Metal cutting bandsaw problem

Old November 8th 07, 03:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Anthony W

Default Metal cutting bandsaw problem

Maxwell wrote:

Stationary brushes are ok, but the rotary a lot more robust and run longer
without adjustment.

Thanks guys, I'm going to look into these suggestions.

Tony
Old November 8th 07, 05:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Rich S.[_1_]

"Maxwell" wrote in message

Stationary brushes are ok, but the rotary a lot more robust and run longer
without adjustment.

Perhaps, but the problem as I read it is the loading of debris on the tires,
not clogging of the blade. A spring-loaded brush cleaning the tire may be
all that's needed.

Rich S.

Old November 8th 07, 09:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Denny

On Nov 8, 4:47 am, " wrote:
On Nov 7, 6:03 am, Anthony W wrote:

Anybody here have any experience with one of these critters? I bought a
Jet 1/2 HP last month for cutting aluminum. The saw looks to be of
exceptional quality for being Taiwanese and I'm overall pleased with how
it's made but assembling it was less than fun (getting the legs on was a
bitch...)

My aluminum supplier recommended a 4-6 variable pitch blade but the
closest blade I could was was a 6-8 pitch. Well it cuts like crazy now
rather than loading up but the problem I'm having is the shavings from
cutting get into the wheels of the saw and jam it up. So far I've been
able to blow the shavings away with a stream of air from an air nozzle.
Any one know of a better way to solve this problem or any other tips
for cutting aluminum with this saw?

Tony

I just lurk here. Post this on rec.crafts.metalworking where I hang
out.
Karl

We cut a fair amount of aluminum and use the bandsaw... We also use
the table saw and with a fine tooth blade it does a fine job... We
prefer the table saw for flat work, ripping sheet stock, etc......
denny

Old November 8th 07, 11:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Maxwell

"Anthony W" wrote in message
Maxwell wrote:

I have also seen small rotary wire brushes (designed for a drill motor or
such) bearing mounted to turn at an angle, rotated by only the passing
blade, but scrubbing chips from the blade.

Thanks, That's an interesting idea and I'll look into it. It would also
add the benefit of removing any loading of the blade. The 6-8 pitch blade
doesn't load much but a few chips will stick here and there.

You might want to consider one of the low end mist coolant systems also.
Keeping the blade moist might reduce or eliminate your chip problem, and/or
make them easier to brush away, without the need for a coolant friendly
table.

It can also eliminate the need to use wax on the blade while cutting
aluminum. Using one with a magnetic mount could also make the same mist unit
portable to a drill press or something when you are not using the saw.

Old November 8th 07, 11:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Maxwell

"Denny" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Nov 8, 4:47 am, " wrote:
[...]

Indeed. I have cut a lot of 3/8, 1/2 and 3/4 aluminum plate with a skill
saw. Just get a good full face shield.

Old April 2nd 08, 11:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"Anthony W" wrote

My aluminum supplier recommended a 4-6 variable pitch blade but the
closest blade I could was was a 6-8 pitch. Well it cuts like crazy now
rather than loading up but the problem I'm having is the shavings from
cutting get into the wheels of the saw and jam it up. So far I've been
able to blow the shavings away with a stream of air from an air nozzle.
Any one know of a better way to solve this problem or any other tips for
cutting aluminum with this saw?

Are there not a set of small diameter wire brush wheels rubbing against the
blade, to rub the aluminum off of the blade?

They need to be set so that the rotation of the blade causes the wheels to
go around, but at around a 45 degree angle, to rub the aluminum off, to drop
away before there is a chance for it to build up.

Lacking that, there is always cutting fluid and a pump to wash the chips
away.
--
Jim in NC

Old April 2nd 08, 11:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

OOps. Sorry; I did not realize that I was responding to a very old post,
until it was too late.
--
Jim in NC

Old April 3rd 08, 11:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Anthony W

Morgans wrote:
OOps. Sorry; I did not realize that I was responding to a very old post,
until it was too late.

I solved the problem by setting up a shop vac to suck up the chips off
the stock being cut. It's not an elegant solution but it works. There
wasn't room to install a rolling wire brush but it probably would work
on a larger saw.

Tony

PLEASE NEED HELP with Cherokee 180 metal bulkhead problem under back seat C Owning 37 April 27th 05 02:00 PM
Cutting Lexan? Scott Home Built 15 February 19th 04 12:51 AM
Cutting shirttails??? Larry Dighera Soaring 11 September 3rd 03 03:34 PM
Cutting off shirt tails Wally Samuelson Military Aviation 24 September 3rd 03 12:33 AM
Cutting shirttails??? Larry Dighera Piloting 1 August 26th 03 06:55 PM