OK, we got the AM1000!

Old March 28th 04, 02:54 AM
Tom Sixkiller

What's an AM1000?

wrote in message
Well................

It arrived yesterday...

And 1st impressions are... WAY beyond expectations...

Well constructed, high quality components..

LOVE the HSI !

Manual is very good, and unique... "we would like you to
start here, but if you JUST HAVE TO start playing with it, go
straight to page whatever and go to it" etc... G

They did not screw with the mounting, just included TWO of
the great "RAM" mounting systems.

It fits the yoke of our 172 perfectly, although we used the
socket section from the RAM suction mount 'cause it was shorter and
positioned the unit closer to the yoke cushion.

Active antenna velcro'd to the cowl ahead of the handhold,
we gonna try it there..3 other antenna mounts supplied...

Accquires FAST.. and seems to do all expected of it.. and
dims down very well for night operations, also has a "night"
(negative ) setting...

LOVE the big screen! ...can have the HSI & a map up, (split
screen) and these 55 yr old eyes can still see it! and it does not
interfere with reading the panel instruments..

Like the vertical orentation of the screen as well...

We operated it in the car and it responded well to all
changes on direstion, speed alt etc..

Weather permitting, we fly it tomorrow...

I will post our experiences, comments etc. with this unit here
as we use it IF any one is interested.

Thanks to all that offered suggestions / advice here while we
were shopping!

Oh yea, we decided on the ICOM portable with VOR as well...

Two new toys in one day! G

Dave

Old March 28th 04, 04:21 AM
JJS

Dave,
The wife and I just returned from a vacation trip, (16.8 hour flight
time) to Santa Fe, the meteor crater, Sedona, AZ, and the Grand
Canyon. My new AirMap 1000 performed like a champ and quickly became
my preferred NAV source even though I have a panel mount GPS as well.
I predict you'll like yours... a lot. One of the features I hadn't
foreseen being too useful was the Map Create software and associated
database. I loaded the whole route before we left and I was glad I
did. The added detail provided when you zoom in is fabulous. We have
been following the old Santa Fe trail with my old AM 100 by
programming waypoints in before the flight. I started doing that
again for this leg and found the whole trail was already on the map!
We used the GPS to do everything from find our way around unfamiliar
towns in rental cars, follow 4X4 trails in our rented Jeep, and find
restaurants and hotels. It even lists the phone numbers of the
business establishments. Want seafood? Search the units database
pick the seafood category, hit nearest button and you'll find your
closest fish places. Call their supplied phone number and make a
reservation. Slap the unit in the rental car using the extra suction
cup RAM mount and let it lead you to the eatery. We used it to find
ice cream establishments on two different occasions and a Rite-Aid
pharmacy as well. Program the Grand Canyon Corridor waypoints into
the unit and follow them over the big hole. What a trip! Beautiful
weather the whole way. BTW, my favorite airborne navigation display
is the one that combines the map and vertical altitude and airspeed
and vsi ribbons. My wife isn't into electronic toys, but once she saw
how useful it was she kept reminding me to bring it along every time
we left the hotel.

Joe Schneider
Cherokee 8437R - Grand Canyon Crosser Extra-ordinaire

Old March 28th 04, 02:57 PM

Sorry!

Should have used the full name...

Lowrance AirMap 1000 GPS

My bad..

Dave

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 18:54:43 -0700, "Tom Sixkiller"
wrote:

What's an AM1000?

.. .

Old March 28th 04, 03:04 PM

Hi Joe!

TY for your comments..

We shopped awful hard, and this is the choice, time will tell
if we were correct, but early indications are that we are going to
have to come up with a HUGE disappointment somewhere in this unit to
reverse our initial impressions.

We gona test fly it today.. a litle gusty.. but we gotta play
with this!

And , yes, I did read the whole book...

Dave

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 21:21:12 -0600, "JJS" jschneider@REMOVE
SOCKSpldi.net wrote:

[...]

.. .

Old March 30th 04, 02:41 AM

OK, flight test!!

It simply did all that it was supposed to do....well.

Love the big screen!

Contrast was good, readable on a bright , sunny day..

External antenna velcro'ed the cowl, port side (away from)
compass, just behind defroster outlet. We had over 60% on all 12 sats
at the times we checked.

The HSI responded quickly, VSI was a little behind the panel
unit .........maybe a couple of seconds...

The RAM mount worked perfectly and held the unit rigidly..

The dual screen options are great...

We will need the book for awhile... but the instructions
are clear and well done..

Joe's comment..

BTW, my favorite airborne navigation display
is the one that combines the map and vertical altitude and airspeed
and vsi ribbons.

.....had a LOT of merit, we settled on that choice as well,
2nd choice is the HSI MAP dual screen page...

We happy campers so far!

Dave

SOCKSpldi.net wrote:

[...]

. ..