LX Mini Map

Old October 26th 10, 06:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrew Blanchard

Default LX Mini Map

I am very interested in this device and I was wondering if anyone has
been using one yet. I was think of using it with a nano as my FR.

Any comments are appreciated.
Old October 26th 10, 06:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mottley[_2_]

On Oct 26, 6:17*pm, Andrew Blanchard wrote:
I am very interested in this device and I was wondering if anyone has
been using one yet. *I was think of using it with a nano as my FR.

Any comments are appreciated.

Hi Andrew
I think it is a great unit. The only drawback I can see at the moment
is that it has no Internal Battery, therefore if you want to use it
away from
the glider like an IPAQ, PNA etc you have to rig up a 12V Power Supply
to the unit via its RS232 port.
Bruno
Old October 27th 10, 02:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Oct 26, 10:17*am, Andrew Blanchard wrote:
I am very interested in this device and I was wondering if anyone has
been using one yet. *I was think of using it with a nano as my FR.

Any comments are appreciated.

Andrew,

I was in Slovenia for two weeks in September training with

LX Navigation - the MiniMap manufacturer

&

LX NAV - the LX8000 and LX9000 and NANO manufacturer.

I am the Authorized US Dealer and Service Center for both Companies.

I have NANOs in stock and have a Demo MiniMap that I am testing. I
can get delivery of a MiniMap in about a week.

Please see my website for more details or call

http://www.craggyaero.com/lx_navigation1.htm

http://www.craggyaero.com/lx_nav.htm

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Old October 27th 10, 10:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rhubarb[_2_]

Hi

I think the lack of a battery in the mini map is an advantage.
Batteries can be a pain. With my IPAQs I have to:

* replace old batteries
* keep the batteries charged (or end up with a hard reset)
* deal with accidental switch-ons (which empty the battery and lead to
a hard reset)
* my Ipaqs seem to require 5.5v to charge while my 302 was only
providing 5v so if I was unlucky the Ipaq could discharge in flight.
solved by building in my own 5.5v power supply.

If I had a penny for every time I have had to do that PocketPC hard
reset cut/paste exercise. (does anyone know if it can be disabled).
followed by setting date/time/timezone...ARRGGHHH

Peter

Old October 27th 10, 08:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Joyce

Hi
Have you considered the Oudie it runs Seeyou has a internal battery, Gps
and can connect to a Nano by Bluetooth.
Martin

Old October 31st 10, 12:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Seaborn (A8)

Has anyone actually seen one? The screen is said to be good but better
than OUDIE with the terrain shut off? I am about to make some changes
for the coming year and have been looking.

John Seaborn
A8

Old October 31st 10, 12:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

Has anyone actually seen one? The screen is said to be good but better
than OUDIE with the terrain shut off?

Just had one of Richard Pfeifer's display units in my hand about 20
minutes ago. Very bright, significantly brighter than the Oudie it was
right next to, but they both had terrain on... screen size is a little
smaller though, but looked on par with the Craggy Ultimate's
brightness in the lighting of the museum we were at. Full sun is
probably a different story, but I was definitely impressed with it.
Not sure of the resolution, but it looks very sharp. Unit is about
3/4" thick and has about a 3/4" border around the screen, but it's
shell constructed entirely of aluminum and feels very solid, and more
heft to it than a PDA. It is definitely not in the same class of
devices as the Oudie and the rest of the PNA gang.

-Paul

Old October 31st 10, 01:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
brianDG303[_2_]

I am considering it, a little. It needs GPS, but I have a powerflarm
on order and if/when that ships it could probably pass GPS and Flarm.
I really like the stick control option. It uses .4 amp (according to
the specs) which is as an HP310 pulls when it's charging the HP310's
dead battery, and more than a transponder.

Brian
Old October 31st 10, 03:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi,

The Mini Map has the same size and resolution dislay screen as an iPAQ 310.
It is 800 x 480 pixels.

You can see a comparison of the different size displays he
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/pda.h...ize_Comparison

It looks like a very impressive display and product. I like that is it
brighter and higher resolution than an Oudie, but a little smaller. I think
it will popular because of its brightness and high resolution. I wish it
wasn't twice the price of the Oudie, but it is still much less expensive
than the ClearNav or LX 9000 (which are also very bright).

I look forward to playing with one soon. I should have it on my web site in
a few days.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old October 31st 10, 06:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Oct 30, 4:41*pm, sisu1a wrote:
Has anyone actually seen one? The screen is said to be good but better
than OUDIE with the terrain shut off?

Just had one of Richard Pfeifer's display units in my hand about 20
minutes ago. Very bright, significantly brighter than the Oudie it was
right next to, but they both had terrain on... screen size is a little
smaller though, but looked on par with the Craggy Ultimate's
brightness in the lighting of the museum we were at. Full sun is
probably a different story, but I was definitely impressed with it.
Not sure of the resolution, but it looks very sharp. Unit is about
3/4" thick and has about a 3/4" border around the screen, but it's
shell constructed entirely of aluminum and feels very solid, and more
heft to it than a PDA. It is definitely not in the same class of
devices as the Oudie and the rest of the PNA gang.

-Paul

At the same event we walked out side with the MiniMap and in slightly
overcast but pretty bright sunlight I thought the display was very
readable with both background terrain on and off. Clearly much better
outside than the Oudie (as expected). This is the display I now want
given that it is the largest I could see cramming into a tight panel
and runs SeeYou. And I liked the ability to drive the miniMap/Vario
combination with a PowerFLARM and have the air-data added to the NMEA
stream by the vario. Folks designing this stuff are thinking (although
with the small niggle I'd still like to see less separate interface
boards/cables). If anybody has one and does not want it I'll give it a
good home. Richard had a meter there, it was not drawing as much as
0.4A but I don't recall the exact number. Maybe he can reply with the
number (with different display brightesses).

Darryl

Mini-Imp Curt Fennell Home Built 7 November 10th 09 01:43 PM
Mini Lathes Kyle Boatright Home Built 11 August 18th 08 05:56 AM
Mini-500 Sim Jim Aviation Marketplace 0 January 27th 04 12:32 AM
Mini Imp Randall Robertson Simulators 3 December 17th 03 06:56 AM
Mini Imp Randall Robertson Home Built 0 November 25th 03 01:17 AM