NEWS: New Jet to Seek Turbulence

Old March 3rd 06, 02:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default NEWS: New Jet to Seek Turbulence

I thought the mountian pilots might find story this interesting.

New Jet to Seek Turbulence

Most pilots try to avoid whirlwinds, but a team of
scientists is planning to use one of the nation's
newest and most advanced research aircrafts to hunt
them down.

The modified Gulfstream V jet, called HIAPER, will
study turbulent airstreams and whirlwinds known as
"rotors" that form along California’s Sierra Nevada
Mountain range.

Full story at:
http://www.livescience.com/forcesofn...whirlwind.html

Brian
Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?
Old March 3rd 06, 03:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default New Jet to Seek Turbulence

This is nice work if you can get it.
Had a good buddy some time back pushing a NASA F106 out of Wallops NAS
seeking out and researching lightning strikes; call sign "Sparky"
:-)
Dudley Henriques

Old March 3rd 06, 04:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I've seen some video of those flights, the canopy looked
like a CD in a microwave.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in
message
nk.net...
| This is nice work if you can get it.
| Had a good buddy some time back pushing a NASA F106 out of
Wallops NAS
| seeking out and researching lightning strikes; call sign
"Sparky"
| :-)
| Dudley Henriques
|
| "Skywise" wrote in message
| I thought the mountian pilots might find story this
interesting.

| New Jet to Seek Turbulence
|
| Most pilots try to avoid whirlwinds, but a team of
| scientists is planning to use one of the nation's
| newest and most advanced research aircrafts to hunt
| them down.
|
| The modified Gulfstream V jet, called HIAPER, will
| study turbulent airstreams and whirlwinds known as
| "rotors" that form along California's Sierra Nevada
| Mountain range.
|
| Full story at:

http://www.livescience.com/forcesofn...whirlwind.html

| Brian
| --
| http://www.skywise711.com - Lasers, Seismology,
Astronomy, Skepticism
http://www.skywise711.com/SeismicFAQ/SeismicFAQ.html
http://www.skywise711.com/quakes/EQDB/index.html

Old March 3rd 06, 04:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Yeah. That was a pretty scary program. When the weather was just right, they
were running two high mach flights a day into some of the worst conditions
you could imagine. Sometimes he'd fry the wicks clean off the bird.
Sometimes in the heavy stuff, he'd get St. Elmo's in an exact trace of the
panel shield and all over his suit. The canopy took it on a few occasions.
Some guys have ALL the fun!!!
:-))
Dudley

Old March 3rd 06, 05:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

They had some weather modification pilots in western Kansas,
their airplanes had lots of big dents from hail. The Kansas
record hailstone was about 7 pounds.

I saw a King Air 200 that flew into some hail. Windshields,
radome, all leading edges and even the exhaust stacks had to
be replaced. But it landed safely. Saw some dents in the
exhaust stacks that were as big as baseballs.

There was a rumor that the pilot was asleep on a night
freight run when he flew into a boomer.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in
message
ink.net...
| Yeah. That was a pretty scary program. When the weather
was just right, they
| were running two high mach flights a day into some of the
worst conditions
| you could imagine. Sometimes he'd fry the wicks clean off
the bird.
| Sometimes in the heavy stuff, he'd get St. Elmo's in an
exact trace of the
| panel shield and all over his suit. The canopy took it on
a few occasions.
| Some guys have ALL the fun!!!
| :-))
| Dudley
|
| "Jim Macklin" wrote
in message
| I've seen some video of those flights, the canopy looked
| like a CD in a microwave.
|

| --
| James H. Macklin
| ATP,CFI,A&P
|
| --
| The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
| But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
| some support
| http://www.usdoj.gov/olc/secondamendment2.htm
| See http://www.fija.org/ more about your rights and
duties.

| "Dudley Henriques" wrote in
| message

nk.net...
| | This is nice work if you can get it.
| | Had a good buddy some time back pushing a NASA F106
out of
| Wallops NAS
| | seeking out and researching lightning strikes; call
sign
| "Sparky"
| | :-)
| | Dudley Henriques
| |
| | "Skywise" wrote in message
| | I thought the mountian pilots might find story this
| interesting.
| |
| | New Jet to Seek Turbulence
| |
| | Most pilots try to avoid whirlwinds, but a team of
| | scientists is planning to use one of the nation's
| | newest and most advanced research aircrafts to hunt
| | them down.
| |
| | The modified Gulfstream V jet, called HIAPER, will
| | study turbulent airstreams and whirlwinds known as
| | "rotors" that form along California's Sierra Nevada
| | Mountain range.
| |
| | Full story at:
| |

Old March 3rd 06, 05:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Knew a guy once who spent a fortune on a custom Imron paint job for his F8F
Bearcat. On the way home from picking up the bird at the shop he made a high
speed letdown through some pretty good rain. Damn near stripped the paint
right off the whole airplane. God was he mad!! I had to literally hold my
breath to keep from laughing. I swear he would have belted me one.
Brain fart I guess. We all have them once in a while. This one was REAL
expensive!!!
:-)

They had some weather modification pilots in western Kansas,
their airplanes had lots of big dents from hail. The Kansas
record hailstone was about 7 pounds.

I saw a King Air 200 that flew into some hail. Windshields,
radome, all leading edges and even the exhaust stacks had to
be replaced. But it landed safely. Saw some dents in the
exhaust stacks that were as big as baseballs.

