Anyone try paragliding?

Old May 21st 05, 09:44 PM
Michael 182

Default Anyone try paragliding?

I'm taking lessons next week. Anyone here try it? Is being a pilot any
advantage at all?

Michael

Old May 21st 05, 10:09 PM
Steven Barnes

It'll get you chicks. Go buy the most expensive watch & jacket you can find.
The girls will come running.

By the way, I've got a watch to sell you....

Old May 21st 05, 10:49 PM
William W. Plummer

Michael 182 wrote:

I'm taking lessons next week. Anyone here try it? Is being a pilot any
advantage at all?

Years ago my CFI told me "If it's not regulated by Pt 91, don't fly it."
Old May 22nd 05, 12:01 AM
Michael 182

"Steven Barnes" wrote in message
m...
It'll get you chicks.

Damn, I should have done it 27 years ago, before I got married.

Michael

Old May 22nd 05, 02:33 AM
Flyingmonk

LOL

Old May 22nd 05, 02:42 AM
W P Dixon

Well,
Being a pilot will help due to the fact you have been in the air
before And one good thing, if the engine stops your parachute is already
open, bad thing...if the parachute fails you will be the world's biggest
lawn dart HAHAHA But heck I'd go for it!!!

Patrick
student SPL
aircraft structural mech

Old May 22nd 05, 04:35 AM
tuttie

Michael 182 wrote:
I'm taking lessons next week. Anyone here try it? Is being a pilot

any
advantage at all?

Michael

I used to teach paragliding and have some not-so-positive opinions on
the subject...

1. You are under a wing that can and does collapse. In fact, in any
sort of thermally conditions you *will* experience a partial to full
deflation.

2. Check out the flying envelope---stall at around 25, fastest cruise
at around 35. Flying range is only about 10 or 15.

The forward motion keeps the wing inflated. Two problems with this: A
reversal of air (due to a gust, for example) causes the wing to
deflate. And Two, the necessity for a greater forward speed, say to get
down out of excessive lift, is almost non-existant. This has caused
paraglider pilots to use marginal techniques to penetrate excessive
forward winds.(intentional partial deflations, for example).

3. Paragliders are not designed to take terminal velocities like
parachutes. If you collapse and then fall a distance, the lines could
rip right out of the canopy (or snap themselves).

4. Pargliders that are used for training are often not well maintained.
Fabric is worn from UV light exposure and leaks air. This causes the
paraglider to loose lift and stall at a higher than normal speed. Lines
stretch over time and cause the aerodynamics of the canopy to change.

Ok...that's the bad news. On the plus side is:

If you fly in laminar air--say at the beach--where there is no thermal
activity and the winds are fairly predictable, and you fly with newer
equipment under a competent instructor you have a great chance of
having some great fun.

Sorry about the warnings but I watched a few people die on these things
and just thought you'd like to go into it with your eyes open.

Have you considered Hang-gliding? It's much safer!

Antonio

Old May 22nd 05, 04:48 AM
Morgans

"tuttie" wrote

Have you considered Hang-gliding? It's much safer!

Really? I am surprised. Cites?
--
Jim in NC
Old May 22nd 05, 05:04 AM
Michael 182

"tuttie" wrote in message
oups.com...

I used to teach paragliding and have some not-so-positive opinions on
the subject...

snip

Antonio

Very good info. I may reconsider... Thanks,

Michael

Old May 22nd 05, 08:38 AM
tuttie

I cannot cite specific statisitical data, if that's what you mean. I
can only respond anecdotally that hang gliders have a much greater
flying envelope--stall at about 25 and have forward speeds up to 70.
They have a rigid frame and therefore are not dependent on forward
motion to retain a wing shape. They also fly a whole heck of a lot
better as far as glide ratios and handling go. You are also surrounded
by a metal frame which affords a little protection in case of impact.
They have been around a lot longer so the training regimen is well
established. It also takes more training to fly them ... which, I'm
guessing, translates to better piloting.

Paragliding is sort of like a carnival ride---slow and pleasant while
you sit upright like you are in a swing. Hang gliding is much more
exciting because of the speeds, greater glide ratios, and the prone
position. In the prone position you don't really see the glider above
you because you are suspended beneath it. It gives you the feeling
like you are a bird or Superman as you lean this way or that way and
get an immediate response to your inputs. It is really great to soar
with the seagulls along the beach, feel the temperature changes in a
thermal, or smell the fir trees as you swoop over top them. Fun
flying!!

Antonio

Cheap sailplanes tango4 Soaring 100 December 21st 04 08:21 PM
new pictures in Paragliding Gallery jaro Soaring 0 July 8th 04 11:30 PM
www with paragliding adds Mariusz Klos Aviation Marketplace 0 April 22nd 04 11:53 AM
New Paragliding Gallery jaro Soaring 0 December 28th 03 08:51 PM
Red Bull Vertigo 2003 Red Bull Vertigo Aerobatics 2 August 11th 03 08:02 PM