Underwater egress

Old November 30th 03, 04:42 PM
Duane MacInnis

Default Underwater egress

I just did the "Dunk-U" course yesterday.
www.dunk-you.com

This was the most interesting thing I have done in a long time. Gives a
whole new perspective to flying over water. Required by my pals at
www.angelflight.ca

Rule #1 -- Wear your life jacket.
http://www.mustangsurvival.com/catal...D=65&ColorID=4

I may make a longer post in a few days.

Now I have to make a couple of props for holding the canopy open on the
Cheetah, so it doesn't jam closed on impact.

Duane
++++++++++++++
Duane MacInnis PE
Flight Instructor
Cell (604) 454-7415
www.macinnisaviation.com

Grumman Cheetah C-GVJF

Old November 30th 03, 05:49 PM
Cecil E. Chapman

Look forward to seeing your post on your experience on the course. Gotta
admit, part of me finds the thought of such an exercise as intriguing in
terms of its' usefulness and the other part of me is looking at some of the
equipment and thinking that it looks a lot like something we might have
designed as kids grin. I'll be eagerly awaiting your post!
Good Flights!

Cecil E. Chapman, Jr.
PP-ASEL

"We who fly do so for the love of flying.
We are alive in the air with this miracle
that lies in our hands and beneath our feet"

- Cecil Day Lewis-

Check out my personal flying adventures: www.bayareapilot.com

Old November 30th 03, 07:19 PM
Dale

In article G5pyb.218816$jy.24030@clgrps13,
"Duane MacInnis" wrote:

I just did the "Dunk-U" course yesterday.
www.dunk-you.com

This was the most interesting thing I have done in a long time. Gives a
whole new perspective to flying over water. Required by my pals at
www.angelflight.ca

The wife and I did a similar course a few years ago. Certainly an
eye-opener. The blindfolded egress and swim thru the obstacle course
seperated the survivors from the victims.

--
Dale L. Falk

There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing
as simply messing around with airplanes.

http://home.gci.net/~sncdfalk/flying.html
Old November 30th 03, 08:16 PM
Ditch

The blindfolded egress and swim thru the obstacle course
seperated the survivors from the victims.

Yikes...sounds fun. Which one are you?

-John
*You are nothing until you have flown a Douglas, Lockheed, Grumman or North
American*
Old December 1st 03, 01:19 AM
Rick Durden

Duane,

You may not have time to prop the canopy open in the Grumman (there
are way too many situations in which you won't have time to deal with
the canopy before you wind up upside down on land or in the water), so
make sure you have one of those hammers such as the ones that are
standard in the Cirrus and Lancair for breaking out the canopy windows
should you invert the thing.

Having gone through the immersion course, have you checked out the
website www.equipped.org for discussions of ditching?

All the best,
Rick

Old December 1st 03, 04:16 AM
Duane MacInnis

Don't have the hammer yet. Where can I get one? Does it have a beak like a
chicken trying to get out of the egg?

Old December 1st 03, 01:06 PM
Koopas Ly

I just did the "Dunk-U" course yesterday.
www.dunk-you.com

This was the most interesting thing I have done in a long time. Gives a
whole new perspective to flying over water. Required by my pals at
www.angelflight.ca

Do they teach you about water survival too?

Should be required for all pilots in Hawaii. You can't fly a xcountry
that's 50 nm here without crossing large bodies of [sometimes
shark-infested] water.

Alex, PE in training.
Old December 3rd 03, 05:22 AM
Paul Sengupta

My plane came with one of those hammers. Would you really be
able to break a canopy with one? I have my doubts.

Paul
Scottish Aviation Bulldog

Old December 3rd 03, 10:51 PM
JerryK

We do the same type of training every year in USCG Aux. A lot of fun and
could save your bacon one day.