2 cylinder engines

Old February 3rd 08, 01:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

Default 2 cylinder engines

On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 09:48:49 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

most of the V engines are around 90 lbs.
the Briggs 'n Stratton Vanguard is evidently around 70lb.

It's 125 lb. Not light at all. See
http://www.commercialpower.com/displ...sp?docid=80498

Dan

have a look on the luciole site that phillip vesaire posted and note
the slight difference between the stock engine and all its
accessories, and the engine as mounted in flying condition. I wouldnt
have believed 50 lb difference but it seems to be.
Old February 3rd 08, 08:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

wrote in message
most of the V engines are around 90 lbs.
the Briggs 'n Stratton Vanguard is evidently around 70lb.

It's 125 lb. Not light at all. See
http://www.commercialpower.com/displ...sp?docid=80498

Dan

Yeah, something changed while I wasn't paying attention.

Up through 28 or 29 horsepower was in that lower range of weights, IIRC.
However, everything above 23 hp appears to now be part of their "big block"
series, which is around 125 pounds for the air cooled version. There is
also a liqued cooled version, which is even heavier.

While the "rest of the story" is probably interesting, your point is well
taken.

BTW, the 23 hp Briggs engine (like the 20 hp Kohler engine) is still in the
weight range that we remembered--although there does not appear to be any
advantage in horsepower per pound.

Peter

Old February 4th 08, 12:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

My 38 peak hp Generac, stripped for flying and direct drive, weighs
about 79 pounds dry. It stays plenty cool installed as a free-air
cooled pusher on my Thunder Gull. Valley Engineering is working on a
version that they think will be about 70 pounds.
Old February 4th 08, 12:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Feb 3, 5:20 pm, wrote:
My 38 peak hp Generac, stripped for flying and direct drive, weighs
about 79 pounds dry. It stays plenty cool installed as a free-air
cooled pusher on my Thunder Gull. Valley Engineering is working on a
version that they think will be about 70 pounds.

That's more like it. How much do they think they'll sell these
things for once they're ready?

Dan
Old February 4th 08, 01:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

wrote in message
My 38 peak hp Generac, stripped for flying and direct drive, weighs
about 79 pounds dry. It stays plenty cool installed as a free-air
cooled pusher on my Thunder Gull. Valley Engineering is working on a
version that they think will be about 70 pounds.

OK, so far so good.

I did a quick web search and found a model GHT990, which is a 992cc V-Twin
that seems to fit the description; with a max power of 38 hp and a
recommended power of 32 hp. It is stated to weigh 119 pounds as delivered,
which is about six pounds lighter than the 33 hp Briggs--for which I did not
happen to notice graphs for peak and normal power--although they almost
certainly exist.

The question is: What did you have to remove to reduce the weight by 40
pounds?

Peter

Old April 8th 08, 03:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Darrel Toepfer

"oilsardine" wrote:

and then back again
http://www.takeoff-ul.de/motoren.html

Try this instead:
http://www.takeoff-ul.de/motoren.htm
Old April 8th 08, 11:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"Darrel Toepfer" wrote in message
. 18...
"oilsardine" wrote:

and then back again
http://www.takeoff-ul.de/motoren.html

Try this instead:
http://www.takeoff-ul.de/motoren.htm

I like it, I think, but is there an English version available?
--
Jim in NC

Old April 9th 08, 03:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

Try this instead:
http://www.takeoff-ul.de/motoren.htm

How about the HKS?

Was the link at the top above, a BMW conversion?

HKS would not be at the top of my list.
--
Jim in NC