Shooting an approach

Old November 29th 05, 02:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Shooting an approach

Hello !
I am currently reading a book about IFR flying.
"The complete advanced pilot" by Bob Gardner.
In the book, i came across the term
"to shoot an aproach"

What does that mean ?
Can anybody please explain ?

keep the greasy side down,

Henning Dammann-Emden
Bremen/Germany

Old November 29th 05, 02:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

I am currently reading a book about IFR flying.
"The complete advanced pilot" by Bob Gardner.
In the book, i came across the term
"to shoot an aproach"

What does that mean ?
Can anybody please explain ?

Sometimes pilots approaching an airport using a standard instrument
procedure botch the approach, and when they get on the ground, will
blame the procedure author by shooting off his mouth. If the approach
is withdrawn because of this, it's called "Shooting the approach".

Seriously, it's just slang for making an approach to an airport, under
actual or simulated instrument conditions, using only the cockpit
instruments for navigation and control. The method of approaching an
airport under these conditions is carefully planned in advance and
published (these are called "Standard instrument approach procedures"),
and following the procedure will ensure a successful approach to the runway.

Jose
--
You can choose whom to befriend, but you cannot choose whom to love.
Old November 29th 05, 02:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Henning DE wrote:
Hello !
I am currently reading a book about IFR flying.
"The complete advanced pilot" by Bob Gardner.
In the book, i came across the term
"to shoot an aproach"

What does that mean ?
Can anybody please explain ?

Hi Henning,

Yes, an approach is an IFR procedure for descending to within a few hundred feet
of the runway, so that a landing can be made visually.

To "shoot" an approach is to perform the approach procedure.

Dave
Old November 29th 05, 03:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

It is just a phrase. It means fly an approach. I always
think that if you shoot and approach you should also clean
and eat it.

It is like shooting the rapids, which just means taking a
canoe, kayak or boat down a turbulent river.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

Old November 29th 05, 03:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Jim Macklin wrote:
It is just a phrase. It means fly an approach. I always
think that if you shoot and approach you should also clean
and eat it.

It is like shooting the rapids, which just means taking a
canoe, kayak or boat down a turbulent river.

How about shooting a game of pool?
Old November 29th 05, 03:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"Henning DE" wrote in message
| Hello !
| I am currently reading a book about IFR flying.
| "The complete advanced pilot" by Bob Gardner.
| In the book, i came across the term
| "to shoot an aproach"
|
| What does that mean ?
| Can anybody please explain ?

Possible origin is the Instrument Landing System.
When flown correctly the vertical and horizontal guidance indicators are
centered in the face of the display. These crossed indicators have the
appearance of the crosshairs of a telescopic sight.
Hence, you shoot the approach. Keeping the crosshairs centered generally
assures that you will hit what you are aiming for... the runway.

Old November 29th 05, 07:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

How about sitting around on a Sunday BBQ and shooting the **** with
some good friends?

Old November 29th 05, 08:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

three-eight-hotel wrote:

How about sitting around on a Sunday BBQ and shooting the **** with
some good friends?

It's very similar to shooting groundhogs.

-m
--
## Mark T. Dame
## VP, Product Development