A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Interested in a group buy? New axle for Komet trailer

Old March 11th 21, 12:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
steve smith
external usenet poster

Default Interested in a group buy? New axle for Komet trailer

I have been working with the USA distributor for Knott axles, Autoflex Knott in Michigan. They can order replacement axles from the main plant in Hungary, and they have verified the correct mounting and width for my axle on my Komet trailer with the factory. The cost is $500 FOB Michigan, and it will be fabricated in May and expected delivery in early July.

If you have an old Komet trailer, you may have noticed that as the rubber strips in the torsion axle age, the suspension settles. What you may not have noticed is that the rubber also gets very hard, so there is very little suspension travel or shock absorption.

My axle hub face track width is 1530 mm (60.25") The lateral spacing of the mount holes is 1100 mm (43.3") and the longitudinal spacing is 160 mm (6.3").
There may be other sizes that went on other sizes of trailer, but for regular Komet trailers for std and 15M class gliders, that is probably fairly universal?

If you are interested in buying an axle, call Sarah Smith at Autoflex-Knott, 920.928.6880 If you place your order in the next few days, it may accelerate delivery.
Old March 11th 21, 12:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
steve smith
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, March 10, 2021 at 4:26:01 PM UTC-8, steve smith wrote:
I have been working with the USA distributor for Knott axles, Autoflex Knott in Michigan. They can order replacement axles from the main plant in Hungary, and they have verified the correct mounting and width for my axle on my Komet trailer with the factory. The cost is $500 FOB Michigan, and it will be fabricated in May and expected delivery in early July.

If you have an old Komet trailer, you may have noticed that as the rubber strips in the torsion axle age, the suspension settles. What you may not have noticed is that the rubber also gets very hard, so there is very little suspension travel or shock absorption.

My axle hub face track width is 1530 mm (60.25") The lateral spacing of the mount holes is 1100 mm (43.3") and the longitudinal spacing is 160 mm (6..3").
There may be other sizes that went on other sizes of trailer, but for regular Komet trailers for std and 15M class gliders, that is probably fairly universal?

If you are interested in buying an axle, call Sarah Smith at Autoflex-Knott, 920.928.6880 If you place your order in the next few days, it may accelerate delivery.

Oh, sorry, I mis-spoke, they are in Wisconsin.
Old March 11th 21, 01:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, March 10, 2021 at 7:49:39 PM UTC-5, steve smith wrote:
On Wednesday, March 10, 2021 at 4:26:01 PM UTC-8, steve smith wrote:

My axle hub face track width is 1530 mm (60.25") The lateral spacing of the mount holes is 1100 mm (43.3") and the longitudinal spacing is 160 mm (6.3").

Oh, sorry, I mis-spoke, they are in Wisconsin.

I can confirm that Sarah Smith at Autofex-Knott is extremely helpful! I ordered a replacement axle for our German homebuilt TwinAstir trailer in December of last year which arrived in the first container of the year in January and was then promptly forwarded to us in SC. It was a straight drop-in replacement and fit perfectly.
When you order a replacement axle, order new brake cables as well.

Uli
'AS'