Hauling airplane

Old January 12th 05, 07:05 PM
hjim

Default Hauling airplane

I'm looking at a Kitfox airplane. The wings fold for tranporting. Total
lenght is 22' width 6' 11". Total weight 650#s. The plane is in San
Diego going to Wisconsin. Has anyone ever hire a trucking company to
move a airplane?
Thanks, JR
Old January 12th 05, 11:38 PM
Margy Natalie

We had the wings removed from ours and put on a trailer. We hooked the
trailer up to the Suburban and drove that sucker from VA to NE. It was a
LOOOONG drive (but we did get to stay in the Wright Brothers suite at the
Alexis Park Inn which was nice, but would have been nicer if it hadn't been
January!).

Margy

Old January 13th 05, 04:21 AM
Jay Honeck

We had the wings removed from ours and put on a trailer. We hooked the
trailer up to the Suburban and drove that sucker from VA to NE. It was a
LOOOONG drive (but we did get to stay in the Wright Brothers suite at the
Alexis Park Inn which was nice, but would have been nicer if it hadn't
been
January!).

Yeah, you guys gotta come when it's like today instead. 35 degree rain!

Better yet, make it a summer trip. Is the plane done yet?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 13th 05, 04:37 AM
Jack Allison

Is the plane done yet?

I've been wondering the same thing Jay. Just tonight in fact. A
conversation with my wife went along the lines of: if I wind up in a
partnership on a '67 Arrow that would qualify me for vintage camping at
Oshkosh...vintage is where Ron and Margie hang out...Ron and Margie are
the ones that hauled their Navion all over creation...I wonder if it's
done yet? Then I read this post. Funny.

So, Ron and Margie...inquiring minds in Iowa and California want to know
what's the status of the plane?

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL, IA Student, airplane partnership student

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Old January 13th 05, 04:58 AM

hjim wrote:
I'm looking at a Kitfox airplane. The wings fold for tranporting.

Total
lenght is 22' width 6' 11". Total weight 650#s. The plane is in San
Diego going to Wisconsin. Has anyone ever hire a trucking company to
move a airplane?

If you have experience hauling trailers, it's a heck of a lot cheaper
to buy a 22' flat bed trailer and do it your self. Then sell the
trailer when you are done. A Kitfox is large enough that it will take
up half a commercial trailer minimum and will require special handling
to load and secure properly to prevent any damage. Expect to pay
somewhere north of $4k to have it done right.

As a data point, I have a friend that is a hot-shoter and has
experience carrying outsized and exotic cargo. He quoted me a cut rate
of about $4k to move my Aero Commander from Phoenix to Fort Worth, and
that depends on what he can get for a haul to Phoenix going to get my
load.

A couple of my partners and I have hauled project aircraft all over the
southern US and it's not a big deal, just take the time to do it right.
Craig C.

Old January 13th 05, 05:35 AM

This wouldn't apply to anything other than very local
transport, but there is a guy where I live that tows
his kitfox to and from the airport on it's own wheels.
The tires are extra large, and he made an adapter to
attach the rear of the fuselage to his trailer hitch.
Seems to work just fine - and his cost of using the
airport is zero.

As recommended by another poster, I'd recommend buying
a suitable trailer (new) near the pickup point, then
selling it after the move is over. Of course you could
always keep the trailer and use it to transport the
plane to and from the airport as well. Not a bad idea
if you have a barn or shed to store it in.

David Johnson

Old January 13th 05, 11:05 PM
Margy Natalie

Ok, the current story with the plane. Last we spoke to the mechanic
(father/son shop) we were waiting for an acutator for the left gear and a 337
(can't fly without the paperwork) and dad is in the hospital seriously
(fatally?) ill. We aren't the type to call and bug in this situation (which
probably means the other 4 planes in the shop are being worked on and ours
isn't). It will be ready, when it's ready.

Margy

Old January 14th 05, 02:26 AM
Jay Honeck

Ok, the current story with the plane. Last we spoke to the mechanic
(father/son shop) we were waiting for an acutator for the left gear and a
337
(can't fly without the paperwork) and dad is in the hospital seriously
(fatally?) ill. We aren't the type to call and bug in this situation
(which
probably means the other 4 planes in the shop are being worked on and ours
isn't). It will be ready, when it's ready.

Wow, that's an incredibly bad break -- sorry to hear it.

I hope you two are finding decent planes to rent in the meantime, just to
keep current?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA