StrikeFinder Problem

Old July 17th 07, 03:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jonathan Goodish

Default StrikeFinder Problem

I had an Insight StrikeFinder installed several years ago, and it always
worked well, detecting nearly zero electrical interference from the
aircraft in flight. The StrikeFinder is on a push-pull breaker, and
over the winter I normally kept it unpowered, primarily because I didn't
need it, but also because of concerns with the life of the gas plasma
display (Insight has since told me that not powering the unit could be
worse for the display than having it lit continuously.)

In any case, I've now started to power the unit in flight again, and it
is painting a solid line directly off the nose of the aircraft almost
immediately. Clear the display, and the line comes back within a minute
or two.

About 6 months ago, I had my alternator replaced with an overhauled unit
to cure alternator whine through the audio system, and that plan mostly
worked. This is the only change to the electrical system that I've
made, and given the location of the noise the StrikeFinder is painting,
I'm guessing that's the problem. During the alternator replacement,
there was a new grounding strap fabricated and applied between the
alternator and the engine. The alternator has a new filter cap on the
output, shunted to ground on the alternator case. As a mentioned, this
alternator basically cleaned up the audible whine that I had with my
previous unit, which did not cause electrical interference with the
StrikeFinder (but did produce an annoying whine in the audio system).

Insight is telling me that the only solution to my problem, if it is the
alternator, is to replace the alternator. Needless to say, I don't want
to keep swapping alternators endlessly. Does anyone have any experience
or suggestions?

Thanks,
JKG
Old July 17th 07, 04:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dave[_16_]

Jonathan Goodish wrote:
[...]

Why not disable your alternator and see what the strikefinder shows?

Does it do it on the ground with the engine off?

It could be other pieces of equipment that may be causing this problem.
Have you tried to shut everything else off and leave only the
Strikefinder on?

Old July 17th 07, 06:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Montblack

("Dave" wrote)
Have you tried to shut everything else off and leave only the Strikefinder
on?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJFBuJu97kw
Maybe.... The Final Countdown (1980) storm is following him around.

It's either that or a ground somewhere. Why an iffy ground as culprit?

It's all I know how to do when diagnosing electrical problems. Plus, on
these groups, that solution has recorded a 63% success rate.

Paul-Mont

Old July 17th 07, 08:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
RST Engineering

Have you ever seen an arc welder when the ground lead isn't making good
contact? There is as much arcing at the ground clip as at the work rod.
Think of it as one continuous little tiny lightning bolt at close proximity
to the antenna. Since signals drop off as the square of the distance, and
figuring that the ground arc is about five or six feet (let's say six) from
the antenna and the Strikefinder has a range of somewhere around 200 miles,
we can say that the ratio of six feet to 200 miles is about 176,000:1.
176,000^2 is somewhere around 31 BILLION:1, so to produce a readable signal,
that arc only has to be one 31 billionth as strong as a lightning bolt which
ain't a difficult thing to do.

k?

Jim

It's either that or a ground somewhere. Why an iffy ground as culprit?

Old July 17th 07, 08:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Montblack

("RST Engineering" wrote)
....so to produce a readable signal, that arc only has to be one 31
billionth as strong as a lightning bolt which ain't a difficult thing to
do.

http://www.answers.com/topic/ernststavroblofeld-jpg
So no more silk suits and cats in the cockpit. Problem solved.

(NAC) Necessary Aviation Content ....movie poster
http://www.answers.com/topic/007yoltposter-jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/norfolk/your/ex...you_only.shtml
More fun from the movie

http://www.rotaryaction.com/y.html