Flarm in the US

Old August 10th 10, 07:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

Default Flarm in the US

Sorry to spam the thread. Just noticed on the Craggy website that the
powerFLARM _does_ include IGC flight logging. Cool!

http://www.craggyaero.com/powerflarm.htm

--Noel
Old August 10th 10, 07:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T8

On Aug 10, 2:04*pm, "noel.wade" wrote:
Sorry to spam the thread. *Just noticed on the Craggy website that the
powerFLARM _does_ include IGC flight logging. *Cool!

http://www.craggyaero.com/powerflarm.htm

--Noel

Details, please, if anyone has them. It seems unlikely that it would
include an aneroid altimeter or engine run monitor... perhaps it is
good enough to be a backup logger for comp use? How does one extract
the logs?

-T8
Old August 10th 10, 07:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tuno

Andy --

I'm unable to load the FLARM web page to investigate, but I'm curious
about "intelligent alerting based on glider flight characteristics."
Can you (or anyone) confirm that PowerFLARMs would have detected (and
warned) last week's head-on in Uvalde?

What glider flight characteristics in particular play into FLARM's
algorithms?

~ted/2NO
Old August 10th 10, 07:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

How does one extract
the logs?

http://af-design.com/blog/wp-content...er-300x225.jpg
....or I hear Bob K. has a sawzall in case that doesn't work

Seriously though, great discussion, carry on.

Old August 10th 10, 07:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

How does one extract
the logs?

....ultimate log extractor: http://www.techfresh.net/wp-content/...ing-spider.jpg

FWIW I think the contest rental idea sounds like a great plan, and I'm
sure the FLARM guys would come down in price for bulk reasons as well
as the promotional factor.

Beyond discounted units for contest rentals, I think it would be in
FLARM's interests as well to sell the first hundred or two units in
USA for a significant discount to get the ball rolling towards
critical mass.

-Paul

Old August 10th 10, 07:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Nicholas[_2_]

My understanding is that Flarm uses a pressure capsule anyway for
height information, not GPS height. The IGC version certainly uses the
pressure capsule for height verification, and it comes with a
calibration chart.

If you opt for the engine sensing function on the logger, I presume it
uses a microphone, though I don't know for sure.

If you can't get into the Flarm website, you could try accessing the
UK agents website at:

http://www.lxavionics.co.uk/traffic-monitor.htm

for PowerFlarm, and there is a link on that page to the other Flarm
options.

I should mention that I have no commercial interest in this at all,
except as a satisfied customer.

Chris N
Old August 10th 10, 07:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Aug 10, 11:19*am, T8 wrote:
Details, please, if anyone has them. *It seems unlikely that it would
include an aneroid altimeter or engine run monitor... perhaps it is
good enough to be a backup logger for comp use? *How does one extract
the logs?

The specification indicates that it includes a baro sensor and has a
micro SD card slot.

I saw nothing that indicates it is intended to be an IGC approved
recorder but, as far as I know, the product is still in development
and the web site may not be current. The specs are certainly quite
sparse.

Andy
Old August 10th 10, 07:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Aug 10, 11:53*am, Andy wrote:
The specs are certainly quite
sparse.

But do include "integrated microphone" so ENL looks possible.
Old August 10th 10, 08:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann

On 8/10/2010 1:01 PM, noel.wade wrote:
On Aug 10, 10:51 am, Mike
wrote:

If you are flying in a remote area, outside of radar coverage, there is
a very good chance that a transponder equipped aircraft will not be
interrogated on a regular basis, and, as a result, will NOT show up on
PowerFlarm or other PCAS type units.

Mike - that's why powerFLARM includes FLARM and ADS-B detection, in
addition to Mode C/S Transponder interrogation replies. So powerFLARM
gives you the ability to detect any aircraft equipped with any of
these systems.

And note that until the entire GA fleet is equipped with ADS-B (in
2020 or beyond), the ONLY system that is actively transmitting all the
time is the FLARM protocol! Its the best guarantee among aircraft in
close proximity, no matter where they're flying or what radar coverage
they do/don't have.

ADS-B holds the same "always on" promise of FLARM, but the difference
is that FLARM is a developed product whereas ADS-B is still 5 - 15
years away.

--Noel

The problem with PowerFlarm is that it does not include ADS-B Out. As a
result, it doesn't reliably receive any ADS-B in traffic data from a
ground station. If this was a true ADS-B In and Out solution, it would
be great, but it is not.

As far as ADS-B being 5-15 years out, that is a complete misconception.
Navworx is currently shipping their ADS-B transceiver, which includes
ADS-B In and Out. The entire east coast already has ADS-B ground
station coverage. The ground station rollout for the entire country
should be completed by the end of 2012.

--
Mike Schumann
Old August 10th 10, 08:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

On Aug 10, 12:16*pm, Mike Schumann
wrote:

The problem with PowerFlarm is that it does not include ADS-B Out. *As a
result, it doesn't reliably receive any ADS-B in traffic data from a
ground station. *If this was a true ADS-B In and Out solution, it would

Mike - Weren't you just debating about flying out of range of ground
stations, when talking about transponders? ADS-B from ground stations
falls into the same category.

In close proximity, I would expect ADS-B Out from another aircraft to
trigger my powerFLARM (ADS-B In) solution directly; no need for a
ground station relay!

--Noel

IGC FLARM DLL [email protected] Soaring 1 March 25th 08 11:27 AM
WinPilot ADV & PRO 9.0b Flarm Richard[_1_] Soaring 15 February 6th 08 09:49 PM
FLARM Robert Hart Soaring 50 March 16th 06 11:20 PM
Flarm Mal Soaring 4 October 19th 05 08:44 AM
FLARM John Galloway Soaring 9 November 27th 04 07:16 AM