There was a rumor that the pilot was asleep on a night
freight run when he flew into a boomer.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in
message
ink.net...
| Yeah. That was a pretty scary program. When the weather
was just right, they
| were running two high mach flights a day into some of the
worst conditions
| you could imagine. Sometimes he'd fry the wicks clean off
the bird.
| Sometimes in the heavy stuff, he'd get St. Elmo's in an
exact trace of the
| panel shield and all over his suit. The canopy took it on
a few occasions.
| Some guys have ALL the fun!!!
| :-))
| Dudley
|
| "Jim Macklin" wrote
in message
| I've seen some video of those flights, the canopy looked
| like a CD in a microwave.
|

| --
| James H. Macklin
| ATP,CFI,A&P
|
| --
| The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
| But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
| some support
| http://www.usdoj.gov/olc/secondamendment2.htm
| See http://www.fija.org/ more about your rights and
duties.

| "Dudley Henriques" wrote in
| message

nk.net...
| | This is nice work if you can get it.
| | Had a good buddy some time back pushing a NASA F106
out of
| Wallops NAS
| | seeking out and researching lightning strikes; call
sign
| "Sparky"
| | :-)
| | Dudley Henriques
| |
| | "Skywise" wrote in message
| | I thought the mountian pilots might find story this
| interesting.
| |
| | New Jet to Seek Turbulence
| |
| | Most pilots try to avoid whirlwinds, but a team of
| | scientists is planning to use one of the nation's
| | newest and most advanced research aircrafts to hunt
| | them down.
| |
| | The modified Gulfstream V jet, called HIAPER, will
| | study turbulent airstreams and whirlwinds known as
| | "rotors" that form along California's Sierra Nevada
| | Mountain range.
| |
| | Full story at:
| |

Old March 3rd 06, 08:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I think it takes Imron about 30 days to fully cure. Soft
paint can be stripped real easy.

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in
message
ink.net...
| Knew a guy once who spent a fortune on a custom Imron
paint job for his F8F
| Bearcat. On the way home from picking up the bird at the
shop he made a high
| speed letdown through some pretty good rain. Damn near
stripped the paint
| right off the whole airplane. God was he mad!! I had to
literally hold my
| breath to keep from laughing. I swear he would have belted
me one.
| Brain fart I guess. We all have them once in a while. This
one was REAL
| expensive!!!
| :-)
|
| "Jim Macklin" wrote
in message
| They had some weather modification pilots in western
Kansas,
| their airplanes had lots of big dents from hail. The
Kansas
| record hailstone was about 7 pounds.
|
| I saw a King Air 200 that flew into some hail.
Windshields,
| radome, all leading edges and even the exhaust stacks
had to
| be replaced. But it landed safely. Saw some dents in
the
| exhaust stacks that were as big as baseballs.
|
| There was a rumor that the pilot was asleep on a night
| freight run when he flew into a boomer.
|

| --
| James H. Macklin
| ATP,CFI,A&P
|

| "Dudley Henriques" wrote in
| message

ink.net...
| | Yeah. That was a pretty scary program. When the
weather
| was just right, they
| | were running two high mach flights a day into some of
the
| worst conditions
| | you could imagine. Sometimes he'd fry the wicks clean
off
| the bird.
| | Sometimes in the heavy stuff, he'd get St. Elmo's in
an
| exact trace of the
| | panel shield and all over his suit. The canopy took it
on
| a few occasions.
| | Some guys have ALL the fun!!!
| | :-))
| | Dudley
| |
| | "Jim Macklin"
wrote
| in message
| | I've seen some video of those flights, the canopy
looked
| | like a CD in a microwave.
| |
| |
| | --
| | James H. Macklin
| | ATP,CFI,A&P
| |
| | --
| | The people think the Constitution protects their
rights;
| | But government sees it as an obstacle to be
overcome.
| | some support
| | http://www.usdoj.gov/olc/secondamendment2.htm
| | See http://www.fija.org/ more about your rights and
| duties.
| |
| |
| | "Dudley Henriques" wrote
in
| | message
| |

nk.net...
| | | This is nice work if you can get it.
| | | Had a good buddy some time back pushing a NASA
F106
| out of
| | Wallops NAS
| | | seeking out and researching lightning strikes;
call
| sign
| | "Sparky"
| | | :-)
| | | Dudley Henriques
| | |
| | | "Skywise" wrote in
message
| | | I thought the mountian pilots might find story
this
| | interesting.
| | |
| | | New Jet to Seek Turbulence
| | |
| | | Most pilots try to avoid whirlwinds, but a team
of
| | | scientists is planning to use one of the
nation's
| | | newest and most advanced research aircrafts to
hunt
| | | them down.
| | |
| | | The modified Gulfstream V jet, called HIAPER,
will
| | | study turbulent airstreams and whirlwinds known
as
| | | "rotors" that form along California's Sierra
Nevada
| | | Mountain range.
| | |
| | | Full story at:
| | |
| |

Old March 3rd 06, 12:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Dudley Henriques wrote:
This is nice work if you can get it.
Had a good buddy some time back pushing a NASA F106 out of Wallops NAS
seeking out and researching lightning strikes; call sign "Sparky"

I remember seeing an ad in Trade A Plane seeking pilots for an armored T-28 to
be used in thunderstorm research. They paid a big bonus if you lasted the full
season. That didn't sound real promising to me. G

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Old March 3rd 06, 12:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jim Macklin wrote:
I think it takes Imron about 30 days to fully cure. Soft
paint can be stripped real easy.

That answered my next question.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Old March 3rd 06, 03:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote in message
Dudley Henriques wrote:
This is nice work if you can get it.
Had a good buddy some time back pushing a NASA F106 out of Wallops NAS
seeking out and researching lightning strikes; call sign "Sparky"

I remember seeing an ad in Trade A Plane seeking pilots for an armored
T-28 to be used in thunderstorm research. They paid a big bonus if you
lasted the full season. That didn't sound real promising to me. G

Well, you have to admit, some jobs you do get a charge out of :-)

Dudley