CFI-G Check Ride

Old August 27th 06, 04:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Slick

Default CFI-G Check Ride

Any last words of wisdom for the initial glider CFI applicant?

Old August 27th 06, 04:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bullwinkle

It all depends on your examiner, at your airfield. I'm sure lots of folks
will answer your question with a lot of local knowledge ("My DPE or FSDO
examiner did it this way, and was really interested in .... [Pick a
topic]."), or grossly outdated, and thus useless, info ("When I took my
initial CFIG ride in 1976....")

Assuming you know your stuff, and have gone through the PTS in minute
detail, with one or more CFIG's, then the only useful intel you should be
gathering will come from folks who have taken practical tests from your
examiner. They each have their favorite topics, favorite emergency
procedures, and favorite items of emphasis. Knowing what they are for your
examiner can give you a slight, but real, advantage. The only way to find
that out is to get reports from prior examinees.

If you're willing to share your location or DPE's name, perhaps you'll get a
useful tidbit or two.

Best of luck on your practical test!
Bullwinkle

On 8/26/06 9:33 PM, in article ,
"Slick" wrote:

Any last words of wisdom for the initial glider CFI applicant?

News==----
Newsgroups

Old August 27th 06, 12:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Slick

Jim Stokes from Columbus, Ohio. Unfortunately we're in an odd situation here
in the Cleveland region. We have no glider examiners associated with
Cleveland FSDO, so we have to outsource to Columbus. That usually gets us
another examiner for CFI-G, but I'm a special case. I'm an initial CFI and
that requires the Feds to issue the exam. So because of all that, no one has
ever taken a ride with him from our club.

=----

Old August 27th 06, 01:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bullwinkle

Slick,

No knowledge of Mr Stokes (I'm in Colorado).

In general, based on 25+ years of watching this process, FSDO/FAA employees
are generally more competent with (and thus focus on) rules, regulations,
and procedure. The oral focusing on the FAR's and AIM, in other words.

They are generally weaker on the actual maneuvers and airwork (there are
exceptions to this, obviously). This is often because gliders are a sideline
to them: an "other duty as assigned" in the parlance of Federal Job
Descriptions.

Don't know if any of this applies to Mr Stokes.

As an aside, certain DPE's are allowed to issue initial CFI's. They have to
be specifically designated for this, and they have to do so many per year to
keep that authority. Your FSDO may simply not allow any of their DPE's to
issue initial CFI's, but other FSDO/regions do (such as ours).

Again, best of luck,
Bullwinkle

,

Old August 27th 06, 04:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Vaughn Simon

"Slick" wrote in message
Any last words of wisdom for the initial glider CFI applicant?

Don't forget to bring your library for your oral. They don't expect you to
have the correct answer to every possible question in your head, but they sure
expect you to know where to find it. A few strategic tabs in your FARAIM are a
great idea. By the way. I really HATE throwing out my FARAIM every year just
for that reason, lots of good tabs and notes and highlighting go out with it
and are forever lost.

Vaughn (CFIG)

Old August 27th 06, 06:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BTIZ

I really HATE throwing out my FARAIM every year just for that reason,
lots of good tabs and notes and highlighting go out with it and are
forever lost.

Vaughn (CFIG)

My tabs are removable.. normally yellow sticky notes with other cross
references written on them, an evening with the new FAR/AIM, to transfer the
tabs and rewrite some notes is all it takes

BT

Old August 28th 06, 02:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

In general I think you will find the process a good one. CFI
candidates are normally treated as professionals--and be certain you
act as a professional. Especially if the examiner is a fed dress for
the ocassion--don't need to over do it, but look good. The examiner
will not expect you to know all of the details of flying and the regs.
If you are not certain tell him/her that you want to refresh your
memory by checking the FARS/AIM, etc. That is what they want to see.
Have a good understanding of the regs--and endorsements!
Finally--LISTEN to the examiner. Often if you are straying on a topic
he/she will try to guide you--take the hint!

Good luck--

Skip Guimond

Passed Instrument Check Ride Saturday Night xyzzy Owning 1 April 29th 05 07:29 PM
Passed Instrument Check Ride Saturday Night xyzzy Piloting 0 April 29th 05 04:58 PM
Passed Instrument Check Ride Saturday Night xyzzy Piloting 0 April 29th 05 04:19 PM
Check Valve Repair? Larry Home Built 1 April 15th 05 06:32 AM
Glider Ride - Gift Michael Owning 0 December 7th 04 12:37 AM