracheostomy due
to cancer from smoking end up later smoking through the hole in their
neck... Even though I've never smoked, I don't want to give up my
lighter plug in my aircraft or any of my cars... I use them for too
many other gadgets that I don't want to do without... I even built my
own 9 Ah power supply box out of a boating dry-box with a bulkhead
mounted lighter-type port for a 12VDC supply... It also has a bulkhead
computer power cord type receptacle so that I can plug it into the
wall for charging... Standard lead acid type battery, but sealed, so I
can carry it on commercial airliners... Lets me have a small portable
DVD player with me and not have to worry about how long the battery
might last... OK, to be more precise, it lets Grace & Kaitlyn have it
with them and I don't have to listen to them complain about not having
enough battery power for an entire day wasted travelling...