recommendations on Teterboro (KTEB)

Old March 25th 07, 09:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kevin Clarke

Default recommendations on Teterboro (KTEB)

Hi,

I'm flying into NYC this week and had a couple of questions for folks.
First off, I need to stay overnight, any preference on FBO in terms of
leaving the plane. I know Signature to be top notch. Any others on the
field that are worth working with?

Second, I am going to go in VFR approaching the Bravo from the
northeast. I want to fly right over HPN, get cleared through the Delta
there and stay in the outer ring of the Bravo under 3000' until I get to
PNJ NDB, descend to under 1800. Then turn inbound to TEB. Is there an
easier way or better recommendation for navigating through this airspace?

thanks,
KC
Old March 25th 07, 11:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roy Smith

In article .net,
Kevin Clarke wrote:

Hi,

I'm flying into NYC this week and had a couple of questions for folks.
First off, I need to stay overnight, any preference on FBO in terms of
leaving the plane. I know Signature to be top notch. Any others on the
field that are worth working with?

Second, I am going to go in VFR approaching the Bravo from the
northeast. I want to fly right over HPN, get cleared through the Delta
there and stay in the outer ring of the Bravo under 3000' until I get to
PNJ NDB, descend to under 1800. Then turn inbound to TEB. Is there an
easier way or better recommendation for navigating through this airspace?

thanks,
KC

If you're coming from the NE, why go to TEB? Land at HPN, get a 10-minute
cab ride to the White Plains train station, and it's about 30 minutes on
the train to Grand Central in midtown. The train schedule is on the web
(http://as0.mta.nyc.ny.us/mnr/station...l.cfm?key=132).
Panorama Flight Service is one of several good FBOs that cater to GA
traffic.

But if you really want to go to TEB, it'll be a lot easier to get flight
following from NY Approach and a Class Bravo clearance. It's complicated
airspace, and TEB can be difficult to spot from the air at low altitude.

Call up NY somewhere around New Haven or Oxford. The controller you're
talking to at New Haven won't be able to clear you into the Class Bravo,
but before you get to HPN, he'll hand you off to 126.4 -- that's the guy
who will issue your Class Bravo clearance. He in turn will do one of two
things; hand you off to NY Approach on 127.6, or bring you down the river
at something like 1500 and give you to LGA Tower. One of those will hand
you off to TEB Tower.

There's a large (as in huge) radio tower on top of the cliffs on the west
side of the river, between the Tappan Zee Bridge and the George Washington
Bridge. That's the "Alpine Tower". It's on the terminal chart. It's a
good landmark for visual navigation.
Old March 26th 07, 01:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tim

Kevin Clarke wrote:
Hi,

I'm flying into NYC this week and had a couple of questions for folks.
First off, I need to stay overnight, any preference on FBO in terms of
leaving the plane. I know Signature to be top notch. Any others on the
field that are worth working with?

Second, I am going to go in VFR approaching the Bravo from the
northeast. I want to fly right over HPN, get cleared through the Delta
there and stay in the outer ring of the Bravo under 3000' until I get to
PNJ NDB, descend to under 1800. Then turn inbound to TEB. Is there an
easier way or better recommendation for navigating through this airspace?

thanks,
KC

KISP and KFRG on Long Island are an hour or so by train to NYC. ISP is
a nice, not too busy class C. FRG is WAAY too busy and under (I think)
class B.

I would go into one of those if it was me coming from the NE.

Old March 26th 07, 02:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
JB

On Mar 25, 4:52 pm, Kevin Clarke wrote:
Hi,

I'm flying into NYC this week and had a couple of questions for folks.
First off, I need to stay overnight, any preference on FBO in terms of
leaving the plane. I know Signature to be top notch. Any others on the
field that are worth working with?

