Horizontal Stab. rusted on stubs

Old April 5th 06, 10:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.restoration

Default Horizontal Stab. rusted on stubs

I'm taking apart the tailfeathers of a Tcraft. Elevator came of fine.
The two halves of the horizontal stabalizor slip over a fore and aft
piece of tubing that is welded to the fuselage. The Cub does the same.
The leading edge connection came apart without problem, but the
trailing connection is rusted tight.
I've done everything I can think of except for heat (fabric is still
on). PB Blaster, tapping, screaming.

I"m open to suggestions if you got 'em. - Mike
Old April 6th 06, 12:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.restoration

Michael Horowitz wrote:

I'm taking apart the tailfeathers of a Tcraft. Elevator came of fine.
The two halves of the horizontal stabalizor slip over a fore and aft
piece of tubing that is welded to the fuselage. The Cub does the same.
The leading edge connection came apart without problem, but the
trailing connection is rusted tight.
I've done everything I can think of except for heat (fabric is still
on). PB Blaster, tapping, screaming.

I"m open to suggestions if you got 'em. - Mike

Are we sure there is not another bolt on the rear spar?

Does it "wiggle" at all?
Old April 6th 06, 12:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.restoration

Two vertical bolts, one at each stub.
The front connection is loose, so I can rotate the assy. about10^
around a horizontal axis, but the flexing is within the assy; the rear
connection is not moving - MIke

Old April 6th 06, 04:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.restoration

Mike wrote:

Two vertical bolts, one at each stub.
The front connection is loose, so I can rotate the assy. about10^
around a horizontal axis, but the flexing is within the assy; the rear
connection is not moving - MIke

Yeee, that don't sound so good.

Strip it, Mike.

Only way to know for sure...

Richard
Old April 8th 06, 02:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.restoration

KROIL from the Kano Labs in Nashville, Tn. is the best stuff I have
ever seen.
Spray a liberal amount of KROIL. Let it set for a while and tap
gently.
If you are able, spray some more KROIL into the hole and pressurize.
Leave the pressure on and the pressure will help force the KROIL
through the rust.
I have used this method to free up stuck 3 point center links on farm
tractors.

Old April 8th 06, 03:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.restoration

Clay wrote:
KROIL from the Kano Labs in Nashville, Tn. is the best stuff I have
ever seen.
Spray a liberal amount of KROIL. Let it set for a while and tap
gently.
If you are able, spray some more KROIL into the hole and pressurize.
Leave the pressure on and the pressure will help force the KROIL
through the rust.
I have used this method to free up stuck 3 point center links on farm
tractors.

I concur with Clay. Kroil is some amazing stuff for freeing up rusted
metal parts.

Lamar