Green Flash

Old November 20th 06, 03:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
Yeff

Default Green Flash

http://www.sundog.clara.co.uk/atoptics/gfim12.htm
http://spaceweather.com/swpod2006/31jan06/zinkova.jpg

So, anyone ever seen it from the air or a boat?

--

-Jeff B.
zoomie at fastmail fm
Old November 20th 06, 04:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
SeppoP

Yeff wrote:
http://www.sundog.clara.co.uk/atoptics/gfim12.htm
http://spaceweather.com/swpod2006/31jan06/zinkova.jpg

So, anyone ever seen it from the air or a boat?

I have. Not from the air, neither from a boat, but from shore.
Just once (or *maybe* twice in 40 years).

It is real enough.

--
Seppo P.
What's wrong with Theocracy? (a Finnish Taliban, Oct 1, 2005)

Old November 20th 06, 05:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Louie B

Many times , First Navy ship in 63 . Last MSC Ship in 93 .

Old November 20th 06, 05:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
SeppoP

Louie B wrote:
Many times , First Navy ship in 63 . Last MSC Ship in 93 .

Nice for a romantic event, isn't it ? (personal experience based on a single encounter)...

Old November 20th 06, 07:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
Bob McKellar

"Yeff" wrote in message
http://www.sundog.clara.co.uk/atoptics/gfim12.htm
http://spaceweather.com/swpod2006/31jan06/zinkova.jpg

So, anyone ever seen it from the air or a boat?

--

-Jeff B.
zoomie at fastmail fm

At sea, it's a routine event if the weather's good enough to see the
horizon.

Bob McKellar

Old November 20th 06, 07:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
Howard Austin

In article , Yeff

http://www.sundog.clara.co.uk/atoptics/gfim12.htm
http://spaceweather.com/swpod2006/31jan06/zinkova.jpg

So, anyone ever seen it from the air or a boat?

--

-Jeff B.
zoomie at fastmail fm

Used to see it regularly on the day's last flight from St. Croix to
St. Thomas.

Howard Austin

Howard Austin
none
Old November 20th 06, 08:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
Phil Rhodes

I've seen it in tropical latitudes, only, and never from our beaches here in
Washington State. Now to be honest, it's a bit chilly to hang around one of
our beaches, and if you did, there is no guarantee of a proper sunset, so...
maybe it's there.

Old November 20th 06, 08:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
Harry Andreas

In article , Yeff

http://www.sundog.clara.co.uk/atoptics/gfim12.htm
http://spaceweather.com/swpod2006/31jan06/zinkova.jpg

So, anyone ever seen it from the air or a boat?

From the beach...once in the 28 years I've lived near the beach
in SoCal.

--
Harry Andreas
Engineering raconteur
Old November 20th 06, 08:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

Yeff wrote:
So, anyone ever seen it from the air or a boat?

I never have though I've been aware of it for many years. When I was kid I
remember reading one of Adm. Daniel Gallery's books where he mentioned the
phenomenon and talked about somebody prolonging it by flying towards the sunset
at exactly the correct speed.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Old November 20th 06, 08:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
Dave[_6_]

Yeff wrote in news:16l7ldud49dqv
:

http://www.sundog.clara.co.uk/atoptics/gfim12.htm
http://spaceweather.com/swpod2006/31jan06/zinkova.jpg

So, anyone ever seen it from the air or a boat?

Many times, most often on the Midway, '80 - '83. I have seen it from the air
once, and maybe 10 or 15 times (or more?) from the Silver Strand in Coronado.
The conditions do have to be right for it to be seen.

Dave in San Diego

Powerful Military Green Laser Pointer [email protected] Naval Aviation 1 October 13th 08 04:34 PM
Verdant green... Jay Honeck Piloting 17 July 9th 06 06:58 AM
Flash flood Alamogordo, NM # 711 reporting [email protected] Soaring 0 June 24th 06 07:53 PM
Military Green Laser Pointer [email protected] Naval Aviation 0 July 5th 05 06:42 PM
Simple Green Pirep JJS Owning 13 May 19th 05 03:35 AM