First "real" hold (long)

Old October 7th 04, 02:09 AM
Scott D.

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 07:57:31 -0400, Roy Smith wrote:

In article , Scott D.
wrote:

What made matters worst, was the fact that we had around a 42 knot
tail wind on the outbound leg, which made for a 15 second outbound
just for a 1 min inbound. Talk about work!

In a situation like that, you can make life easier on yourself by asking
for longer legs.

You know, honestly that never really occurred to me. That was about
the first real hold that I ever had to do in about 5 years of flying
so my first thought was, am I actually doing this correctly But
that is something to think about if I ever had to do that again.

Today, I was stuck at SAF waiting for the fog to burn off because we
had some avionic/electrical issues on the plane I was flying and I
told my boss that I was not going to fly out of their IFR with some
known issues and that we were going to wait till it went VFR, but in
the mean time, We were out on the flight line when we heard a jet
going missed, we could hear him but could not see him. Then about an
hour later here he came and went again. I knew his pain and felt
sorry for him. Then about another hour later, the fog had lifted
enough and he was able to set it on the ground. It was a Challenger.
I talked to the pilot and asked him how long he had held and he said
that was the longest 2 hours he had ever lived. He said he had enough
fuel for 1 more hour but he didn't thing that "HE" would have made it.

Scott D.
Old October 7th 04, 07:16 PM
Paul Sengupta

"Doug" wrote in message
om...
Ask for 6 mile legs.

You wouldn't need a plane if you had 6 mile legs.

Paul