9800 Pro & FS2004

Old September 17th 04, 05:36 AM
Skyhawk

Default 9800 Pro & FS2004

Hi all
I just bought Radeon 9800 Pro and is running almost excellent. "Almost",
because I have a problem running FS2004. The fps is very low and during
(only) fs2004 harddrive is accessed constantly. It's happening on high
settings. When I minimize them, the FS2004 runs smooth with occasional
stutter once every 10-20 seconds, and harddrive is not being accessed
constantly then. I think that 9800 Pro should handle every current game
pretty easily, and my system is not so old. Any ideas, I think it's a common
problem. I've seen many posts on this topic in the past (not on this group),
but never found any solution.
BTW, during Mafia, all settings on max runs smooth with occasional stutter.
When I disable sound in Mafia's Setup the stutter no longer exists.
Disabling sound in FS2004 doesn't help at all though .

I think I got 2 problems: 1. occasional stutter (probably sound card etc) 2.
constant hd access during FS2004 (probably not sound card related)

FS2002, on maximum settings, runs (almost) beautifully if it wasn't for that
occasional stutter.

Please help, cause I thought that with this card all my gaming problems
would disappear.
Previously I had nVidia G4 420 MX, and FS2004 run almost the same as on 9800
Pro. All other games were of course much worse.
My comp:
Dell Dimension 8250
chipset Intel i850
Pentium 4 2.4 (not HT)
512 Ram
120Gb 7200
Radeon 9800 Pro 256Mb
Sound Blaster Live!

Old September 17th 04, 05:54 AM
Peter Duniho

"Skyhawk" wrote in message ...
Hi all
I just bought Radeon 9800 Pro and is running almost excellent. "Almost",
because I have a problem running FS2004. The fps is very low and during
(only) fs2004 harddrive is accessed constantly. It's happening on high
settings.
[...]
512 Ram

Add more RAM.

When the hard drive is going at the same time performance suffers, you are
almost always dealing with a low-memory issue. I can easily believe that
512MB is not enough RAM for running FS2004 at high graphics settings.

Pete

Old September 17th 04, 01:33 PM
Quilljar

You do not say what you consider lowFPS? For FS2004 I find that 15 -18 fps
is perfectly acceptable. However, with 512 RAM you will never get the
results that you want. Double that at least.

Old September 17th 04, 05:13 PM
Tom Gibson

Hi,

Until you add more RAM, you must close down all uneeded programs while
you are flying (like antivirus and other programs, as well as unneeded
OS parts). Use a program like End it All or Ken Salter's program at
AVSIM to quit these before starting up FS.

Hope this helps,

--
Tom Gibson

California Classic Propliners: http://www.calclassic.com/

Cal Classic Alco Page: http://www.calclassic.com/alco/

Freeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.com/

San Diego Model RR Museum: http://www.sdmodelrailroadm.com/

Drop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___

Old September 30th 04, 09:37 PM
Mr Digital

I tended to find this was the case on my system too. I now have 1.5gb of
DDr400 PC 3200 ram & the Athlon XP2600 processor GF4 Ti 4800 on AGP8 & i get
about a constant 18 to 20fps with no stuttering. This is without having to
close any applications.

Phil.