Controlled flight into glass

Old January 11th 07, 09:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John

Default Controlled flight into glass

Great article from The Onion...Writer has to be a pilot or someone
connected with aviation....

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/50901

John

Old January 11th 07, 12:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On 11 Jan 2007 01:03:33 -0800, "John" wrote in
.com:

Great article from The Onion...

What lead you to characterize this tripe as "great"?

Writer has to be a pilot or someone connected with aviation....

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/50901

"Of course it's scary, but I'm not going to stop flying because of
it," sparrow Darryl Beardsley said, echoing the apparent sentiment
of millions of other sparrows worldwide. "I guess it's just my
nature."

I'm an admirer of good satirical humor, but this thinly disguised
piece aimed at denigrating airmen is not funny. Rather it attempts to
unapologetically ridicule airmen in the eyes of the lay public without
any redeeming merit.

Old January 11th 07, 12:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kevin Clarke

Larry Dighera wrote:

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/50901

"Of course it's scary, but I'm not going to stop flying because of
it," sparrow Darryl Beardsley said, echoing the apparent sentiment
of millions of other sparrows worldwide. "I guess it's just my
nature."

I'm an admirer of good satirical humor, but this thinly disguised
piece aimed at denigrating airmen is not funny. Rather it attempts to
unapologetically ridicule airmen in the eyes of the lay public without
any redeeming merit.

Aww c'mon Larry. It is the Onion. This is what they do. I didn't take it
that they were denigrating airmen at all. You can't really enjoy
laughing at others if you can't laugh at yourself first.

I thought it was a nice little bit of irony and satire.

KC
Old January 11th 07, 12:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 12:27:57 GMT, Kevin Clarke
wrote in . net:

Larry Dighera wrote:

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/50901

"Of course it's scary, but I'm not going to stop flying because of
it," sparrow Darryl Beardsley said, echoing the apparent sentiment
of millions of other sparrows worldwide. "I guess it's just my
nature."

I'm an admirer of good satirical humor, but this thinly disguised
piece aimed at denigrating airmen is not funny. Rather it attempts to
unapologetically ridicule airmen in the eyes of the lay public without
any redeeming merit.

Aww c'mon Larry. It is the Onion. This is what they do. I didn't take it
that they were denigrating airmen at all. You can't really enjoy
laughing at others if you can't laugh at yourself first.

I thought it was a nice little bit of irony and satire.

I found the piece to be a sophomoric satirical attempt devoid of any
redeeming merit, let alone humor, regardless of it's implicit message.

Old January 11th 07, 01:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Walt

wrote in . net:

Larry Dighera wrote:

[...]

As was said before, it's the Onion. I thought it was funny.

--Walt

Old January 11th 07, 01:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bill Watson

Well said. But it was funny.

Boink, there goes number 1 for the day. I wonder if we kill more with
our feeders than we feed.

Old January 11th 07, 01:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On 11 Jan 2007 05:01:53 -0800, "Walt" wrote in
.com:

I found the piece to be a sophomoric satirical attempt devoid of any
redeeming merit, let alone humor, regardless of it's implicit message.

As was said before, it's the Onion. I thought it was funny.

(It's curious, that the author of the article didn't think enough of
his work to provide a byline.)

Our tastes and expectations differ.

As a child, I grew up in the company of my uncle Myron Roberts and his
cronies. Uncle Mike was a Stars And Stripes journalist during WW-II.
After the war, he started several small newspapers (The Manhattan
Beach Tide comes to mind), magazines (LA Magazine), taught English,
wrote books, became a university professor of literature (UCI), wrote
speeches for propitiations (Anderson), and knew how to write biting
satirical pieces (The Begatting of a President (q.v.) was a scathing
satire in the style of King James ridiculing Nixon). You'll find it
quoted all over the Internet:

"Now the Lord God planted a garden East of Whittier in a place
called Yorba Linda, and out of the ground he made to grow orange
trees that were good for food and the fruits thereof he labeled
SUNKIST ..."
-- "The Begatting of a President"

Orson Wells even recorded and broadcast it.

It was always entertaining when uncle Mike and Sasha and Lincoln were
present at family functions.

So I guess, as usual, I expect too much from my fellow man.

Oh well ...
Old January 11th 07, 02:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 13:45:00 GMT, Larry Dighera

propitiations = politicians

Old January 11th 07, 03:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
tom

John wrote:
Great article from The Onion...Writer has to be a pilot or someone
connected with aviation....
http://www.theonion.com/content/node/50901
John

No wonder the poor bird crashed. He must have been grossly fatigued
from flying 60000 hours in only two years. What is that, roughly
triple time?

tom

Old January 11th 07, 04:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On 11 Jan 2007 07:31:26 -0800, "tom" wrote in
. com:

No wonder the poor bird crashed. He must have been grossly fatigued
from flying 60000 hours in only two years. What is that, roughly
triple time?

3.4246575342465753424657534246575 times (depending on the effect of a
possible leap year) :-)

Perhaps the anonymous author of the article will share his
time-machine with his readership in a future article.