California to Argentina

Old November 30th 03, 11:34 PM
Paul Millner

Default California to Argentina

Howdy,

A couple of us are planning on flying my turbo Cardinal RG from California
to Argentina next October... my buddy was born there (Argentinian British)
and is returning for a family reunion.

I've flown about 3,500 hours, in the US, Canada, and Mexico, but never
further south. There's quite a bit in print about flying in Mexico and
Central America, but not much I've found on South America. AOPA's not been
particularly helpful with details.

Can anyone point me at source material on flying south of Panama, or share
their experiences on GA in South America?

We've thinking a west coast jaunt on the way down, with a return, perhaps,
across Brazil and island hopping through the Caribbean.

Paul, Berkeley CA

Old November 30th 03, 11:47 PM
Don Tuite

It won't help you plan your flight, but you might enjoy St Exupery's
_Night Flight_. IIRC, _Wind Sand and Stars_ covers some of St Ex's
Patagonian experiences as well.

Don

Old December 1st 03, 12:10 AM
Eduardo Kaftanski

In article ,
Paul Millner wrote:

We've thinking a west coast jaunt on the way down, with a return, perhaps,
across Brazil and island hopping through the Caribbean.

can't help you north of Chile, but save my email in case you ever
get down to chile and I can show you around...

--
Eduardo Kaftanski |
http://e.nn.cl | Linus Torvalds
Old December 1st 03, 02:09 AM
Larry Dighera

wrote in Message-Id:
:

Can anyone point me at source material on flying south of Panama, or share
their experiences on GA in South America?

You might contact the folks at Ximango. They regularly ferry their
motorglider products from their factory in Brazil to the US.
http://www.ximango.com/ingles/
Old December 1st 03, 03:33 AM
Gerald Sylvester

Just for a taster as well as a good book, try the book
by Barbara Rowell released about a year ago. She flew
a 206 or 210 down and back. Sadly she and her husband
(very well known photographer, Galen) died on approach
into Bishop California in August or September 2002.
Excellent book about the travel that gets into the flying
but not overly so.

Gerald

Old December 3rd 03, 10:48 PM
JerryK

The Baja Bush Pilot's fly down to Central America each year. I am not sure
if they go much further south, but you can check their website,
www.bajabushpilots.com.

jerry