Forming finger straps.

Old April 10th 06, 01:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.restoration

Default Forming finger straps.

A finger strap is a reinforcing piece of metal that is used to
reinforce a joint.

The impression I have is the strap is heated until it can be formed,
then wrapped around both the primary and secondary tubing being joined.
For both tubes the strap is formed around them.

Is the strap tacked in place, then heated until it's plastic, then
hammered/tapped/worked so that it is formed around the pieces, or is it
somehow formed off of the tubing that's being reinforced? - Mike

Old April 12th 06, 04:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.restoration

In article .com,
"Mike" wrote:

A finger strap is a reinforcing piece of metal that is used to
reinforce a joint.

The impression I have is the strap is heated until it can be formed,
then wrapped around both the primary and secondary tubing being joined.
For both tubes the strap is formed around them.

Is the strap tacked in place, then heated until it's plastic, then
hammered/tapped/worked so that it is formed around the pieces, or is it
somehow formed off of the tubing that's being reinforced? - Mike

Tack weld, heat, hammer form when red hot, weld in place.
Old April 14th 06, 03:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.restoration

Orval Fairbairn wrote:
In article .com,
"Mike" wrote:

A finger strap is a reinforcing piece of metal that is used to
reinforce a joint.

The impression I have is the strap is heated until it can be formed,
then wrapped around both the primary and secondary tubing being joined.
For both tubes the strap is formed around them.

Is the strap tacked in place, then heated until it's plastic, then
hammered/tapped/worked so that it is formed around the pieces, or is it
somehow formed off of the tubing that's being reinforced? - Mike

Tack weld, heat, hammer form when red hot, weld in place.

Orval - OK, I"ll try that on some scrap; but every time the hammer
touches the metal, and every place the patch touchs the base metal will
tend to cool down the patch. Is there a secret? Small areas at a time?
- Mike

Old April 14th 06, 06:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.restoration

Mike wrote:
Orval Fairbairn wrote:

In article .com,
"Mike" wrote:

A finger strap is a reinforcing piece of metal that is used to
reinforce a joint.

The impression I have is the strap is heated until it can be formed,
then wrapped around both the primary and secondary tubing being joined.
For both tubes the strap is formed around them.

Is the strap tacked in place, then heated until it's plastic, then
hammered/tapped/worked so that it is formed around the pieces, or is it
somehow formed off of the tubing that's being reinforced? - Mike

Tack weld, heat, hammer form when red hot, weld in place.

Orval - OK, I"ll try that on some scrap; but every time the hammer
touches the metal, and every place the patch touchs the base metal will
tend to cool down the patch. Is there a secret? Small areas at a time?
- Mike

One could "pre form" the strap to fit cold...
Old April 14th 06, 10:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.restoration

On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 17:07:27 GMT, cavelamb
wrote:

Mike wrote:
Orval Fairbairn wrote:

In article .com,
"Mike" wrote:

A finger strap is a reinforcing piece of metal that is used to
reinforce a joint.

The impression I have is the strap is heated until it can be formed,
then wrapped around both the primary and secondary tubing being joined.
For both tubes the strap is formed around them.

Is the strap tacked in place, then heated until it's plastic, then
hammered/tapped/worked so that it is formed around the pieces, or is it
somehow formed off of the tubing that's being reinforced? - Mike

Tack weld, heat, hammer form when red hot, weld in place.

Orval - OK, I"ll try that on some scrap; but every time the hammer
touches the metal, and every place the patch touchs the base metal will
tend to cool down the patch. Is there a secret? Small areas at a time?
- Mike

One could "pre form" the strap to fit cold...

Yep - I was thinking of building a mold by building a like joint,
filling it with sand, and heating the strap around that - but I get
wrapped around the axel and was looking for an EZ way - MIke
Old April 15th 06, 04:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.restoration

wrote:

Yep - I was thinking of building a mold by building a like joint,
filling it with sand, and heating the strap around that - but I get
wrapped around the axel and was looking for an EZ way - MIke

Stick TWO pieces of right sized pipe in the vice, with the strap
centered between them.

Vice grip the top of the pipes (needle nose grips here) to keep the
pipes from spreading.

and wrap the strap around one pipe...

Vice grips with soft aluminum footies are "handy"

Richard
Old April 16th 06, 02:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.restoration

In article .com,
"Mike" wrote:

Orval Fairbairn wrote:
In article .com,
"Mike" wrote:

A finger strap is a reinforcing piece of metal that is used to
reinforce a joint.

The impression I have is the strap is heated until it can be formed,
then wrapped around both the primary and secondary tubing being joined.
For both tubes the strap is formed around them.

Is the strap tacked in place, then heated until it's plastic, then
hammered/tapped/worked so that it is formed around the pieces, or is it
somehow formed off of the tubing that's being reinforced? - Mike

Tack weld, heat, hammer form when red hot, weld in place.

Orval - OK, I"ll try that on some scrap; but every time the hammer
touches the metal, and every place the patch touchs the base metal will
tend to cool down the patch. Is there a secret? Small areas at a time?
- Mike

Get the strap red hot! Reheating the metal doesn't hurt it -- it
relieves stresses from the forming process.
Old April 16th 06, 03:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.restoration

Orval Fairbairn wrote:

In article .com,
"Mike" wrote:

Orval Fairbairn wrote:

In article .com,
"Mike" wrote:

[...]

Hold up, Orv.

You can crystallize 4103 by getting it too hot.

Get it DULLLLLLL red...

Richard

Crouch Strap story Ed Byars Soaring 43 September 23rd 13 05:43 PM
Finger Pulse Oximeter on Sale Ray Lovinggood Soaring 8 December 21st 04 04:11 AM
Forming Company Veteran Associations Otis Willie Naval Aviation 0 August 29th 04 05:57 AM
Forming Company Veteran Associations Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 August 29th 04 05:57 AM
Discus Battery Straps Brian Iten Soaring 6 April 8th 04 12:20 AM