E6B for iPhone?

Old September 21st 07, 11:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
C J Campbell[_1_]

Default E6B for iPhone?

On 2007-09-21 14:46:26 -0700, Judah said:

C J Campbell wrote in

The iPhone and iPod Touch have no way of downloading an application to
it -- you use web-based applications for them. The iPhone, of course
has both wi-fi and phone access to the Internet; the Touch has only
wi-fi. The browser on these devices allows you to keep several pages
open. Once open, you do not need Internet access unless the page needs
to be refreshed. There are thousands of web-based applications for the
iPhone available already, including DUATS, but no E6B. These apps, BTW,
work with any browser, not just an iPhone. The main difference is that
they are sized for the iPhone's screen.

It surprises me that no one has done an E6B yet. It seems a simple
enough application and there are web-based E6Bs already.

It surprises me that someone as smart as you hasn't already asked for your
money back.

A $600 phone that doesn't support downloading applications? Is that the only
thing besides the Apple logo that makes it different than the $250 Treo? How
does Apple spin that into a "feature"?

Well, first of all the iPhone is not $600. It is $400. The Treo's web
browser is severely crippled, suitable only for mobile web. The iPhone
is considerably thinner and more compact than the Treo. The phone part
of the iPhone is far more flexible than Treo. The interface is so far
beyond that of Treo as to appear to be magical. And web-based
applications are not a serious limitation to the usefulness of an
iPhone. Granted, I would like to be able to read Word and Excel
documents on the iPhone, but guess what? The last software update on
the iPhone gave it that capability.

Besides, there are hacks available for loading software directly onto
an iPhone. I expect it will not be long before commercial applications
are available. The iPhone has been available for what, less than three
months? It was a total secret until it was released.

Since the iPhone runs OS X, a variant of Unix, it might have some very
interesting capabilities indeed.

I could play World of Warcraft on my iPhone, if I wanted, with full
graphics and every other feature of WoW. I can read my Google Docs on
the iPhone. Try that on your Treo.

No Wi-Fi on Treo. You have to use the slow cellular 'broadband.' Even
3G is a slug compared to Wi-Fi.

All in all, I will take the better interface over the Treo.
--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old September 24th 07, 03:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Default E6B for iPhone? (long reply)

C J Campbell wrote:
What we really need, of
course, is an iPod dock in the intercom.

Best iPhone review I've read to date. That's why I asked for your views in
the phone.

Thanks.

Old September 25th 07, 04:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin Hotze

Gig 601XL Builder schrieb:

C J Campbell wrote:
What we really need, of
course, is an iPod dock in the intercom.

Best iPhone review I've read to date. That's why I asked for your views in
the phone.

Thanks.

you're rather easy to satisfy (well, you're rather behind, technology
wise, re mobile phone, GSM, UMTS, et al). The "features" of the iphone
are about 5 years late here in Europe.

#m
--
I am not a terrorist http://www.casualdisobedience.com/
Old September 25th 07, 07:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Martin Hotze wrote:
Gig 601XL Builder schrieb:

Best iPhone review I've read to date. That's why I asked for your
views in the phone.

Thanks.

you're rather easy to satisfy (well, you're rather behind, technology
wise, re mobile phone, GSM, UMTS, et al). The "features" of the iphone
are about 5 years late here in Europe.

#m

Well since I'm not in Europe the features of European phones really have no
relevance for me. Also, my post said nothing about the quality or features
if the phone only CJs review of the phone. And the main reason I liked the
review is that it didn't spend a lot of time on the technological things
about the phone but how it worked for him.

Old September 26th 07, 04:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
C J Campbell[_1_]

On 2007-09-25 08:59:37 -0700, Martin Hotze said:

Gig 601XL Builder schrieb:

C J Campbell wrote:
What we really need, of
course, is an iPod dock in the intercom.

Best iPhone review I've read to date. That's why I asked for your views in
the phone.

Thanks.

you're rather easy to satisfy (well, you're rather behind, technology
wise, re mobile phone, GSM, UMTS, et al). The "features" of the iphone
are about 5 years late here in Europe.

#m

The iPhone is GSM, just like European phones. I might point out that
additional "features" come at the cost of size, weight, and shorter
battery life. This is why the iPhone does not have 3G, for example. If
you want more features, you need a bigger battery, which makes the
phone thicker and heavier.

There is nothing innovative about the iPhone except the interface and
external design. Interface means a lot more to most people than they
realize. Consider the Volvo or the BMW. Neither of these auto
manufacturers are particularly innovative; the Japanese usually come
out with new features before they do. Yet, the Volvo and the BMW are
very popular not because they are filled with the latest gadgetry or
have displays the resemble the Ginza district of Tokyo. They are
popular because they are good quality, very comfortable, good
performing autos that hold the road as if they were on rails. But you
could argue that they are five years behind Japan, technologically.

In some ways the iPhone follows a Swedish pattern. Design trumps features.

Old September 26th 07, 06:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin Hotze

C J Campbell schrieb:

The iPhone is GSM, just like European phones. I might point out that
additional "features" come at the cost of size, weight, and shorter
battery life. This is why the iPhone does not have 3G, for example. If
you want more features, you need a bigger battery, which makes the
phone thicker and heavier.

hmm, I use a 3G phone and most of my calls are 3G calls. My phone is not
heavy and has a long enough battery life. OK, if I watch 1 hour TV the
battery life goes down.
And: check out the Nokia N-series regarding size and features (they also
come with a GPS built in).

There is nothing innovative about the iPhone except the interface and
external design. Interface means a lot more to most people than they
realize. Consider the Volvo or the BMW. Neither of these auto
manufacturers are particularly innovative; the Japanese usually come
out with new features before they do. Yet, the Volvo and the BMW are
very popular not because they are filled with the latest gadgetry or
have displays the resemble the Ginza district of Tokyo. They are
popular because they are good quality, very comfortable, good
performing autos that hold the road as if they were on rails. But you

true. But so you want to say that the iphone features are mainly
quality? Maybe the iphone has interface advantages; maybe.

Old September 27th 07, 03:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Newps

There's nothing the N series does that isn't already available here in a
single device. I find it amusing that after all these years of trying
to get the largest screen possible for video we are now trying to get it
on the smallest. I've used various GPS programs on three different
devices with Mapopolis being the best of the three. I have no use for
this type of program, although it is cool. If I find myself in a big
city in need of directions I'd rather have my 496 along with me. Bigger
is much better in mapping programs. The battery life will be similar to
what the average smartphone here gets, there's no magic there.