Flight plan hell, Tales of filing an ADIZ flight plan

Old July 12th 05, 12:25 PM
John T

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message

Documented where?

There is no official documentation I know of. I only know of this feature
from the published experiences of pilots on local mail lists and
discussions.

I do agree with your point, though. It's stuff like this that makes
transient flying in the ADIZ a bit risky. It may help for folks travelling
to the area to bookmark this link:

http://www.dcpilots.org

It has a searchable archive, but I admit unless you knew what you were
looking for, stuff like the EMI-ZNY link would be hard to discover.

--
John T
http://tknowlogy.com/TknoFlyer

Old July 12th 05, 01:20 PM
Michelle P

Since I was going into the FRZ I could not air file. I have to call on
the phone. That is why I landed.
Michelle

John Theune wrote:

Michelle P wrote:

Well it was new to me. I usually do not try to enter from the
direction.
Michelle

John T wrote:

"Michelle P" wrote in
message ink.net

It turns out that the default routing code for Flight plans
originating at Westminster (EMI) is New York center. ...
So next time you file from the north over EMI Make you the Briefer
enters the correct routing code so you flight plan is available.

This is a pretty well documented "feature" of the ADIZ. As soon as
I saw EMI in your story, I knew what was coming.

This would explain what happened to me returning from New York over
Memorial day. I had filed with leeburgs and when I got near Golda
called up and they had no record of it. Filed from the air and it
still took a long while for them to get it. probable cost me 1/2
hours of cirling to get back in.

john

Old July 12th 05, 01:24 PM
Michelle P

It is a hiarcical (sp?) structure not an flat one. It cannot get from
one FSS to another without a request.
Michelle

Doug wrote:

I've never understood why ALL flight plans can't be available to ALL
FFS's, Centers, Approaches and even Fligh****ches. Type in an N number
and you get all unexpired flight plans for that N number out of one
central database.

This would stop this "what FSS did you file with" question.

Although there might be some way to use this to your advantage.

Old July 12th 05, 04:45 PM
Denny

Michelle, when I visit the area I'll be sure to hire you to file the
flight plans and ride shotgun...
jeez, what a nightmare...

denny

Old July 12th 05, 11:05 PM
john smith

I am guessing that the best solution is to request the ATC facility
Watch Desk telephone number from the briefer you file your flight plan
with and then call the watch desk from the ramp prior to engine start
and verify with the ATC facility that they do indeed have your flight plan.
Old July 12th 05, 11:19 PM

john smith wrote:
I am guessing that the best solution is to request the ATC facility
Watch Desk telephone number from the briefer you file your flight plan
with and then call the watch desk from the ramp prior to engine start
and verify with the ATC facility that they do indeed have your flight plan.

Oh boy, personnel have to drop what they're doing and answer all these
calls.
They have enough problems just tracking and reporting hijacked
airliners.

JG

Old July 13th 05, 01:19 AM
Michelle P

When I am flying out of or into the FRZ Directly I do call and get a
code before leaving the ground.
I was 40 minutes from my entry point and the approach control does not
have the flight plan until about 20 minutes before. I believed calling
FSS and verifying the existence would be ok since once they have been
filed and verified I have had only a couple of flight plans lost.
Michelle