$1 billion BMS Ooops...

Old March 14th 21, 03:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default $1 billion BMS Ooops...

2G wrote on 3/13/2021 11:55 AM:
On Friday, March 12, 2021 at 7:27:24 PM UTC-8, Eric Greenwell wrote:
Dan Marotta wrote on 3/12/2021 10:30 AM:
Hows a self launch starting at 6,200' MSL up to 18,000' MSL followed by a distance of 350
nautical miles? That's what I'll be doing in June to relocate the Stemme from Moriarty, NM to
Rifle, CO. And it might use half a tank of gas.

Of course, I'll only do it that way if soaring conditions don't support gliding the whole way.

Dan
5J

On 3/11/21 6:18 PM, Eric Greenwell wrote:

How long a self-retrieve distance is the minimum acceptable to you?

Ok, you are not a current candidate for an electric motorglider (I knew that already :^) )

But, I'm still interested in Waremark's far smaller requirements. So far, the majority of the
pilots I've talked to that are considering moving to an electric self-launcher think 100 sm is
enough retrieve distance, and some think 50 miles is plenty. These are the people that are
willing to drive from where they live to where they want to fly. I'm one of those people,
because my wife and I like to travel in a motorhome with her sewing projects and sewing machine
in it.

Those must be flat-landers that don't have to clear even taller hills, let alone mountains. Your self-retrieve "distance" vanishes the moment you have to climb to clear an obstacle. Also, the electric self-launchers like the GP15 don't specify the retrieve distance when launching at MTOW. Think of it as getting you to a safe out-landing field which is how one pilot did at Ely last summer (and he took tows).

According to figures I have for the GP15, launching to 2600' agl at 8.5lb/ft2 uses about 20% of
the available energy (big battery); launching at 12 lb/ft2 would use about 28%. So, max
retrieve range would decrease comparably from 93 sm to 84 sm. Catch a thermal sooner, stop the
motor at 2000' agl, and it'd use 22%, so wold get 90 sm with the 12 lb/ft2 launch.

How often have you had to motor home more than 90 sm?

Old March 15th 21, 10:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Saturday, March 13, 2021 at 7:59:59 PM UTC-8, Eric Greenwell wrote:
2G wrote on 3/13/2021 11:55 AM:
[...]

Just a few times, but I wasn't flying a 15M glider, either. In two seasons of flying the 31Mi I have only done one precautionary 5 mile "retrieve" only because I didn't want to do a marginal glide. Again, you ignore having to climb over obstacles. What would happen if you were 70 sm out AND had to climb 3,000 ft? And, then, throw in a 20 kt headwind. I probably wouldn't even consider flying the GP15 at Ely.

Tom
Old March 16th 21, 12:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

2G wrote on 3/13/2021 11:55 AM:
[...]

The answer to the situation you propose (not enough range to get home) is a simple one: land at
the airport that makes for the shortest retrieve before the battery runs out, wait for the
towplane (or trailer) to come, go home. At Ely, that would be 60+ miles, since airports are so
far apart; at Parowan, or home, as close as 20 miles.

The main difficulty would likely be the wind, not the 3000' climb, as using a climb/glide
flight for the return would already have climbs that exceeded that.

Anyway, relax a bit, don't let your range anxiety cloud your thinking. I have 4000+ hours in a
motorgliders, much of it in places with mountains - as you know. I assure you, I have used all
that experience when considering what glider is suitable for me. After all, I did write the
book on operating motorgliders :^)

Old March 16th 21, 12:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matthew Scutter

2G wrote on 3/13/2021 11:55 AM:
[...]

Or recharge, then fly home the next day? I take a charger with me in my landout kit.

Old March 16th 21, 05:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

2G wrote on 3/13/2021 11:55 AM:
[...]

The case I cited the pilot did not come remotely close to making it to an airport: he found a small field that was landable. Retrieve was by 4WD and he got back to Ely at 2am. I considered that fortunate as one of the retrieves I went on the pilot didn't get back until more than a day later. That was the retrieve from hell which included dealing with a thunderstorm.
No, there is no way I would consider flying the GP15 out of Ely and I, too, have in excess of 4,000 hr of cross country glider time.

Tom
Old March 16th 21, 12:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

2G wrote on 3/13/2021 11:55 AM:
[...]

The Ely type of area is the major reason I chose the 8.4kWh battery for my GP15, instead of the
4.7kWh battery, as it doubles the launch+retrieve distance. The 4.7 kWh battery is more
attractive in areas with more airports, as it allows a lower minimum wing loading, a higher
wing loading with only water ballast, and is $5000 cheaper. But many pilots choose to fly in
Ely conditions with 15M gliders with ZERO self-retrieve distance, and are clever enough to
avoid retrieves from hell. I have good reason to believe I can do the same with "only" 90 miles
of retrieve distance ;^)

Old March 16th 21, 01:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

--

Or recharge, then fly home the next day? I take a charger with me in my landout kit.

I'm hoping that will be practical in the GP15. Overnight, even a small 500 watt charger would
be enough to add 50 self-retrieve miles to whatever charge was in the battery upon landing.
Old March 16th 21, 02:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Reinholt

One issue not discussed is the duration / altitude of the launch. At Ely, and other sites (Williams is one), the launch may run well over 20 minutes and altitude gain over 3000 feet hunting for lift. The numbers supplied by the manufacturers are for a 1500' gain under 10 minutes. That difference will put a severe dent on the retrieve distances.
Craig
Old March 16th 21, 06:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Craig Reinholt wrote on 3/16/2021 7:57 AM:
One issue not discussed is the duration / altitude of the launch. At Ely, and other sites (Williams is one), the launch may run well over 20 minutes and altitude gain over 3000 feet hunting for lift. The numbers supplied by the manufacturers are for a 1500' gain under 10 minutes. That difference will put a severe dent on the retrieve distances.
Craig

That hasn't been my experience at Ely, where a 2000' launch has almost always done the job, but
maybe I'm just lucky :^) Williams is a special case, and some FES will undoubtedly have to
take tows just to get to the soaring. It shouldn't be a problem for electrics with 50+ mile
range. Note that "the numbers" vary greatly between electric gliders, with some older FES
gliders having very limited climbs, and the newer mast-mounted motor systems by Schleicher,
Jonkers, and others offering 9,000'-13,000' climbs.