Attempted response to Andrew-S - SAS DC-8.jpg (1/1)

Old August 2nd 07, 07:21 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Dave W

Default Attempted response to Andrew-S - SAS DC-8.jpg (1/1)

On Thu, 2 Aug 2007 02:53:18 -0400, "Andrew-S"
I-Still-Hate-Spammers@Sorry-I had-to-leave-for-bit.com wrote:

Here is a challenge to everyone who responds to this long winded reply

of
mine.
Post an image with your reply and let's see what the group produces.

Never posted a picture before, so this may not work. I just had a bunch
of slides scanned. The slides were old, some were in pretty sorry shape
and the scanning service left a bit to be desired.

Anyway, if this posts properly, you'll see what I think is a DC-8 which
used to stop in Sondrestrom AFB whilst shuttling between Los Angeles and
Copenhagen. If not, well I guess you'll see this message and I'll look
like a fool.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAS DC-8.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	15423
Old August 2nd 07, 07:39 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Dave W

Default Attempted response to Andrew-S - SAS DC-8.jpg (1/1) - Grnlnd Lncstr-1.jpg (1/1)

In article ,
Dave W wrote:

On Thu, 2 Aug 2007 02:53:18 -0400, "Andrew-S"
I-Still-Hate-Spammers@Sorry-I had-to-leave-for-bit.com wrote:

Here is a challenge to everyone who responds to this long winded reply

of
mine.
Post an image with your reply and let's see what the group produces.

Never posted a picture before, so this may not work. I just had a bunch
of slides scanned. The slides were old, some were in pretty sorry shape
and the scanning service left a bit to be desired.

Anyway, if this posts properly, you'll see what I think is a DC-8 which
used to stop in Sondrestrom AFB whilst shuttling between Los Angeles and
Copenhagen. If not, well I guess you'll see this message and I'll look
like a fool.

That seemed to work, so I'll try again.

Dave W.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grnlnd Lncstr-1.jpg (140.5 KB, 45 views)
Old August 2nd 07, 07:41 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Dave W

Default Attempted response to Andrew-S - SAS DC-8.jpg (1/1) - Grnlnd Lncstr-2.jpg (1/1)

In article ,
Dave W wrote:

On Thu, 2 Aug 2007 02:53:18 -0400, "Andrew-S"
I-Still-Hate-Spammers@Sorry-I had-to-leave-for-bit.com wrote:

Here is a challenge to everyone who responds to this long winded reply

of
mine.
Post an image with your reply and let's see what the group produces.

Never posted a picture before, so this may not work. I just had a bunch
of slides scanned. The slides were old, some were in pretty sorry shape
and the scanning service left a bit to be desired.

Anyway, if this posts properly, you'll see what I think is a DC-8 which
used to stop in Sondrestrom AFB whilst shuttling between Los Angeles and
Copenhagen. If not, well I guess you'll see this message and I'll look
like a fool.

Same plane, different pose.

Dave W.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grnlnd Lncstr-2.jpg (148.5 KB, 45 views)

Old August 3rd 07, 03:42 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Andrew-S

Now this is interesting...
Isn't this that Lanc that was rescued a few years ago from memorial
duties???
Spend an hour or two in Photoshop doing restoration and you have the makings
of an excellent image... If you need help ask!!! Because it really does
have the makings of a very image. Did you take it???

Andrew

Old August 3rd 07, 01:15 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Dave W

In article ,
wrote:

Now this is interesting...
Isn't this that Lanc that was rescued a few years ago from memorial
duties???
Spend an hour or two in Photoshop doing restoration and you have the makings
of an excellent image... If you need help ask!!! Because it really does
have the makings of a very image. Did you take it???

Andrew

I don't know anything of this aircraft's history after I snapped these
pics. This was the summer of 1962 and I was working the control tower
shift (not in air traffic control, but taking weather observations).

The Lancaster was, I think, there for search and rescue. The USA was
bringing a large number of aircraft back from Europe following the
Berlin crisis. We had I don't know how many planes come through over a
two or three day period. The ramp was practically full of jet fighters
during that period. Since it was summer the operation could continue 24
hours per day (midnight sun, an all that). Once they were over the ice
cap Sondrestrom was the only option for most of these aircraft so it was
important to keep the single runway open. They placed a bulldozer beside
the runway. If anybody lost it, the plan was for the dozer to shove the
remains out of the way so the rest of the planes could get in.
Fortunately the dozer was not used. Nobody lost it in this big
operation. No glacier girl type incidents.

I've been practically living in Photoshop since I got my slides scanned
(about 1300 of the them, but only a hundred or two from my Air Force
days). I'm going to try to paste a picture of a terrified kid on the
nose of the Lancaster. That would be cool, yes? ;^)

Thanks for the kind comments, Andrew.

Best regards,
Dave W.
Old August 4th 07, 09:13 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Ken Murphy

Dave - both of the Lancaster photos came thru garbled on both my
servers. Could you please re-send under new names please.

I totally agree with Andrew S regarding the subject - everybody should
have these photos.

Thanks. Ken

Old August 5th 07, 02:17 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Dave W

Default Attempted response to Andrew-S - SAS DC-8.jpg (1/1) - Grnlnd Lncstr-1.jpg (1/1) - attached files (1/2)

Old August 5th 07, 02:18 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Dave W

Default Attempted response to Andrew-S - SAS DC-8.jpg (1/1) - Grnlnd Lncstr-1.jpg (1/1) - attached files (2/2)

Old August 5th 07, 03:04 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Ken Murphy

Dave - thank you so much. Both came thru perfectly this time.

Ken

On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 08:17:57 -0500, Dave W wrote:

In article ,
Ken Murphy wrote:

Dave - both of the Lancaster photos came thru garbled on both my
servers. Could you please re-send under new names please.

I totally agree with Andrew S regarding the subject - everybody should
have these photos.

Thanks. Ken

Hmmm... wonder how that happened. I shortened the names to Lncstr-1 &
Lncstr2.jpg and will attempt to attach both here. If this don't work I
could email them to you.

Regards,
Dave