Nosegear collapse repair strategy: what else?

Old July 9th 03, 09:13 PM
Jeff Osier-Mixon

Default Nosegear collapse repair strategy: what else?

While the engine is being torn down and inspected after our nosegear
collapse and subsequent prop strike, I am taking the opportunity to ride
on the insurance company's labor bill by having the mechanic install
some new parts. I am open to suggestions as to other items to consider,
though my budget is getting weary---I bought this plane 4 days before it
broke.

The prop strike tear-down includes all new bearings, seals, a new vacuum
pump, and inspection of all steel items---crankcase, crankshaft, etc.
This obviously includes engine disassembly.

For reassembly I am providing the mechanic the following parts:

- new engine hoses, firesleeved teflon: about $1000
- a new lightweight starter to offset weight of 3-bladed prop: $375

The insurance company is already providing, or has agreed to provide:

- new 3-bladed MacCauley propeller
- rebuilt exhaust system

Now we get to the "other stuff". Here's what I have planned, including
parts & labor:

- landing gear retract system overhaul: about $2500
- add a JPI EDM-700 engine monitor: about $2500
- let's not forget the deductible: $500

And the stuff not related to the accident--er, incident:

- add a vertical card compass, as my whiskey compass died: about $400
- add a new intercom with music inputs, crew switch, etc.: about $600

So, thus far I am spending close to $8000. It could be less, depending
on what the landing gear needs.

My goal is not to have the prettiest plane in the sky, nor the most
technologically advanced, but I want it to be safe and reliable. Am I
missing anything? Your opinions are welcome (duck!)

thanks

Jefro

Old July 9th 03, 11:23 PM

On 9-Jul-2003, Jeff Osier-Mixon wrote:

My goal is not to have the prettiest plane in the sky, nor the most
technologically advanced, but I want it to be safe and reliable. Am I
missing anything? Your opinions are welcome (duck!)

It would help to know the model and vintage of the airplane, and how it was
equipped "pre-incident".

-Elliott Drucker
Old July 10th 03, 09:30 AM
Jeff Osier-Mixon

It would help to know the model and vintage of the airplane, and how it was
equipped "pre-incident".

Doy... sorry.

1978 Beechcraft Sierra C24R
Lycoming IO-360

Equipment is all standard, mostly older King radios. The only "extra"
engine instrument is a Davtron that shows OAT and voltage. A solid
basic plane, with a minor gear problem.