SeeYou incorrect waypoint altitudes

Old February 1st 20, 03:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
soaringjac

Default SeeYou incorrect waypoint altitudes

Just started using seeyou for the first time. I created some waypoints in seeyou and noticed the altitude shown for some of the waypoints are way off. I double checked the exact same point in Google earth and the difference is about 1000'. This isn't the case for all custom waypoints I made, but it is true for most of them. How are you guys creating accurate waypoints and waypoint altitudes. Kind of crazy that seeyou is so off!
Old February 1st 20, 08:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Ruskin[_2_]

=
is true for most of them. How are you guys creating accurate

waypoints and
=
waypoint altitudes. Kind of crazy that seeyou is so off!

Are you getting confused between metres and feet? See you will work
in either and will convert between them.

Paul

Old February 1st 20, 03:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi,

I suspect that one of 2 things is happening.
- You may be using a bad turnpoint database. I recommend the data found he
http://cumulus-soaring.com/seeyou.htm#Downloads
- If you are viewing a flight log, SeeYou can automatically use the take-off and landing elevations and the SeeYou ground elevation database to offset all the flight log points to account for barometric pressure changes. It is a very nice feature.

You may want to check-out my SeeYou Tips document.
http://cumulus-soaring.com/seeyou/SeeYou-Tips.pdf

Best Regards,

Paul Remde

Old February 1st 20, 03:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
soaringjac

On Saturday, February 1, 2020 at 1:00:05 AM UTC-8, Paul Ruskin wrote:
[...]

its definitely showing me feet
Old February 1st 20, 03:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
soaringjac

On Saturday, February 1, 2020 at 7:14:46 AM UTC-8, Paul Remde wrote:
[...]

Thanks Paul! I am not using any turnpoint database and not viewing any flight log. I am just trying to mark some local landmarks as waypoints to put into my S100 vario. Im going to play around with it a bit more and see if i can figure out whats going on, but to me it seems like the see your elevations are not accurate. I guess i can always create the waypoints and then edit their altitudes based on the alt i get from google earth, which kind of sucks
Old February 1st 20, 03:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

soaringjac wrote on 1/31/2020 7:59 PM:
Just started using seeyou for the first time. I created some waypoints in seeyou and noticed the altitude shown for some of the waypoints are way off. I double checked the exact same point in Google earth and the difference is about 1000'. This isn't the case for all custom waypoints I made, but it is true for most of them. How are you guys creating accurate waypoints and waypoint altitudes. Kind of crazy that seeyou is so off!

For what purpose will you use the waypoints? If it's for task planning, the
correct elevation doesn't matter; if it's for potential landing places, you should
not depend on SeeYou, but on a more accurate source. SeeYou is a flight planning
tool, and it's your flight computer that needs elevation accuracy. I use official
databases as my first choice; for landing places not in the official databases, I
use databases from pilots I trust, sometimes from Google, perhaps topographic
maps. I also plan to arrive higher at those landing places, partly because the
elevation may not be known as accurately as airports on the charts.

Old February 1st 20, 05:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Sat, 01 Feb 2020 07:38:03 -0800, soaringjac wrote:

[...]

Post one of the problematic turnpoints here so we can see what might be
wrong. CUP files are just plaintext, so almost any program that can
display a text file can display it for cut'n pasting - even Word.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Old February 1st 20, 07:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Friday, January 31, 2020 at 7:59:13 PM UTC-8, soaringjac wrote:
Just started using seeyou for the first time. I created some waypoints in seeyou and noticed the altitude shown for some of the waypoints are way off. I double checked the exact same point in Google earth and the difference is about 1000'. This isn't the case for all custom waypoints I made, but it is true for most of them. How are you guys creating accurate waypoints and waypoint altitudes. Kind of crazy that seeyou is so off!

Describing exactly wha you are doing and providing sample data will help you get useful help.

Are you using SeeYou Windows app, SeeYou Mobile or SeeYou cloud?

How exactly are you creating a waypoint and how exactly are you looking at its elevation? If say you are looking at stuff in SeeYou Mobile then it may be you are getting confused with waypoint elevation, arrival height, etc.

Assuming you are using SeeYou Windows app as you move the cursor around you should see the elevation shown in the lower window border next to the cursor latitude and longitude, that changing display gives you an idea of the elevation data resolution. Elevation data is only useful within that resolution, if you are trying to pick super fine resolution elevation features it's not going to work. And pragmatically for anything important people usually hand-edit waypoint files, including elevation if needed.

If your SeeYou is not or has not been connected online I imagine it's possible that SeeYou has not downloaded the elevation data (I assume it's still downloading NASA elevation data, even that is a bit more hidden than it used to be).

Old February 2nd 20, 03:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Friday, January 31, 2020 at 10:59:13 PM UTC-5, soaringjac wrote:
Just started using seeyou for the first time. I created some waypoints in seeyou and noticed the altitude shown for some of the waypoints are way off. I double checked the exact same point in Google earth and the difference is about 1000'. This isn't the case for all custom waypoints I made, but it is true for most of them. How are you guys creating accurate waypoints and waypoint altitudes. Kind of crazy that seeyou is so off!

I use https://viewer.nationalmap.gov/basic/ for accurate elevation data.

I used SeeYou 4 for a number of years and it worked pretty well in this regard. More recent versions... not so much. Ridge top waypoints created in SeeYou always have elevations lower than actual. I have seen errors as large as 600'.

Evan Ludeman / T8
Old February 2nd 20, 04:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
soaringjac

On Saturday, February 1, 2020 at 7:48:36 AM UTC-8, Eric Greenwell wrote:
[...]

Just adding a couple local landmarks to my S100, mainly going to use to see if I have glide to the various waypoints. Not doing any XC or competition stuff. I might try some databases but it seems a bit overkill for now. I just want a couple local landmarks.