PDA GPS: Anywhere Map vs. NavGPS Pro vs ??

Old November 5th 04, 05:00 PM
C Kingsbury

Default PDA GPS: Anywhere Map vs. NavGPS Pro vs ??

OK, y'all are probably getting sick of all my GPS questions these days but
I'll go to the well one more time.

I may or may not get a panel-mount IFR GPS for my 172, that's a separate
issue. Decided I want a portable GPS to use as a backup and for sit.
awareness in IMC. Also decided I want something with terrain, since that's
one of the most popular ways to buy the farm and increased terrain-awareness
can't hurt.

Now, it seems like the Anywhere Map offers a better feature set than the
Garmin 296, plus the ability to upgrade to approach plates or XM weather,
all at a significantly lower price. Plus I get a shiny new PDA, which I can
write off as a business expense.

However, I have also looked at the NavGPS Pro system, and I like the fact
that you can enter IFR flight plans into it just like you file them, like
"BOSOX V1 GRAYM GON." I fly in the Northeast where "Direct" is unheard of
and being able to easily enter and update full-route clearances would IMHO
be a big benefit. Does Anywhere Map offer this also?

Another thing that I frankly like about many of the PDA-based systems is
that they don't seem to be designed by lawyers as much as the handhelds are.
Seems to me the handhelds all cripple their instrument approach
functionality to discourage you from using them to do actual approaches. Lot
of good that will do me when my electrical system s---s the bed. Am I
missing something here?

-cwk.

Old November 5th 04, 05:36 PM
Newps

C Kingsbury wrote:

Another thing that I frankly like about many of the PDA-based systems is
that they don't seem to be designed by lawyers as much as the handhelds are.
Seems to me the handhelds all cripple their instrument approach
functionality to discourage you from using them to do actual approaches. Lot
of good that will do me when my electrical system s---s the bed. Am I
missing something here?

My portable GPS is the Garmin 96c. It has the approaches in the
database. Pull up an approach and it asks if you will do the full
approach or get vectors. It draws the final approach course and all
intersections on the map. The final approach course extends to
infinity, you always know where it is. What more could you want?
Old November 5th 04, 05:46 PM
C Kingsbury

"Newps" wrote in message

My portable GPS is the Garmin 96c. It has the approaches in the
database. Pull up an approach and it asks if you will do the full
approach or get vectors. It draws the final approach course and all
intersections on the map. The final approach course extends to
infinity, you always know where it is. What more could you want?

1. Does it display all that heading-up? Other units I've seen would only
display the approach north-up, which sucks if you're landing on runway 18. I
have not seen the 96c.

2. Does it offer any vertical guidance?
2b. Does anyone think the VNAV provided by a handheld, WAAS-enabled GPS of
any kind is worth *anything*?

3. Does it draw holding patterns?

Best,
-cwk.

Old November 5th 04, 05:55 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "C Kingsbury" said:
2b. Does anyone think the VNAV provided by a handheld, WAAS-enabled GPS of
any kind is worth *anything*?

I use the VNAV provided by my (non-WAAS) all the time for descent planning
when I'm VFR. It won't get me to the runway, but it gets me down to
pattern altitude a reasonable distance from the airport.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"I'm trying to contain an outbreak here, and you're driving the monkey to
Old November 5th 04, 06:33 PM
Newps

C Kingsbury wrote:

"Newps" wrote in message

My portable GPS is the Garmin 96c. It has the approaches in the
database. Pull up an approach and it asks if you will do the full
approach or get vectors. It draws the final approach course and all
intersections on the map. The final approach course extends to
infinity, you always know where it is. What more could you want?

1. Does it display all that heading-up? Other units I've seen would only
display the approach north-up, which sucks if you're landing on runway 18. I
have not seen the 96c.

My GPS is set to track up, so any line your following is straight up and
down the map. Easy to see when you get off course as the line gets away
from vertical. You can also set it to north up.

2. Does it offer any vertical guidance?

It does have VNAV, like every other handheld GPS I've owned, although I
don't use it. You can use the electronic HSI to stay on course and on
altitude if you want.

2b. Does anyone think the VNAV provided by a handheld, WAAS-enabled GPS of
any kind is worth *anything*?

The GPS altitude with these new units is pretty damn good.

3. Does it draw holding patterns?

I don't think so. I haven't used it in full approach mode yet, just
vectors, so I'm not sure what it draws. You can go to the Garmin
website and download the manual and read for yourself what it can do.
Old November 6th 04, 11:36 PM
Michelle P

I went with the Nav GPS pro because they seemed to be more interested in
selling me the right thing than just selling me something and it was a
little cheaper.
Michelle (a happy customer)

C Kingsbury wrote:

[...]

Michelle P ATP-ASEL, CP-AMEL, and AMT-A&P

"Elisabeth" a Maule M-7-235B (no two are alike)

Volunteer Pilot, Angel Flight Mid-Atlantic

Volunteer Builder, Habitat for Humanity