Wing Stall

Old December 8th 03, 03:22 PM
PaulaJay1

Default Wing Stall

I did an interesting experiment in my Archer yesterday. I've read about the
wing washout and know the soft stall of my Archer but yeaterday I saw it.
Using small pieces of duct tape, I put eight, six inch ribbons on the left wing
- four along the leading edge, back about 10 inches, and four, 10 inches
forward of the trailing edge.

At 3,000 AGL, I slowly decreased speed while holding altitude. For the longest
time they all streamed. Then the most inboard aft "came loose". Just before
the break for the stall, all four close in ribbons were stalling and the four
out ribbons were still streaming. The Archer stall is mild and is a series of
scollops. The outside ribbons, in the area of the ailerons kept streaming.

I saw what makes this a forgiving plane and a good choice for the occasional
pilot.

Chuck

Old December 8th 03, 08:59 PM
Dashi

"PaulaJay1" wrote in message

[...]

The Archer is a real nice airplane, what year is yours?

Dashi

Chuck

Old December 9th 03, 03:49 AM
Michelle P

Chuck,
You were conducting the this "experiment" in a Experimental Certified
aircraft right? ;-) Otherwise you violated the type certificate of the
aircraft.
I hope you were alone and the FAA was not watching.

Michelle

PaulaJay1 wrote:

[...]

Michelle P ATP-ASEL, CP-AMEL, and AMT-A&P

"Elisabeth" a Maule M-7-235B (no two are alike)

Volunteer Pilot, Angel Flight Mid-Atlantic

Volunteer Builder, Habitat for Humanity

Old December 9th 03, 05:11 PM
PaulaJay1

In article eZ5Bb.272612$Dw6.930509@attbi_s02, Kevin writes:

Cool test Chuck! I assume the ribbons were straight back in normal
flight? What did they do during the stall? Sideways, upwards,
forwards, random?

-Nathan

It would get even better if you add some vortex generators .

Straight back and no flutter during normal flight.
Ribbons lifted off the wing and did random lazy circles in stall.

What does "even better" mean? I liked what I saw. Vortex generators (don't
think they are STCed for the Archer) would make the flow stick longer and the
wing break more sudden, wouldn't it.

Chuck
Old December 9th 03, 05:11 PM
PaulaJay1

In article , "Dashi"
writes:

The Archer is a real nice airplane, what year is yours?

Dashi

The name plate is 24 years old; the engine is 7 years old(from overhaul); the
wingtips are 3 years old; and the 430 GPS is one year old. Planes sorta don't
have an age, do they.G

Chuck
Old December 9th 03, 05:24 PM
ShawnD2112

Chuck,
You didn't happen to video it, did you? I've been looking for exactly that
kind of footage for my ground school class to show exactly what you've
talked about.

Shawn

Old December 9th 03, 06:34 PM
Dave Butler

Various of the King Schools knowledge exam prep multimedia materials have some
footage like that. Probably copyrighted, though.

Dave
Remove SHIRT to reply directly.

"PaulaJay1" wrote in message

[...]

Dave Butler, software engineer 919-392-4367
A fool and his money are soon flying more airplane than he can handle.