Accidents happen...

Old November 25th 04, 06:57 PM
CHANGE USERNAME TO westes

"Roger" wrote in message
news
I've had the Deb stall in level flight at 5500 feet on a beautiful
clear day.

Do you have any theories about what caused that one? I gather you were
not practicing stalls or slow flight?

--
Will
westes AT earthbroadcast.com

Old November 26th 04, 04:31 AM
C Kingsbury

Dylan Smith wrote in message ...
In article , CHANGE USERNAME TO westes wrote:
How do you use prop on a single engine plane to improve alignment to the
runway? Rudder and ailerons I understand. And on a dual engine airplane I

In a tractor configured (i.e. engine and prop on the nose, single fin
directly in line with the fuselage and in the propwash) single engine
plane, at low speeds the propwash over the tail surfaces make the rudder
much more effective if you give the engine some power.

Bingo.

-cwk.
Old November 27th 04, 10:47 PM
Roger

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 10:57:14 -0800, "CHANGE USERNAME TO westes"
wrote:

"Roger" wrote in message
news
I've had the Deb stall in level flight at 5500 feet on a beautiful
clear day.

Do you have any theories about what caused that one? I gather you were
not practicing stalls or slow flight?

Clear air turbulence. It could have been wake turbulence but there
were no reported aircraft in the area.

It had been a smooth ride. I hit a pretty hard bump, followed by
another with in a few seconds. I brought the power back and slowed to
Va. I hit another still harder bump. The next one left me looking at
the ground, but at 140MPH plus the nose came right back up. I don't
think the altitude changed a 100 feet.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old November 28th 04, 01:52 AM
Roger

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 03:30:09 GMT, "C Kingsbury"
wrote:

"BTIZ" wrote in message
and what is the published max demonstrated crosswind ??
less than 20knts in my guess..

I've landed my 172 in 30 knot crosswinds, as in 25g40 knot winds
perpendicular to the runway. Sure as hell not with more than one notch down,
though. Fun ride it was.

The number in the book is for a plane at gross weight with the engine at
idle. It's the number at which the rudder runs out of effectiveness to keep
the nose aligned with the runway. So you blow it over with the prop. Of

I sure hope your instructor didn't come up with that.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the planes real capabilities.

The figure in the book has only one meaning. It was the wind on the
day the cross wind landing capability was tested and has very little
to do with what the plane can actually do in stronger wings.

My Deb has a 12 knot demonstrated cross wind component. I've taken
off and landed a the cross wind component of 25.

course if it's a short field and you're near gross, then you're going to be
a lot closer to what the book says. But a 15-kt crosswind is nothing for a
lightly-loaded plane as long as the pilot knows what he's doing.

It depends on the airplane.
If the slip to land is used you know if you have enough aileron and
rudder to keep the plane tracking and aligned with the runway.

Old November 28th 04, 06:43 AM
Roger

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 18:02:35 -0800, "BTIZ"
wrote:

and what is the published max demonstrated crosswind ??
less than 20knts in my guess..

Which has nothing to do with real life.

but I agree.. 40 degree flaps in a cross wind is not a good idea..
even less so for a Cessna

I would agree for a gusty cross wind, but not a steady wind.

OTOH it does depend on the airplane.
I always used full flaps in the Cherokee. Never found a reason not to
and I flew in a lot of windy conditions.

Then again I've landed a 150 in some very strong cross winds and I
used full flaps. However which every configuration you choose, work
up to it. Just because some one else does it doesn't mean you can use
any particular configuration in wind conditions you haven't
experienced before.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

snip
Old November 28th 04, 11:32 AM
Roger

"BTIZ" wrote in message
and what is the published max demonstrated crosswind ??
less than 20knts in my guess..

It also depends on how you're loaded. As the CG moves back
the rudder is working off a shorter arm in trying to pivot the
airplane straight. With a more forward CG it's effectiveness
will stay to a lower airspeed. The real bottom line is whether
or not you can keep the nose straight with the amount of
aileron needed to stay over the centerline.

The max demonstrated number is a good guideline for your
average pilot. For those that fly in areas of the country with
high winds a lot of the time they get a little more skilled at
handling the xw.