Second, I am going to go in VFR approaching the Bravo from the
northeast. I want to fly right over HPN, get cleared through the Delta
there and stay in the outer ring of the Bravo under 3000' until I get to
PNJ NDB, descend to under 1800. Then turn inbound to TEB. Is there an
easier way or better recommendation for navigating through this airspace?

thanks,
KC

If landing at TEB, be prepared for sticker shock when you pick up your
plane. Gas prices are sky high, and there are fees on top of fees for
everything. The only good thing about TEB is that its easy getting
in to the City. The FBO will take you up the street (or a 15 min
walk) to the bus stop. $2 and 30 min will get you thru the Lincoln
Tunnel to Port Authority on W42nd.

I have not tried HPN for a weekend visit.

--Jeff

Old March 26th 07, 02:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Theune

JB wrote:
[...]

You might also consider Islip out on the island. It's a 5.00 taxi ride
over to the LIRR station then a train ride in. As part of the fun,
consider doing the Hudson river corridor on the way out to Islip.
Old March 26th 07, 06:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
pgbnh[_1_]

Been into TEB probably a dozen times from the Northeast. Find an
alternative. The only GA they want there burns kerosene. Many cheaper, and
better alternatives as already mentioned.

Old March 26th 07, 07:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
kjc

JB wrote:
[...]

Sold! All right thanks guys. I think I'm going to do the HPN thing and
take the train to Grand Central. I have to go to Grand Central anyway
41st and 5th so Grand Central works.

thanks for the heads up on the alternatives.

KC

Old March 27th 07, 10:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Gideon

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 11:44:33 -0700, kjc wrote:

Sold! All right thanks guys. I think I'm going to do the HPN thing and
take the train to Grand Central. I have to go to Grand Central anyway 41st
and 5th so Grand Central works.

HPN sounds good for you.

But another alternative, esp. if you have some reason to avoid talking to
controllers or getting class B clearance, is LDJ. You can "sneak" in in
the Hudson exclusion zone with relative ease. And LDJ is a quiet little
airport in the midst of some very busy airspace. That contrast alone
makes it something of a fun place grin.

But HPN probably has better services (and transport) for transients
(plus, I think the LDJ train goes into Manhattan's Penn Station), so I
cannot really think of a good reason to choose LDJ over HPN.

- Andrew

Old March 31st 07, 05:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Happy Dog

"Kevin Clarke" wrote in message news:

I'm flying into NYC this week and had a couple of questions for folks.
First off, I need to stay overnight, any preference on FBO in terms of
leaving the plane. I know Signature to be top notch. Any others on the
field that are worth working with?

I can't remember which, but either Signature or Millionaire (no longer
there) used to give me free overnight parking if I topped up (100LL).
Service is excellent at both. There's a bus that runs frequently from the
airport but it's a 15 minute walk. You might try calling First Aviation or
Atlantic and see what they charge. They're closer to the bus stop. It's
about 3 bucks for the bus to the Port Authority at 42nd St. near Times
Square.

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0161.pdf

Second, I am going to go in VFR approaching the Bravo from the northeast.
I want to fly right over HPN, get cleared through the Delta there and stay
in the outer ring of the Bravo under 3000' until I get to PNJ NDB, descend
to under 1800. Then turn inbound to TEB. Is there an easier way or better
recommendation for navigating through this airspace?

Don't do it without GPS or another pilot. The airspace is insanely busy and
they get very cranky if you're not quick and competent on the radio. You
sometimes get multiple frequency changes in rapid succession. Do not screw
them up. Contact NY approach well outside Class B. They almost always let
you in. If it's busy and you're asked to hold, request sightseeing down the
Hudson below Class B. You may get handed off to Newark Approach. Actually,
you should just do it anyway. Make the request to Teterboro Tower after
you're told to contact them. Again, be prepared for some seriously busy
airspace and controllers who expect expert radio work.

Enjoy.

moo

thanks,
KC

Teterboro - help please [email protected] Piloting 5 December 28th 06 09:53 PM
Flying to Teterboro RNR Piloting 20 August 30th 06 12:55 PM
Teterboro in a Cessna 182 Greg Instrument Flight Rules 6 June 24th 06 02:00 AM
Teen driver hits parked jet at KTEB Michael Ware Piloting 21 January 16th 06 05:52 PM
Teterboro Info Request mtmueller Piloting 2 August 18th 03 07:18 PM