Region 5 South Contest Report

Old June 13th 19, 12:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Default Region 5 South Contest Report

Regarding mass communication..here st Club Nationals we required all competitors to get on a calling post group. This is the program Walt has been using for distributing his weather briefings. All they have to do is send a text and confirm on a web link, then they are in the group. Then Walt and I can send group texts and/or emails to the entire contest. It has been really nice.
Old June 13th 19, 04:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

They used "WhatsApp" at 15m Nats in Bermuda high this year. It had the advantage of using WiFi when Cell coverage was not available and could download pics docs ect.
Old August 25th 19, 03:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jamie Shore

We used WhatsApp at the Region 10 contest at the Soaring Club of Houston this past week to communicate contest info, reminders, task information and weather charts. The feedback has been positive so far with one exception:

*No chit chat. Ask participants to start their own private sub-chats for topics that don't affect the whole group. A few people turn off notifications because there is too much chit chat. This defeats the purpose of timely communication of the important information.

Jamie Shore
Soaring Club of Houston
Old August 26th 19, 02:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

"with one exception"

I might represent that. They ran a great Contest with Whatsapp. It seemed to work like a very quick E-mail reflector. Jamie provided great user support which mitigated the effort of installing the extra app for a few of us old fossils. It saved the effort of having to setup a reflector for the contest.

My objection was that it seemed an extra app and potentially gave up the phone's contact list and i-cloud account access to Facebook. With a bit of effort it can be made to work without the contact list and i-cloud access, which made it fine.

If I was interested in international messaging, I might consider it as a goto app. That seems it primary market niche these days.
Old August 27th 19, 02:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark Morwood

If I was interested in international messaging, I might consider it as a goto app. That seems it primary market niche these days.

I'm not sure that 1.5 billion active users is consistent with WhatsApp having a "niche market". :-) But I do understand that in the US context it is not as common.