RAN to get new LSD class vessel to replace 5 logistic vessels ...

Old October 28th 03, 01:32 PM
Aerophotos

Default RAN to get new LSD class vessel to replace 5 logistic vessels ...

Gday folks

I found this tonight...maybe of interest to some..

http://smh.com.au/articles/2003/10/2...233172499.html

To replace logistic fleet...

HMAS Tobruk,
HMAS Manoora,
HMAS Kanimbla,
HMAS Westralia,
HMAS Success.

Where awill they go after been decomissioned? tourism? scrap metal?

Im sure we just brought a few of them in last 5-10yrs anyway...?

A big waste of our tax money?

Ta

IMJ
Old October 28th 03, 10:43 PM
Pits

good day yourself you cretinous worm

Why post to Aus aviation and not Aus Defence?
Because your lies got a thrashing in there ?
Hows that AIR Force Career Going ?
ROFLOL

Now to the article
Seems a logical idea this end .

Old October 29th 03, 06:01 AM
Sunny

Air Force hasn't taught you to read and understand content yet?
The ship under discussion is not a logistic/supply vessel and is not a
replacement for the ships you list.
It is the type of ship utilized by US Marines.

Old October 29th 03, 07:20 AM
David Bromage

Sunny wrote:
Air Force hasn't taught you to read and understand content yet?
The ship under discussion is not a logistic/supply vessel and is not a
replacement for the ships you list.

Yes it is.

"And they can be used for the more straightforward task of replenishing
fuel, food and ammunition."

Cheers
David

Old October 29th 03, 07:41 AM
Sunny

That's not the way the reference reads, the "replacement" of the five
vessels are hinted to at the bottom of the article.
(We will still require tankers and re-supply ship capability)
The media forgot to mention the Sydney with the Melbourne, as well :-)

"David Bromage" wrote in message
.. .

Old October 29th 03, 08:31 AM
Tony

my best mate is an officer on the tobruk. they refer to it as the
`tobroken`, so im guessing they wont be losing anything there...
by the way fella, hows the airforce ?? i just got accepted myself
actually......

Old October 29th 03, 08:37 AM
Ian Godfrey

thats what all this multi role littoral support ship is about

tanker/transport/amphibious assault/mini carrier

http://navyleag.customer.netspace.net.au/fc_07ap.htm
http://www.newsweekly.com.au/article...un02_navy.html

Old October 29th 03, 08:52 AM
David Bromage

Sunny wrote:
That's not the way the reference reads, the "replacement" of the five
vessels are hinted to at the bottom of the article.
(We will still require tankers and re-supply ship capability)

The whole idea of the LSS is that a single type would replace Tobruk,
Manoora, Kanimbla, Westralia and Success.

"the navy prepared a report on a ship that would be a combined troop
transport, tanker, supply vessel, command centre and hospital ... there
are claims that four of them would be cheaper than replacing the
existing three troop carriers and two supply ships when they reach the
end of their useful lives in about 10 years."
- Sydney Morning Herald 24/10/00.

The media forgot to mention the Sydney with the Melbourne, as well :-)

Most people forget Sydney.

Cheers
David

Old October 30th 03, 06:04 AM
David Bromage

Sunny wrote:
That's not the way the reference reads, the "replacement" of the five
vessels are hinted to at the bottom of the article.
(We will still require tankers and re-supply ship capability)

An engineer I know who recently retired from Department of Defence
worked on the LSS study. He told me this morning they were quite
definately to do replenishment and supply as well as carry a battaliion
of troops, helos and LCMs.

Aside: In the first version of the LSS study they even proposed flying
F/A-18s off them. Using the US Navy ski jump tests of the F/A-18A in the
late 80s they decided that they could operate the Hornets off a 226m
flight deck (only 14m longer than the Melbourne). This was later dropped
because if Aus was to get the JSF it was unlikely to be the CTOL or
STOVL version so the fast jet capability would end with the Hornet.

Cheers
David

Old November 3rd 03, 11:10 PM
Brash

Did you fail 1RTU?

--
Bob Brown is living proof that just as youth is wasted on the young, free
speech is frequently wasted on the vocal.