Kobo vs Nook

Old September 24th 19, 06:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK

Default Kobo vs Nook

I have been running a Kobo Glo for three seasons now and for the most part I'm happy with it. The one problem I had encountered a few times when down low in the heat, the screen tends to fade out but so far every time it recovered-no problem it had never crashed.
I just wondered if anyone experienced the same and if there is a cure.
Also how does the Nook compare to the Kobo, would be interesting to know.
Old September 24th 19, 08:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Hirst

I used Kobo Minis for a while and had several with 'screen fade' issues. It seems to be a manufacturing batch issue; some I had were just fine and others were hopeless from day 1. Others I've spoken to had no problems ever, but I note that none of them were here in NZ (we often seem to get sent the tail end of the quality bell-curve). If you've got one that works, even if it fades intermittently, then stick with it. I have no experience with the Nook.

I ultimately got fed up with replacing Kobos and went for an Onyx Boox - Android e-ink with WiFi and a proper touch screen (so it still keeps working in strong sunlight). They've put some effort into improving image quality and reducing ghosting, and I've never had a problem with it after three seasons.

DH
TX

Old September 24th 19, 10:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, September 24, 2019 at 1:06:17 PM UTC-4, 6PK wrote:
I have been running a Kobo Glo for three seasons now and for the most part I'm happy with it. The one problem I had encountered a few times when down low in the heat, the screen tends to fade out but so far every time it recovered-no problem it had never crashed.
I just wondered if anyone experienced the same and if there is a cure.
Also how does the Nook compare to the Kobo, would be interesting to know.

I've used several Nooks for several years. Never a problem with screen fading, but I had some reliability issued with Nooks' touch sensitivity. Not sure how hot your Kobo got, but we had hot sunny weather at the USA Region 1 contest last year, about 95 degrees F, even hotter in the cockpit waiting on the grid ("griddling"), although I shaded the instrument panel. The GPS I then used (cheap serial module, which I grafted onto the Nook) stopped working until it cooled off at altitude, but the Nook worked fine.
Old September 25th 19, 12:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK

On Tuesday, September 24, 2019 at 12:16:16 PM UTC-7, David Hirst wrote:
I used Kobo Minis for a while and had several with 'screen fade' issues. It seems to be a manufacturing batch issue; some I had were just fine and others were hopeless from day 1. Others I've spoken to had no problems ever, but I note that none of them were here in NZ (we often seem to get sent the tail end of the quality bell-curve). If you've got one that works, even if it fades intermittently, then stick with it. I have no experience with the Nook.

I ultimately got fed up with replacing Kobos and went for an Onyx Boox - Android e-ink with WiFi and a proper touch screen (so it still keeps working in strong sunlight). They've put some effort into improving image quality and reducing ghosting, and I've never had a problem with it after three seasons.

DH
TX

snip;
"I ultimately got fed up with replacing Kobos and went for an Onyx Boox - Android e-ink with WiFi and a proper touch screen "
Excuse my ignorance but I have never heard of this device. If you could elaborate on it a little it would be helpful. Works as any Android device with WiFi only connection (gps or flight computer) or could it be Bluetooth, "proper touch screen" ?
Looked it up on the internet kind of expensive but if it works???
Old September 25th 19, 04:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt McBee

You can buy an IR-rejection frame for the Kobo Mini here.

https://i.materialise.com/en/shop/it...-for-kobo-mini

(I have no affiliation with this company and do not own this product).

Matt
Old September 25th 19, 04:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK

I'm aware of this device, unfortunately its available for the Glo
Old September 25th 19, 04:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK

Sorry,correction I meant not available:-)
Old September 26th 19, 01:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Turkey Vulture

I've used Kobo's for navigation since 2013. I had two Kobo's before moving to a Kobo Glow. My first two Kobo's suffered from sun/heat fade. The second one being so bad I decided I had to upgrade. My newer Kobo glow does much better although suffers some fade too. It has a larger footprint than the original Kobo for better or worse.

I use an OTC USB cable to my S100 with good success. The mini USB has worn out after about 30 flights. The connection is now loose and creates issues requiring wiggling. I have a BlueFly vario hardwired for backup and that works without issue. The touchscreens have always been reliable for me

I highly recommend the Kobo Glo with Top Hat Soaring. The sunlight readable screen is unmatched. You can find Preloaded Kobo's with GPS and XCSoar on eBay.
Old September 26th 19, 08:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Hirst

snip;
"I ultimately got fed up with replacing Kobos and went for an Onyx Boox - Android e-ink with WiFi and a proper touch screen "
Excuse my ignorance but I have never heard of this device. If you could elaborate on it a little it would be helpful. Works as any Android device with WiFi only connection (gps or flight computer) or could it be Bluetooth, "proper touch screen" ?
Looked it up on the internet kind of expensive but if it works???

(Copied from other thread) I'm using the C67ML Carta+

Here's one for sale:
https://www.amazon.com/Android-Scree.../dp/B072LW7DM7

Official specs here, although their base model is now the Carta2:
https://www.boox.com/boox-c67/

I only used WiFi to download XCSoar. In flight it's hard-wired through its USB connection to a IOIO box, but you could use WiFi on a local network. As it uses an Android OS, there is no need to re-flash its firmware.

The Kobo uses an infrared "touch"screen, that side-illuminates the surface of the screen and detects any shadows from your finger. It's a nice idea but can freeze temporarily in strong sunlight (that overwhelms the IR detectors. The Boox uses good ol' capacitive touch instead.

DH

Old September 26th 19, 08:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK

That is great David, thank you.
One more question; do you know if other than IOIO is it bluetooth or WiFi connectable to another device (flight computer, Flarm, etc)?

Kobo with Cambridge 302 [email protected] Soaring 6 September 1st 15 01:01 AM
Color Kobo Dan Marotta Soaring 3 October 25th 14 11:10 PM
Using the Nook as a navigation instrument Nyal Williams[_3_] Soaring 1 September 5th 14 09:10 PM
New NOOK Simple Touch for XCSoar! [email protected] Soaring 4 November 26th 12 05:50 PM
Using a nook for xcsoar folken Soaring 38 October 21st 12 05:56 PM