Edwards air show B-1 speed record attempt

Old October 25th 03, 02:53 PM
Alan Minyard

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 23:57:02 GMT, Gene Nygaard wrote:

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 09:12:12 -0700, "Tarver Engineering"
wrote:

"Gene Nygaard" wrote in message
. ..
On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 08:15:17 -0700, "Tarver Engineering"
wrote:

"Gene Nygaard" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 12:46:36 -0700, "Tarver Engineering"
wrote:

snip
Why not "pounds", like an aircraft?

Because there are too many engineers too stupid to understand the
simple fact that those pounds are, by definition, units of mass
exactly equal to 0.45359237 kg.

I find it unlikely that there are many engineers that can not operate a
calculator.

Show me a calculator that will figure out *which* pounds are being
used, so that they get converted correctly.

Aircraft already have units of measure. Why use different units? Why is
anyone working in NASA Operations that does not know aircraft units?

What you write is a non-sequitur.

You also underestimate the effects of systematic miseducation. The
mere existence of a conversion factor from pounds to kilograms on a
calculator isn't going to undo the fact that some favorite teacher has
drummed into someone's head the notion that pounds are always units of
force and not units of mass, so you can't really convert between
pounds and kilograms. In fact, in today's screwed up world, there are
a number of textbooks which tell you just exactly that.

Why change from the units of aerospace to some other arbitrary set of units
in the first palce?

Because it is the interdisciplinary and International System of Units.
There is no reason to have to learn different units of measure for
each activity we engage in.

Such changes have taken place in the past, of course. But when the
air speed indicators of many aircraft were changed in the second half
of the twentieth century, they weren' t changed to metric. Instead,
they were just changed from one Fred Flintstone unit to another.

That's about as silly as if the United States were to change now from
inches of mercury to millimeters of mercury for altimeter settings.

In my 20 20 hindsight I can say for a fact that
attempting to apply si units to aerospace has come at the cost of confusion
and we are very fortunate to have avoided toumbstones.

In fact, the calculator is the end of any need to change to si
units, as si is a slide rule reality.

Any time you make a conversion, at least other than by factors that
are exact powers of 10, you lose something.

Perhaps, but not enough to matter from an engineering, of operational
standpoint.

Certainly enough to matter.

Often the "something" which you lose is the sense of how precise a
measurement is.

Any time there is a need to make conversions, it is an opportunity for
all sorts of other errors, including misentry of the numbers into the
calculator, transposition of digits in copying the result, or
whatever.

In that case, why stray from what already works and play silly SI games?

Because there is only one way to get rid of the need to do
conversions:

You are right, when do you intend to start the conversion to the inch??

Al Minyard
Old October 25th 03, 04:03 PM
John R Weiss

"Tarver Engineering" wrote...

And you start with pounds as the basis and convert to have the fuel

vended, no matter what units of volume are used. Then the weight of the
airplane is checked to see if the fuel got onboard.

So, the FE begins with a takeoff weight, calculates the fuel to be ordered

and leaves the weight on the dash for the pilot to cross check.

Nope! It is apparent you don't know at all what you are talking about.

In "a high reliability sysetm" such as that in a 777 or 747-400, the fuel

vendor is simply told the "final fuel" figure in kilograms

My goodness Weiss, you mean what I wrote in the first place is completely
correct.

No, your fantasy "explanation" of what you think might happen isn't anywhere
near "completely correct."

First, many airlines don't use pounds as the basis for fuel or aircraft weight
at all.

Second, there is no conversion done "to have the fuel vended." The weight of
the fuel is entirely transparent to the vendor. Even the volume of fuel vended
is unknown until AFTER the fueling is complete -- there is no predicted/expected
number.

Third, the "weight of the airplane" is not checked in the fueling process. The
fuel indicating system in the airplane, which displays the weight of the fuel in
the airplane, is crosschecked with the volume shown as delivered by the vendor.

Fourth, there is no FE in the loop in most modern commercial aircraft.

Fifth, the Captain determines the final fuel figure, not the FE or FO. That
fuel figure is not normally predicated on the takeoff weight of the airplane,
but on the desired landing fuel weight and expected fuel burn as calculated by
the Dispatcher. Only if a Maximum Takeoff Gross Weight is a limiting factor for
a specific flight might the fuel be adjusted to meet a specific takeoff weight
of the airplane.

Old October 25th 03, 05:03 PM
Michael Williamson

Pat Norton wrote:

Over a long period, the problem is being resolved. The trend is
towards metric, not away from it. North American aviation converted
from F to C in 1996. US military airports now give Terminal Area
Forecast visibility in metres. All without a fuss.

In some cases they might, but the last time I got ATIS here at
Davis Monthan AFB, visibility was in nautical miles, with no
mention of meters. The weather briefing sheet didn't include
metric visibility data either. Temperatures are typically given
in both centigrade and farenheit, but sometimes just one (or,
somwhat confusingly, the other, depending on where you are).

Mike

Old October 25th 03, 06:01 PM
Peter Kemp

On or about Sat, 25 Oct 2003 08:51:44 -0500, Alan Minyard
allegedly uttered:

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 20:51:10 +0200, Andreas Parsch wrote:

Alan Minyard wrote:

Actually, the unit of mass is the gram.

Of course the gram is a unit of mass, but it's not _the_ unit (depends
on the definition of "_the_" ;-) ). All I said is that the kilogram is
used in SI to derive units, and not the gram (as in 1 N = 1 kg m / s^2).

Andreas

I look at it as "a kilogram is 1,000 grams, therefore the underlying "unit"
of mass is the gram". Simply a matter of semantics, and I suppose
that the two definitions are interchangeable. :-)

True. However the standard SI unit is the kg (makes no sense to me
either, but that's life), and indeed there is a standard kg (of
palladium IIRC) somewhere in Paris that is the grandaddy of them all.

---
Peter Kemp

Life is short - Drink Faster
Old October 25th 03, 11:23 PM
Scott Ferrin

I almost don't want to go here, but... a 2 x 4 piece of lumber is really
only 1.75 x 3.75, and I've seen some that are only 1.5 x 3.5

LOL!
Old October 26th 03, 01:06 AM
John R Weiss

"Tarver Engineering" wrote...

Nygaard, if they had bought the fuel by weight, there could have been
confusion about liters.

Now there's a perfectly nonsensical statement!

OTOH, if you meant to say "...been _no_ confusion...", it makes a bit more
sense, but is still a non-sequitur. As you stated just yesterday:

When we engage in industry, we must use the language
of that industry, as well as the existing infrastructure.

Existing infrastructure for refueling of commercial airplanes dictates
volumetric measurement -- gallons or liters -- when dispensing fuel. Therefore,
a commercial flight crew is unable to "[buy] the fuel by weight.

Further, there is NO NEED to change the fuel dispensing infrastructure, because
the aircraft systems and airline procedures work just fine as they are.
Regardless of procedures used, there will ALWAYS be the exceptional case where
someone violates those procedures, with "bad" results.

Old October 26th 03, 01:09 AM
John R Weiss

"Tarver Engineering" wrote...

All fuel is bought as weight, that is how an aircraft works.

Speaking of nonsensical statements...

Bush's guard record JDKAHN Home Built 13 October 3rd 04 09:38 PM
Space Elevator Big John Home Built 111 July 21st 04 04:31 PM
U.S. Troops, Aircraft a Hit at Moscow Air Show Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 August 28th 03 10:04 PM