Sunlight readable Oudie - get yours upgraded!

Old March 2nd 12, 08:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

Default Sunlight readable Oudie - get yours upgraded!

On Mar 2, 11:51*am, Sean Fidler wrote:
200 Euros + VAT + round trip shipping to Europe = $270 USD + $45 VAT + $65 Shipping = $380 USD and 4-6 weeks? *Does this sound about right?

Innitially that seems rather expensive. *The existing Oudie owner has already spent $600 within the past couple years. *We will have nearly $1000 total invested in the product after the upgrade is completed. *$1000. *Thats alot for a PDA!

Is the upgrade screen only? *Or are there other enhancements such
as *a faster processor or an improved battery? *How about an IGC approved logger? *Maybe a miniaturized espresso machine? *:-)

I thank you for improving your product but the price of the upgrade is
approaching that of an iPad 2 (http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/
shop_ipad/family/ipad)

The price of a new sunlight readable Oudie is $600 (plus tax & shipping). Expensive when you consider that the hardware, minus the screen upgrade, is likely very outdated in comparison with the latest devices available. *But the convenience of the Oudie package is nice and I am sure that it will sell very well.

In my opinion this upgrade price is so high that it is not worth it
for current owners. *It definitely is to me...

I would like to offer my Oudie for sale at $400 USD. *Included are all
the mounts (window suction, etc) and chargers (wall and car). *I used it last season and enjoyed it. *It works very well! *You may need to tip your sunglasses or shade it with your hands to see it in very bright sunlight from time to time, but its no big deal. *I honestly rarely had any problem seeing the screen. *My main wish is to be able to take advantage of the rapid onslaught of very affordable modern hardware. *The Oudie is solid, works well and is a proven product. *SeeYou is very good soaring software! *It is more than most will need for sure!

Contact me at smfidlerATgmailDOTcom if you are interested in a nice unit at a nice discount.

Thx.

Sean

Sean,

The price is $250 and shipping from Craggy Aero. NO VAT an no long
lead time after we intially get the program going.

Thanks,

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Old March 8th 12, 08:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Mara

Naviter has said the cost to update any Oudies purchased since January 1st
2012 would be done at just EU50 and older units would be EU200 for the
updated screen and any other updates...I will be able to help with getting
these updated if anyone is in the US and wants to have the update done
without having to send theirs back to the manufacturer they can just send
them to me here
Tim
Please visit the Wings & Wheels website at www.wingsandwheels.com

database 6933 (20120302) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 6951 (20120308) __________

http://www.eset.com

Old March 9th 12, 11:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cats

Out of curiosity, how does the brightness of the new Oudie compare to
a Clearnav?

Old March 9th 12, 12:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

"Cats" wrote in message
Out of curiosity, how does the brightness of the new Oudie compare to
a Clearnav?

Hi,

Good question. It is my impression that "nits" measurements are a bit
approximate, so we won't know for certain until we have a new Oudie in hand.
However, the specifications for the new brighter Oudie say it is in the 900
nits range. The ClearNav specifications state that, "Nominal luminance is
700 Candelas/m^2 (nits), achieved with a single lamp that goes around 3
sides of the LCD. NK provides lamp overdrive capability up to 1100 nits for
severe ambient conditions such as flying into a hazy late afternoon sun."
It sounds to me like they will be quite similar. The ClearNav is great in
sunlight. So are the LX8000, LX8080 and LX9000. It sounds like the new
Oudie will be very similar.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old March 3rd 12, 05:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

Some comments on prices:

The new Oudie is $600. Includes power supply, and SeeYouMobile.

A BrightNav (or similar V1) is $300. Add a power supply, it's $365, with XCSoar or LK8000. Smoking deal! But if you want SYM, then its another $239, so the price ends up being about the same as a new Oudie at $604.

A Dell Streak is around $350 on Ebay, less if you want to play bidding games with 12 year olds... Add a power supply, it's probably around $400 - and you are limited to XCSoar. Great if you like XCSoar. Not so great (for now, at least) if you prefer SYM or LK8000.

So we are talking about $200 difference here! (less if you already use SYM and get a discount, by the way...).

Now if you feel you need bragging rights on having the latest processor and OS in your cockpit, then your choice might be biased a bit.

Kirk
66
Old March 3rd 12, 06:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
PCool

I keep telling my friends asking for the software, that if they know how to
use at least 30% of CUm functions, keep using it!
Because most of functionalities in software are never used (think about a
wordprocessor). In flight, it is important the pilot know the sw,
and he has spent time to learn it .
So for 150$ I wouldnt suggest a friend to change software and mind, and the
Naviter offer is affordable and very reasonable all considered.

I have taken today some pictures of this new screen (ok I use V1, but it is
the same, and mine is also a prototype).
Well guys, night and day, night and day compared to old LCDs. Perfect in
the sun, just perfect in any light condition.

The pics from Naviter are not enough to describe the difference. Andrej make
some more, compared to other units!

Old March 3rd 12, 07:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan[_6_]

On Mar 3, 10:40*am, "PCool" wrote:
[...]

I love my Oudie, as it is, it has been great and I'm sure it will be
even better when it is brighter. I love how easy it was to set up,
good to go right out of the box and I didn't need to be a computer
expert to make it go. Plus all the options that came in the box made
it easy to come up with the best installation that worked for me. On
top of that it has proven to be a stable platfrom. Such an
inprovement from the old PDA's.

I'm a huge fan of Naviter, they have been great for our sport. Keep up
the good work guys.
Bravo!

Dan Rihn
WO
Old March 3rd 12, 07:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan[_6_]

On Mar 3, 11:17*am, Dan wrote:
On Mar 3, 10:40*am, "PCool" wrote:

[...]

WO- Hide quoted text -

should have mentioned that it is also nice to have a good backup OLC
approved logger......I needed that capability once.....forgot top plug
in the VL.

Dan
WO
Old March 4th 12, 12:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan[_4_]

On Mar 2, 7:25*am, Andrej Kolar wrote:
Hey group!

We are very excited to announce that a Sunlight readable Oudie will
become available shortly (mid April) and maybe even more significantly
that we went into considerable trouble and will be be able to upgrade
your old Oudie too!

Full news announcement is hehttp://www.naviter.si/content/view/148/1/lang,en/

We will be happy to discuss it here on r.a.s. as well.

Cheers,
Andrej Kolar
--
glider pilots usehttp://www.Naviter.com/

Just curious - what does the new screen do to the power draw (battery
life)?
Old March 4th 12, 05:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

"Dan" wrote in message
On Mar 2, 7:25 am, Andrej Kolar wrote:
Hey group!

We are very excited to announce that a Sunlight readable Oudie will
become available shortly (mid April) and maybe even more significantly
that we went into considerable trouble and will be be able to upgrade
your old Oudie too!

Full news announcement is
hehttp://www.naviter.si/content/view/148/1/lang,en/

We will be happy to discuss it here on r.a.s. as well.

Cheers,
Andrej Kolar
--
glider pilots usehttp://www.Naviter.com/

Just curious - what does the new screen do to the power draw (battery
life)?

Hi Dan,

Good question. The new brighter Oudie will use more current than the
original version Oudie. I don't have specific current draw numbers yet.

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.