Huge Forward Fin Antenna on Bell 212??

Old July 21st 05, 03:03 PM

Default Huge Forward Fin Antenna on Bell 212??

What is the purpose of this huge fin sometimes found on 212's?

I've seen these in my work, but never on any other ships except the 212
(maybe 214 too?).

Anyone?

http://www.kaiho.mlit.go.jp/gallery/ap/bell212.jpg

Old July 21st 05, 04:50 PM
Chuck Kemp @ send no stinking spam

The "Dorsal Fin" you speak of was installed to augment stability for the
Bell AFCS system on early model 212's prior to the installation of the
Sperry/Honeywell system. I believe that Bell introduce an TB a few years
ago that allows the removal of the fin so not many aircraft have it
installed anymore. It was also useful as a grab hold when climbing up on
top of the deck...

"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net wrote in
message ...
On 21 Jul 2005 07:03:40 -0700, wrote:

What is the purpose of this huge fin sometimes found on 212's?

I've seen these in my work, but never on any other ships except the 212
(maybe 214 too?).

Anyone?

http://www.kaiho.mlit.go.jp/gallery/ap/bell212.jpg

Oh that giudes any wires you might strike right up to the main mast to
cleanly separate the mains from the mast. You don't want any extra
"suff" up there causing vibrations as you plummet to your death.

Never seen that fin before.. I'd be interested to find out what it
does myself..

I Hate Radios Ron Wanttaja Home Built 9 June 6th 05 05:39 PM
ELT antenna -- Pitts Al MacDonald Home Built 0 July 15th 04 03:27 PM
Ext antenna connection for handheld radio Ray Andraka Owning 7 March 5th 04 01:10 PM
comm's RX antenna acepilot Home Built 5 March 3rd 04 05:34 PM
LS-4 Transponder antenna location? Matt Herron Soaring 3 February 25th 04 03:45 PM