New Glider Dream Elon Musk Flow

Old February 11th 18, 07:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default New Glider Dream Elon Musk Flow

How about one that flys backwards?

A canard gives lift instead of the horizontal stab pushing the tail down.

Also gives a nice high place to put the FES.

Also might put more crush space in front of the pilot.
Old February 11th 18, 07:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kiwi User

On Sun, 11 Feb 2018 09:54:40 -0800, krasw wrote:

On Sunday, 11 February 2018 18:10:18 UTC+2, Kiwi User wrote:
On Sun, 11 Feb 2018 06:36:15 -0800, krasw wrote:

All gliders should be made of wood.

I'd settle for new-build Std Libelles with a revised, safety cockpit
structure.

If you crash glider, you will arrive at accident scene quarter inch
after your glider structure. No safety cockpit will make fatal crashes
survivable.

Sure, but the cockpit structure Schleicher introduced with the ASW-24 was
a big improvement on previous ones for pilot survivability. One of the
competition pilots in my club walked away from an almost totalled ASW-28
and reckons she'd have been a lot worse off in any earlier generation
cockpit.

Or fly-by-wire control system that prevents pilot to do anything stupid.

I'm somewhat unconvinced about that. Watch the AA pilot lecture he
https://vimeo.com/159496346

Old February 11th 18, 08:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kiwi User

On Sun, 11 Feb 2018 10:52:02 -0800, stu857xx wrote:

How about one that flys backwards?

A canard gives lift instead of the horizontal stab pushing the tail
down.

It's been tried a few times in the competition Free Flight model building
world. Its easy to to make them fly quite well. I lost one, a 27" McCanard
with a TeeDee .010 on it, upward in a thermal. I remember it was quite
easy to trim, but had no d/t provision on the plan so I hadn't fitted
one: hence it climbing several hundred feet on the glide and disapearing
over a hill.

Doug Joyce got into the US F1C team with a set of canard models but,
whoile the climb was good, they didn't glide as well as conventional
layout models. The problem is that the main lifting surface has to
operate at a lower AOA than the foreplane because the latter MUST stall
first for the aircraft to be stable. This means that in almost all cases
the mainplane will be operating at a less than optimal AOA.

Old February 11th 18, 08:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Agreed, I can't speak for other MFR's, but in the ASx line since the -24, it's about as good as you can get without being in a sorta newer metal ship (like a 1-35).
I've been to a couple nose ins in some other brands of "glass gliders" and the cockpit "egg shells" about where the pilots knees are.
Thus, lower legs take the brunt of the impact.

Best bet, don't crash..........
Next best bet, metal glider.
Close behind, a ASx series in/after the -24.

As stated, not sure how others are doing in newer ship designs, I can only comment on AS.

Old February 11th 18, 09:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

On Sunday, February 11, 2018 at 12:52:05 PM UTC-6, wrote:
How about one that flys backwards?

A canard gives lift instead of the horizontal stab pushing the tail down.

Also gives a nice high place to put the FES.

Also might put more crush space in front of the pilot.

Burt Rutan tried it, and won an SSA contest with his design - mostly because he was Burt Rutan, not because the glider (Solitaire) was any good - because it basically sucked as a glider and was hideous to look at to boot.

Think about the aerodynamics of gliders a bit (in thermalling flight) and it's easy to see why.

And by the way, in cruise, my LS-6's tail isn't pushing the tail down, either - and with the CG adjusted correctly isn't pushing down much while thermalling either. Look up "decalage" if this doesn't make any sense.

Many of the ideas in this interesting thread have been tried: Telescoping wings, variable geometry, flexible skins (there are two Speed Astirs at our field with that feature!).

I'd like to see new, automated building procedures and materials that would result in stronger, lighter, more accurately profiled (and re-profiled, when needed) gliders. Active BLC could add a few percent performance, but why? Keep it simple, cost down, light enough for a small FES to get you home, and revamp the cockpit to better display all the data that is available (air data, weather, other aircraft, etc.). My idea panel would have one big display with everything on it for navigation, tactics and weather, and all performance data (airspeed, altitude, attitude, climb, AOA, STF, etc) projected on the visor of a lightweight, positionally tracked helmet. Directional audio so you can hear where the center of the thermal is. Icons showing where all the traffic (FLARM, ADS-B, PCAS) is in the vicinity, as well as navigation and thermal markers (where someone else just climbed).

Ballistic chutes of course, so comfort is increased.

Kirk
66
Old February 12th 18, 01:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Well, screw the helmet idea!Â* Who needs the weight?Â* If you're gonna go
that far, why not a set of light weight glasses with a bluetooth
receiver built in and all of your flight and collision avoidance
information focused at infinity through the glasses kinda like a HUD.Â*
Cockpit sensors would track the glasses and adjust the picture to the
viewing angle.

Old February 12th 18, 02:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WB

Can’t believe no one has suggested a robotic trailer that rigs/derigs for you.
Old February 12th 18, 04:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Sunday, February 11, 2018 at 5:16:28 PM UTC-8, WB wrote:
Can’t believe no one has suggested a robotic trailer that rigs/derigs for you.

I love it. Tesla has an automatic cable that pugs into car, just don't bend over near it!
Old February 12th 18, 11:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Iscold, before designing Nixus, installed an autoflap system in my ASH30. It works very well, according to lift coeficient.
There is a video clip at Facebook Nixus page

Sergio

I have a dream. A GPS/SBAS/QZSS dream ! In honour of MLK day. macpacheco Instrument Flight Rules 2 January 19th 11 01:39 AM
A Dream franck jeamourra Piloting 0 March 27th 04 08:43 PM
A dream franck jeamourra Simulators 0 March 25th 04 01:26 PM
a dream franck jeamourra Military Aviation 0 March 25th 04 07:27 AM
a dream franck jeamourra Owning 0 March 25th 04 07:26 AM