Parachute advice

Old January 3rd 04, 03:28 PM
Clive Hadley

Default Parachute advice

Can someone provide me with advice on buying a comfortable
parachute?
I suffer from a long back and therefore have difficulty
in getting
low down in the glider.
This also leads me to ask if any one has got any good
advice on where to buy one?

Many thanks for your time

Old January 3rd 04, 03:42 PM
Don Johnstone

The most confortable parachute I have worn is the Irvin/GQ
EB series closely followed by the Strong. I too have
a long back and a short cockpit (ASW17- why are Scheilcher
cockpits short?) and the EB84 I have is very very comfortable.
The only parachute to beat the EB84 for comfort was
the EB68 as issued to the Air Cadets originally (Pink)
as they were wider and slightly flatter, but these
are now near or past their service life. For discomfort
the Thomas takes some beating.
There is a man who works for Irvin\GQ who makes and
supplies EB like chutes which are just as good as the
real thing. The name escapes me but someone on here
will remember.

Old January 3rd 04, 05:11 PM
Burt Compton

Clive, I see you are in the UK, but one of the nice aspects of our SSA
Convention in Atlanta, Georgia February 4-7 is the opportunity to try on the
different brands of parachutes. Since there are dozens of gliders on display
in the hall, you might sit in a glider cockpit with the parachute on to check
the fit. Perhaps you can visit EAA Sun 'n Fun in Florida in April, AirVenture
Oshkosh in July 2004, or a similar aviation convention in Europe.

I tried them all. I use and recommend Strong Parachutes from Orlando, Florida.
(Nice reason to visit Florida this winter!) Try the Model 303. Talk with Bob
Gilmour:

Burt Compton
Marfa Gliders, west Texas
www.flygliders.com
Old January 3rd 04, 10:29 PM
Mike Borgelt

On 3 Jan 2004 15:28:13 GMT, Clive Hadley
wrote:

Can someone provide me with advice on buying a comfortable
parachute?
I suffer from a long back and therefore have difficulty
in getting
low down in the glider.
This also leads me to ask if any one has got any good
advice on where to buy one?

Many thanks for your time

Try a National back pack from National Parachutes in N.J., USA
www.nationalparachute.com

Tim Mara is a dealer I believe in the US.

We've sold a bunch of these in Australia and nobody complains about
comfort. I discovered these during a 3 hour flight in Bill Bartell's
glider at Hemet in 1988 when after 3 hours I realised I wasn't aware I
was wearing a parachute.

You want a backpack so as to minimise the cushion size under you.

Mike Borgelt
Old January 4th 04, 02:29 AM
Shawn Curry

wrote:

Can someone provide me with advice on buying a comfortable
parachute?
I suffer from a long back and therefore have difficulty
in getting
low down in the glider.
This also leads me to ask if any one has got any good
advice on where to buy one?

Many thanks for your time

Try a National back pack from National Parachutes in N.J., USA
www.nationalparachute.com

Tim Mara is a dealer I believe in the US.

We've sold a bunch of these in Australia and nobody complains about
comfort. I discovered these during a 3 hour flight in Bill Bartell's
glider at Hemet in 1988 when after 3 hours I realised I wasn't aware I
was wearing a parachute.

You want a backpack so as to minimise the cushion size under you.

Mike Borgelt

Can't help you with size (I'm 5'7"). But I agree with Mike. Nationals
are very comfortable. I had one when I was part of a syndicate, and
bought one when I got my own ship.

Shawn