Polisher/buffer selection

Old November 22nd 05, 07:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Polisher/buffer selection

I've browsed the old discussions on gelcoat maintenance to learn what
I can before developing a maintenance routine of my own, for my
recently acquired V2C. One thing not yet clear to me is the best way to
use/apply 3M's Finesse-It II, which seems to be the consensus
cleaner/polisher compound: With a high speed (~3000 rpm) polisher, or
something slower? With random orbit or fixed rotary? (Does Finesse-It
II require the generation of heat to do its thing?)

There seems to be a broad range of prices (from ~$30 for a Ryobi 10"
orbital polisher at Home Depot, to $190 for a DeWalt DW849 polisher,
mail order), so this is an investment I want to get right the first
time.

Advance thanks

~ted/2NO

Old November 22nd 05, 09:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Gary,

Can you help me with some specifics. You said "Orbital machines are for
polishing wax". But if my notes are correct, polishing and waxing are
two different exercises, one preparing the surface and the other
protecting it. Can you clarify?

Also, what is buffing? What is cutting? What's the difference between a
buffer and polisher? 1750rpm and 8 in foam pads on what type or brand
of machine? I see 6, 7, 8, and 10 inch pads; can typical machines
handle multiple pad sizes?

I remember a little less than two years ago going through a state of
careful study mixed with terminal confusion when I was learning about
flight computers, loggers and electric varios. This is déjà vu!

~ted

Old November 22nd 05, 09:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

For orbital polishing it pays to invest in a quality polisher/sander.
The key is a "wide adjustable rpm's range" and power.
Mine has a no step range of 750 to 3500 rpm
I invested in a professional Black & Decker unit some 10 years ago .
At the time it was a lot of money. Now that most of this stuff is made in
China
it should be considerably less.
You must avoid heat built up at all cost. Luke warm to the touch is OK.
If too much heat is generated the gel coat will bubble
Udo

Old November 22nd 05, 09:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

At 21:24 22 November 2005,
wrote:
[...]

is d=E9j=E0 vu!

~ted

Sorry for the confusion. The terms often get used interchangeably.
Orbital polishers are what you would typically use
for applying and/or polishing an automotive type of
wax although I find it just as easy to do the waxing
by hand.
Buffing is a much more aggressive way to finish paint
and/or gel coat. Cutting refers to the use of stronger
compounds that you would typically use after the final
wet sanding step. It is the step between sanding and
buffing with super fine compounds like 3M's Finesse-It.
What you start with needs to be determined by the condition
of the existing finish. Plain wax will not remove any
imperfections in gel coat so for very slight imperfections
you would first try finesse-It and only move into more
aggressive cutting compounds if needed. You obviously
want to remove no more gel coat in the process than
absolutely necessary. Wax would be applied after final
buffing.

Old November 22nd 05, 10:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Buffing and polishing is done with the same machine I mentioned earlier
The Buffing compound will do just fine after 600 grid.
I used successfully Aqua Buff 1000 and 2000 in succession.
Results are just great.
It is made by Hawk Eye Industries Inc. As the name implies it is water based
and has no silicones or solvents in it.
By the way all is done with the same wool pad. It is a piece of cake.
Udo

Old November 22nd 05, 10:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

A non orbital polisher is available at automotive parts stores, like Pep
Boys here in New Hampshire, for about $50. Check out Aqua-Buff 2000 for
your polishing compound if your surface is not too bad:
http://www.duratec1.com/dp17-18.html

Bob

ups.com...

Old November 22nd 05, 10:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Jeez, Tuno, it's practically brand new! Just lovingly apply something
like Wx Block/Wx Seal - by hand, so you can really feel the beauty of
the glider - and enjoy!

Less chance of ripping off seals that way, too!

66

Old November 23rd 05, 12:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

How often should the oxydation be polished off then, Kirk?

My crew will like the idea of polishing by hand. She likes to help, and
save money at the same time!

~tuno