LPV only?

Old October 31st 07, 05:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Doug Carter

Default LPV only?

Have any WAAS LPV approaches been established for runways that do not already
have an ILS in place? I'm presuming the limiting factor is LPV deployment is
clearing the approach airspace, lighting, runway length rather than drawing the
approach plate...

Does the FAA publish its priorities or a schedule of new/improved approaches?
--
Shiny new 430W
Old October 31st 07, 05:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Macklin

http://www.faa.gov/airports_airtraffic/

Old October 31st 07, 06:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Doug Carter

On 2007-10-31, Jim Macklin p51mustang wrote:
http://www.faa.gov/airports_airtraffic/

Thanks... but, kinda like being referred to the public library Is there
actually a specific section on approach publishing schedules?
Old October 31st 07, 09:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Have any WAAS LPV approaches been established for runways that do not already
have an ILS in place?

Yes. In my neck of the woods, TCY, C83 and HAF come to mind.

Does the FAA publish its priorities or a schedule of new/improved approaches?

I don't know.

Shiny new 430W

Enjoy!

Old October 31st 07, 09:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Macklin

Since you want the info, and unless you want to hire at a
decent wage, you'll have to do a little research.

Might I suggest, Google's site search feature...
www.faa.gov

www.firstgov.gov

You can also check www.aopa.org www.nbaa.org and your
Congressman's office gets paid to answer questions from
constituents.

BTW, the link I posted IS just what you wanted, you
obviously didn't bother to look at it.

Old October 31st 07, 10:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Bee[_2_]

Doug Carter wrote:
Have any WAAS LPV approaches been established for runways that do not already
have an ILS in place? I'm presuming the limiting factor is LPV deployment is
clearing the approach airspace, lighting, runway length rather than drawing the
approach plate...

Does the FAA publish its priorities or a schedule of new/improved approaches?
--
Shiny new 430W

Most LPV IAPs that have been published to date are not to ILS runways.

There are strict airspace issues, similar to an ILS. No course change
at the FAF unlike other RNAV.

Parallel taxiway.

GQS (glideslope qualification surface) a very strict obstacle-free area
inside DA to the runway.

No lighting required for daytime. ALS are optional for reduction in
visibility.

Production plan for all IAPs:

http://avnweb.jccbi.gov/schedule/production
Old October 31st 07, 10:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Doug Carter

On 2007-10-31, John Collins wrote:

There are LPV approaches at airports that do not have an ILS. A local
example for my area is at KAKH.

John, thanks. Your links were quite useful. As it turns out there are (as of
the August report) some 516 LPV approaches to runways without an ILS and 295 to
airports with no ILS at all.

I am pleasantly supprised that the WAAS approachs are moving along.

Thanks again,

Doug
Old October 31st 07, 11:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jon

On 2007-10-31, John Collins wrote:

There are LPV approaches at airports that do not have an ILS. A local
example for my area is at KAKH.

John, thanks. Your links were quite useful. As it turns out there are (as of
the August report) some 516 LPV approaches to runways without an ILS and 295 to
airports with no ILS at all.

I am pleasantly supprised that the WAAS approachs are moving along.

ISTR they had stepped up production in the last couple years, and are
now cranking 'em (all types of WAAS approaches) out at a average rate
of around 100 per cycle.

Thanks again,

Doug

It's worth pointing out that AVN may update the site at some point to
distinguish between the existing LPV (250ft. DH) and a newer type of
procedure (LPV-200) which is on the horizon. Also, it's my
understanding that, in some cases, there may be a mix of the two
procedures at some airports (for example, LPV on one runway end,
LPV-200 on another).

Regards,
Jon

Old November 1st 07, 03:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jon

On Oct 31, 8:49 pm, "John Collins"
wrote:
"Jon" wrote in message

[snip]

There has been a giant improvement in the LPV coverage thru out the US,
Canada, and Mexico since late Sept. Around 9 new ground reference stations
have gone on line and the WAAS system software has been upgraded. Now the
200 ft LPV coverage area covers most of the country.

Indeed. And this is important as there's something on the order of a
couple thousand TSO-ed receivers out there now, so the system is being
used so much more than when it IOC in '03.

The WRSes in Canada, Alaska, and Mexico[1] helped to improve the
service volume, as did the code releases from Raytheon. Repositioning
one of the GEOs and adding a 3rd also help with coverage as well, as
the GEOs provide a (GPS-like) ranging source in addition to being
their primary purpose of being an uplink for correction/integrity
info.

[1] The WRSes in Mexico aren't certified everywhere yet (e.g. not to
be used up in Canada).

Seehttp://www.nstb.tc.faa.gov/RT_VerticalProtectionLevel.htmfor near real-time
coverage.

Good linkage. The Tech Center (Atlantic City) is THE definitive source
for, among other things, all things WAAS Signal-in-Space (SIS). They
have been collecting SIS for at least a decade and know more about
all . We use(d) them as the "Truth Source" for validating our SVM
prediction model. Bill Wanner and his team are good people, all quite
competent in the field.

It's fun attending meetings there, as there's a fighter wing next
door, and when they practice touch and go's on the TC's runways, the
windows in the conference room warble

Some general eye candy - albeit somewhat PR-ified, but better signal/
noise ratio than you might find from the typical media links with
which some seem to have an undying love affair - on several things
going on at the TC, including a (dated) high-level blurb on WAAS (CNS
video), can be found at:

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/...ffices/ato/tc/
tc_videos/

Apologies for the brain-dead wrapping that Google is sure to have done
to the above link. Just splice the two pieces into the browser's maw
and you should be good to go.

--

Regards,

John D. Collins
4317 Old Saybrook Ct
Charlotte, NC 28211
(704) 364-3696 Tel/Fax
(704) 576-3561 Cell

Regards,
Jon

Old November 1st 07, 04:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jon

Apologies for the reply-to-self. Pulled the Send trigger a little to
quick:

On Oct 31, 11:39 pm, Jon wrote:
They
have been collecting SIS for at least a decade and know more about
all .

the details that are hapeening inside tho various 250-bit WAAS
messages continuously being broadcast, than just about anyone. To be
fair, some folks at Stanford, FAA, and of course, Raytheon, are right
up there as they were all key players, from Requirements on through to
Deployment; but the group at the TC are the ones that ran the initial
flight certification trials, ran the 60-day stability test prior to
IOC, and continue work with the bits/bytes day in and day out.

The periodic PAN reports are available for those that want to dig
deeper down, and perhaps for others that may have trouble falling
asleep at night : http://www.nstb.tc.faa.gov/ArchiveList.html

Regards,
Jon