Crossing a stepdown fix high

Old October 19th 03, 02:33 PM

David Megginson wrote:

Greg Esres writes:

To comment that "if they fly the approach as published, they won't hit
anything" is a very shallow analysis. Not every CFIT deviated
intentionally from the published approach.

The other question is what "as published" means for an NPA -- do you
make a vertical descent at every stepdown fix? The whole point of an
NPA is that there is no vertical profile published, only a series of
minimum altitudes.

Very well stated.

Old October 19th 03, 06:33 PM
Tim J

I was not advocating "dive and drive", whatever that means. The point I was
trying to make was that why stay above the published heights intentionally.
My comment about "get down as fast as possible" is perhaps overzealous and
was not meant to advocate go down really fast, but rather I meant get down
to the published altitude, and not stay above it purposely.

The protection is the same. If pilots can't stop a descent whether going
1000' per minute of 300' per minute is the real issue. Something else is
wrong if the "safer" rate of descent is going to save you. Correcting the
real problem is the solution, not making up rules for hiding the problem or
adding a safety net.

Busting the stepdown fixes is the problem - not the descent rate.

I will concede that the net effect of slower descent rates would be less
accidents, however I am more concerned that pilots use that as a crutch
rather than ensuring they execute approaches appropriately (not descending
below minimums).

wrote in message

Tim J wrote:

So what are you saying? The approach chart is/was wrong or the pilots

made
an error?

The pilots made an error under lots of pressure and adverse weather

conditions.
The list of fatal accident reports where stepdown fixes are busted in G/A

during
IMC is a very long list indeed.

The protection offerred by dive-and-drive is substantially less than with

constant angle or even a constant rate descent.

I guess this word hasn't gotten very far in the light aircraft world.

Old October 19th 03, 06:34 PM
Tim J

Again, I am not advocating "dive and drive" - my point was that staying
above the published altitudes was questionable.

wrote in message

Tim J wrote:

I was just trying to point out the obstacle clearances that the approach
charts provide.

I would like to see an accident report that found that the approach

chart
was incorrect and caused a crash. Does anyone have an example?

I think rather it is the (improper) execution of the approach that is

the
cause of the supposed huge set of examples of crashes. If you all find

it
easier to make up your own descent profiles, go right ahead. I will not

try
to convince you otherwise. I will continue to fly them as published.

What makes you think "as published" means dive and drive any more than it

means
constant angle or constant rate?

Old October 19th 03, 06:39 PM
Tim J

It really does not matter if the CFIT deviated intentionally or not. Most
likely if CFIT implies that they descended below the minimum published
altitudes for that segment.

Perhaps I am wrong (as so many of you are pointing out)
but if I make a descent rate to arrive at a step down higher than published,
it seems as though my descent rate has a good chance to not get me to the
MDA when the time is up (or distance) and I have to go missed. So
eventually I would have to do the dreaded "dive and drive" later anyway.

Old October 19th 03, 08:09 PM
Ray Andraka

Do restrict your altitude to the MEAs enroute too? The stepdowns depict the
minimum altitudes for each segment of the approach. There is nothing regulatory
about flying at those minimums. What you are advocating is what others have
called 'dive and drive', ie decending quickly at each crossing then leveling at
the mda for that segment until hitting the next stepdown fix. This certainly
does increase the workload (you have less time to react to the altitude if it is
decreasing at 1000 fpm instead of 3-500 fpm), as well as the consequences for
being a little bit behind the airplane. It also gives you fewer options
(altitude) should the engine start coughing. Just from the ergonomics
standpoint, it is more stressful to you and your passengers, not to mention to
the engine (shock cooling) and airframe. Most of the time, you've got plenty of
room between the fixes to do a gentle descent and still get you at the final MDA
in plenty of time to find the airport.

--
--Ray Andraka, P.E.
401/884-7930 Fax 401/884-7950

-Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Old October 19th 03, 09:55 PM
John R. Copeland

It's probably about time for someone to bring up the Aspen approach =
again.
Be a little high and/or fast there, and you won't get down in time to =
land.
---JRC---

Old October 20th 03, 12:08 AM
Stan Gosnell

"Tim J" wrote in
. net:

Again, I am not advocating "dive and drive" - my point was
that staying above the published altitudes was
questionable.

I'm beginning to think your judgment is questionable. The
stepdown fixes give only minimum altitudes, no maximum. That
means you can't go below, but can safely and legally be above,
the altitude. There is no requirement at all to be at a
stepdown altitude immediately, unless there is a line *above*
the altitude.

--
Regards,

Stan
Old October 20th 03, 12:12 AM
Stan Gosnell

"John R. Copeland" wrote in
:

It's probably about time for someone to bring up the Aspen
approach again. Be a little high and/or fast there, and you
won't get down in time to land. ---JRC---

I haven't flown that approach, but I've studied the approach
plate. The stepdown fixes aren't that much - you don't have to
hurry, because there isn't that much altitude change. The big
change is the final descent, after the stepdown fixes, and if
you get too low or a little off course, you'll land much more
quickly than you intended.

--
Regards,

Stan
Old October 20th 03, 01:47 AM
John R. Copeland

"Stan Gosnell" me@work wrote in message =
"John R. Copeland" wrote in
:=20
=20
It's probably about time for someone to bring up the Aspen
approach again. Be a little high and/or fast there, and you
won't get down in time to land. ---JRC---

=20
I haven't flown that approach, but I've studied the approach=20
plate. The stepdown fixes aren't that much - you don't have to=20
hurry, because there isn't that much altitude change. The big=20
change is the final descent, after the stepdown fixes, and if=20
you get too low or a little off course, you'll land much more=20
quickly than you intended.
=20
--=20
Regards,
=20
Stan

Roger that, too, Stan! My wife dislikes that valley.
BTW, Aspen approach is pretty understanding if you tell them
you need to make a 360 to lose some altitude after you get the field in =
sight.
(Of course, we're talking fixed-wing performance here.)
---JRC---

Old October 20th 03, 12:14 PM
Eclipsme

"Tim J" wrote in message
. net...
[...]

Whoa! I had to get in here on this one... A crutch? Using something that
will result in less accidents is a crutch? I think NOT! A stabilized
approach will always be safer than step-downs.

Just my 2cents. I'll sit back down now.

Harvey