PDE

Old February 21st 08, 04:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Big John[_2_]

Default PDE

AW&ST reported in issue I received today that a Long-EZ flew down
runway at Mojave with a PDE.

Engine developed more than 200 lbs of thrust and fired at around 80
Hz. PDE replaced a Lyc 0-235.

Big John
Old February 21st 08, 12:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke[_2_]

"Big John" wrote:

AW&ST reported in issue I received today that a Long-EZ flew down
runway at Mojave with a PDE.

Engine developed more than 200 lbs of thrust and fired at around 80
Hz. PDE replaced a Lyc 0-235.

PULSED DETONATION POWERED AIRCRAFT MOVES CLOSER TO FIRST FLIGHT:

The Pulsed Detonation Flight Program recently commenced ground testing at

Scaled Composites, Inc. in Mojave, California. On the first day of hot-fire
testing, thrust and

acoustics were successfully checked out. Acoustic levels in front of the
aircraft, including the

cockpit area, were significantly less than those measured in the laboratory at
Wright-Patterson

AFB, Ohio. Acoustic levels behind the aircraft were as previously predicted.
Ground testing was

audible at distances exceeding five miles from the airport runway

Old February 21st 08, 12:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Denny

Acoustic levels behind the aircraft were as previously predicted.
Ground testing was

audible at distances exceeding five miles from the airport runway

The moment that PDE engines start showing up in populated areas they
will be summarily banned just like the Concorde...
I have stood less than a hundred feet off the starboard wing of the
Concorde as it started its takeoff run and thoroughly enjoyed the
noise and the chest pounding - though I am sure the subdivisions near
the airport were scandalized......
I have stood five hundred feet (or more) from a modestly sized pulse
jet engine that was being tested (roughly 100 pounds of thrust) on a
rotating arm and absolutely could not stand it, I had to leave at a
dead run...

denny
Old February 22nd 08, 05:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

"Dan Luke" wrote in
:

audible at distances exceeding five miles from the airport runway

Oh I must have one.

Bertie