Pirep: SacSkyRanch Oil Filter Can Cutter

Old January 1st 06, 02:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Pirep: SacSkyRanch Oil Filter Can Cutter

Mine arrived today and I had 2 filters waiting for it. Short story: It
simply WORKS. No fuss, no muss, no cheap parts, no weak links, no binding,
no huge shipping or handling fees, quick delivery, no problems.

After asking the group's opinions, I crossed off several can cutters that
members were not happy with. I was familiar with Sacramento Sky Ranch's
website ( as I often pull info from them when trying to diagnose a problem )
so I was happy to see that they offered a can cutter of their own at
www.cancutter.com. The design looked sturdy enough, and definitely is, so I
was looking forward to someone in the group recommending it. First up: Jim
Weir. His recommendation, the great GA support that SacSkyRanch gives
owners/pilots, and Mike Busch's article at
http://www.avweb.com/news/columns/190242-1.html convinced me that I couldn't
go wrong.

I bought the package that included the ingenious filter can holder because
it would make it possible for me to mount it to an iron plate that could be
easily clamped to the bumper of my pickup as we don't have a bench mounted
vise at the hanger. Now you could, I suppose, weld an old 1" socket to a
metal plate, then weld a piece of tubing or pipe over the socket and onto
the plate, but for $30 my time is worth more than that. Today I simply
clamped the can holder in the vise at our shop and went to town on the
filters.

Insert filter in can holder.
Pull off rubber filter seal, not necessary but it keeps it out of the way.
Put cutter over can.
Squeeze handles together so blade cuts into can.
One hand on the handle, one hand on the knob.
Turn once around.
Done.

It's as simple as this: http://www.cancutter.com/movies/cancutterfancy.mpg

FWIW, I'm a satisfied customer.

Jim

Old January 1st 06, 04:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Jim Burns wrote:

FWIW, I'm a satisfied customer.

Thanks Jim...you probably just make Skyranch some more money since,
after reading the Avweb article, I feel guilty and that the only way to
make reparations for my transgressions is to buy and use a filter
cutter. :-)

Heck, it's less than .1 AMU for the filter cutter...not something that
happens very often in aviation.

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-IA Student

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Old January 1st 06, 05:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Jim Burns wrote:
Ah Jack,
Don't think of it as a guilty purchase, think of it as an investment in the
health and welfare of your Arrow and of your flying life!

And, a way to spend less than .1 AMU at a local airplane parts
place...what a win-win situation!

Ok, it's getting deep in here... Happy New Year!

So that's what I smell!

I see you're having a real blow out New Years eve celebration like me,
eh Jim? I mean posting on r.a.o at almost 11:00 local time is living
large. :-)

Yawn...getting to be time for bed. Hopefully I get to fly tomorrow.
Nice way to start out '06.

Happy New Year!