"Enhanced Security" at various airports....

Old August 13th 03, 09:19 PM
Kyler Laird

Judah writes:

What I'd like to know is what happens to the people who get the armed escorts
out of the security line!

http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig3/monahan1.html

I love the one about the cell phones. A cell phone in your luggage is less
likely to trigger a bomb than a cell phone in your carry-on? Doh!

You missed the funny part. They're banning mobile phones because they could
be used to trigger explosives. Uh...aren't *explosives* banned?!

I hope to go at least another decade before subjecting myself to airline
travel.

--kyler
Old August 13th 03, 10:48 PM
Ted Huffmire

You mean I have to tell them about
the heart transplant? =)

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote:

No, they insist that pilots don't NEED them. If they catch you lying, you
will never be PIC again.

Old August 13th 03, 11:20 PM
Gary L. Drescher

"Greg Burkhart" wrote in message
I have found the few times that I have flown on the airlines recently that
security is inconsistant.

To put it mildly. Yesterday, three people accidentally beached a fishing
raft at JFK and then walked for a mile along a runway without being noticed!
(The airport is "concerned" about the security lapse.)

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/Northeast...ers/index.html

Old August 14th 03, 01:58 AM
Tom S.

"Newps" wrote in message
et...

Gary L. Drescher wrote:

"Greg Burkhart" wrote in message

I have found the few times that I have flown on the airlines recently

that
security is inconsistant.

To put it mildly. Yesterday, three people accidentally beached a

fishing
raft at JFK and then walked for a mile along a runway without being

noticed!

It was nighttime. Just how were they going to be noticed?

Runway light?

Old August 14th 03, 02:05 AM
Peter Gottlieb

It's a lot like the "tough on crime" insanity which took away judge's
discretion and caused a host of problems. Everyone wants to out-do each
other on how Tough On Terrorism they *appear* to be. This is unfortunately
another one of those uncontrollable government spirals which will waste our
money and cripple our economy and there is very little we can do about it.
It's almost better to just let it run its course and get so horrifically bad
faster, so it affects more of the public sooner, and some brave leader
stands up and asks why we are hurting ourselves like this.

"Aloft" wrote in message
We're approaching an election year; time to make this an issue for the
politicians. If they get enough voters asking them where they stand on
restoring passenger rights and dignity, it WILL become important to them.

Old August 14th 03, 02:05 AM
Peter Gottlieb

I heard that the tower noticed them and called the police dispatcher several
times and no officers were dispatched, so a lot of questions about security
supervision are being asked.

"Newps" wrote in message
et...

Old August 16th 03, 03:48 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Ted Huffmire wrote:

You mean I have to tell them about
the heart transplant? =)

I think that's one of the deadly questions, yes.

George Patterson
Brute force has an elegance all its own.
Old August 16th 03, 03:52 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Peter Gottlieb wrote:

It's almost better to just let it run its course and get so horrifically bad
faster, so it affects more of the public sooner, and some brave leader
stands up and asks why we are hurting ourselves like this.

That strategy didn't work very well for the "war on drugs" insanity.

Old August 16th 03, 06:20 PM
Dr. Anthony J. Lomenzo

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote:

Peter Gottlieb wrote:

It's almost better to just let it run its course and get so horrifically bad
faster, so it affects more of the public sooner, and some brave leader
stands up and asks why we are hurting ourselves like this.

That strategy didn't work very well for the "war on drugs" insanity.

George Patterson
Brute force has an elegance all its own.

I think they've given up on the drug war thing as a losing battle as
appears to be chronic alcoholism and so the new culprit i which to go to
war is .... tobacco products. Now before any nasties drift in from
smokers [ciggs, pipes [*albeit 'sans' the rubber band and tin foil with
the pin holes on the bowl thing...;-)...] or cigars] , I'm still a
smoker as carried over from my former military days many moons ago [no
lectures please!] but our governor is going literally ballistic about
the thing.

An ex-smoker himself [the worst kind! Their standard motto: "I did it so
you MUST do it!"...] and notwithstanding his ongoing jihad of sorts with
the Native American sovereign nation and internet tobacco product
vendors [the gov wants his cut!], he pulled a sort of analogous Mayor
Daley II King of the Universe move and issued an Executive Order
forbidding national motor carriers [UPS, FedEx, DHL, etc.] from
delivering tobacco products within the state of NY at the risk of a
$5,000 fine per occurrence although his authority does NOT extend to the
federal post office.

So too, a law was passed just weeks ago that forbids smoking in any NY
bar --or-- restaurant whether they have separate smoker rooms or
facilities or not! Whew! Suddenly, the smoker [including pipes and
cigars] folks are akin to social pariahs, crack-heads and heroin addicts
on a par with Charlie Manson and Osama bin Laden! I've never seen
anything like it YET the gov' is literally gagging on his "Well, I'm
greatly concerned about 13 year old Johnny and Janey ordering and using
tobacco products" while he concurrently desires big time that tobacco
tax and surcharge [upon surcharge upon surcharge] revenue! Who is
kidding who...or is that 'whom'....

Doc Tony
Old August 16th 03, 10:44 PM
Peter Gottlieb

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message

Peter Gottlieb wrote:

It's almost better to just let it run its course and get so horrifically

bad
faster, so it affects more of the public sooner, and some brave leader
stands up and asks why we are hurting ourselves like this.

That strategy didn't work very well for the "war on drugs" insanity.

So what's to be done? Have we become a nation of sheep to be herded my
manipulative "leaders?"