Manual for Schweitzer 2-32

Old November 19th 06, 08:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Daniel L. Lieberman

Default Manual for Schweitzer 2-32

I will be learning to fly a Schweitzer 2-32 after Thanksgiving.

Does anyone know where I can get a POH that will list generic payload and
Vspeeds etc.

TIA.

Daniel L. Lieberman

Old November 19th 06, 09:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Pete Brown

We have electronic copies of the following manuals on our
Alaska Mountain Soaring group in our files section:

SGS 1-34, 2-32, 2-33, ASK-21, L-13, L-23, and Pilatus B-4.

Anyone can sign up and download the manuals. No spamming or
mail if you follow the Yahoo directions carefully on joining
the group. We have electronic copies of both the SGS 2-33
and 2-32 manuals.

Pete Brown
Alaska Mountain Soaring Assn.

--

Peter D. Brown
http://home.gci.net/~pdb/

Old November 19th 06, 11:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

Great glider - lots of fun, comfortable, runs with a G-103. Climbs OK
if you really crank it over and slow it down to just above stall - just
pay attention to the yaw string and the prestall nibble.

Awesome terminal velocity divebrakes - worth a high tow to check them
out. No excuse for ever getting slow in the pattern - just come in
high and fast and slow down on final.

Lands in a real flat attitude - have to resist the temptation to land
really low-energy as it's real easy to touch the tailwheel first.

Spins nice, too!

Flies better from the backseat - just make sure the stick is secure -
it can get exciting on takeoff when you think the stick is starting to
come out of it's socket!

Kirk
66

Old November 20th 06, 12:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gunnar

Go to:

www.soarboulder.org

Look under fleet, there is a manual posted there for our 2-32.

It can bite you!

Gunnar

Old November 20th 06, 01:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Daniel L. Lieberman

Pete,

Thanks for the manual, The only thing it lacks is an empty weight.( Or I
missed it. ) I think there will not be any problem with me weighing 230.

Once again, thanks.

Daniel

Old November 20th 06, 03:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
5Z

On Nov 19, 4:30 pm, "kirk.stant" wrote:
Awesome terminal velocity divebrakes - worth a high tow to check them
out. No excuse for ever getting slow in the pattern - just come in
high and fast and slow down on final.

Back in the 1970's, Les Horvath used to do an airshow routine in one.
The landing pattern was interesting....

Fly downwind right over the runway at 800-1000' AGL, then at some
distance beyond the threshold, he'd open the dive brakes and push over
into a vertical dive, roll 180 and pull out of the dive and complete
the landing.

Pretty cool!

-Tom

Old November 20th 06, 05:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

Back in the 1970's, Les Horvath used to do an airshow routine in one.
The landing pattern was interesting....

Fly downwind right over the runway at 800-1000' AGL, then at some
distance beyond the threshold, he'd open the dive brakes and push over
into a vertical dive, roll 180 and pull out of the dive and complete
the landing.

Pretty cool!

-Tom

Roger that! One day at Estrella (back around 1977, I think) I watched
Les practice his airshow routine. He finished with a reverse half
cuban 8 from the deck to a landing - with his wife in the front seat!

That 2-32 later was crashed - as far as I know the remains are still in
the weeds and creosote bushes next to the hangar at Estrella...

The 2-32 is the one Schweizer that should still be in production, IMHO.

Kirk

Old November 20th 06, 09:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill Daniels

When the 2-32 was first introduced into Southern California in a
promotional tour around 1964, the slapping of foreheads by the aeronautical
engineering community sounded like applause at Carnegie Hall.
Why, they asked, did you use an old NACA turbulent flow airfoil at the wing
tips which had a very sharp stall and linearly interpolate to a gentle
stalling laminar flow section at the root? What do you call the section in
between? Why do the tips stall before the root? Do you understand
stall/spin behavior?

The structural engineers wondered aloud about the very light wings and very
heavy fuselage. They had been schooled to see any "oil canning" of wing
skins as totally unacceptable. Needless to say, they were appalled by the
2-32's wing skins.

Pilots used to Dick Schreders and Irv Prue's designs asked why such a large
glider had such poor performance. This bad impression was exceeded only by
the introduction of the 2-33 a few months later.

The first Libelle's, Phoebii and Diamonts were introduced about the same
time. One instantly felt that this was an inflection point in aeronautics.
As they say, the rest is history.

Bill Daniels

oups.com...

Old November 21st 06, 02:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

Bill Daniels wrote:

Pilots used to Dick Schreders and Irv Prue's designs asked why such a large
glider had such poor performance. This bad impression was exceeded only by
the introduction of the 2-33 a few months later.

The first Libelle's, Phoebii and Diamonts were introduced about the same
time. One instantly felt that this was an inflection point in aeronautics.
As they say, the rest is history.

Poor performance? It's better than any other 3-seat glider out there!

And on a strong day, it doesn't give up a lot to a G-103 or ASK-21.

Especially if all three spend all their lives tied out and working
hard. When the last plastic pig has been chopped up and carted off,
there will probably still be a 2-32 giving rides with giggling
teenagers or grandfathers and grandsons in the back seat (unless the
last one has spun in, of course - the glider, not the grandfather).

Comparing the Beast to an HP, Prue, or single seat glass is like
comparing a potato to a grape! Or vodka to wine, come to think of it.

Totally concur about the 2-33, though - what were they thinking!

Kirk
66

Old November 21st 06, 04:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Lots of people seem to get a lot of joy from bad mouthing the
Schweitzer sailplanes, but where would we be, here in the USA, without
them? At least those two brothers were actually designing and building
sailplanes for the market here! Since they quit building sailplanes,
nobody, except Windward Design, has had the balls to put into
production, any sailplanes here in the USA. How many people would have
never gone up in a sailplane if the Schweitzers hadn't built so many
of them? How much more expensive would the plastic sailplanes that are
here in the USA be, then and now, if it weren't for the hundreds of
Schweitzers, built here, and still soaring here, coast to coast, every
weekend. They don't look all that sexy, and they fall out of the sky
when you leave the lift, but it sure beats being on the ground! The
back seat is uncomfortable, but I've spent many hours having and
sharing lots of fun, and incredible beauty, that would not have
happened if it had not been for the brothers Schweitzer! Show me a
plastic two place, in good shape, for $10,000! So until The Government
decides to spend $4000,000,000.00 on new plastic sailplanes for all the
soaring pilots here, instead of Policing the world, I'll keep soaring
my Schweitzer 2-33, and Schweitzer 2-32, and you'll not hear me bitch
about them,....much. I've been having more fun than one person
should be allowed to have, winching my Schweitzers!