question for JJ

Old May 20th 10, 11:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

Default question for JJ

I'm looking at my shiny black carbon wings and other parts and getting
ready to start sanding to prep for spraying on primer.

Question: what grade of sand paper do I use to break the glaze and
give tooth without removing precious material..................

and..............what to use to remove sanding dust,
etc...........prior to spraying primer.

it's getting closer!

thanks,
Brad
Old May 21st 10, 01:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair

On May 20, 3:32*pm, Brad wrote:
I'm looking at my shiny black carbon wings and other parts and getting
ready to start sanding to prep for spraying on primer.

Question: what grade of sand paper *do I use to break the glaze and
give tooth without removing precious material..................

and..............what to use to remove sanding dust,
etc...........prior to spraying primer.

it's getting closer!

thanks,
Brad

Hi Brad,
I'd sand with 80 grit (dry) on an 18" air-board, if you have one or an
18" hand board with 45 left/45 right action with the board held
parallel to span.
I'd put on a mask, turn on the fans and blow off the surface before
priming.
I use PCL Polyprimer (907 white) catilized with 2% MEKP.
Hope this helps,
JJ
Old May 21st 10, 01:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

On May 20, 5:19*pm, JJ Sinclair wrote:
On May 20, 3:32*pm, Brad wrote:

[...]

Thanks JJ...............just what I was looking for.

Brad
Old May 22nd 10, 12:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sam Zimmerman

"JJ Sinclair" wrote in message
On May 20, 3:32 pm, Brad wrote:
[...]

what's an air-board, JJ??

Old May 22nd 10, 02:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

On May 20, 3:32 pm, Brad wrote:

[...]

Sam.............an air board is a pneumatic tool that takes the arm
work out of sanding, but they are thirsty and require a beefy
compressor. At least the one I own does.

Brad
Old May 22nd 10, 12:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Morgans[_2_]

"Brad" wrote

Sam.............an air board is a pneumatic tool that takes the arm
work out of sanding, but they are thirsty and require a beefy
compressor. At least the one I own does.

Brad
******************
Often called a straight line sander. They take a bunch of air, like he
said. You need a 220 volt 5 HP compressor at a minimum, or you will spend a
bunch of time waiting for air to build back up. As a general rule, the more
expensive ones use less air, as they are generally more efficient.

There is a relatively cheap one at Northern,
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_28119_28119

I do not own this, so I do not know how much air it uses.

They do take a lot of work out of sanding things like wings, and prevent
wavy-ness that would happen if you used something like a random orbital
sander.
--
Jim in NC

Old May 24th 10, 02:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On May 20, 3:32 pm, Brad wrote:

[...]

Blow out really well so that Mr Pinhole is fully exposed on first fill
pass. You don't want to bridge over dust filled holes. They will bite
you in the ass. When they show up, squegee in spot fill before doing
your first sanding. With luck, youll get 90% on first cycle- then 90%
on second.
Good luck
UH
Old May 24th 10, 05:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

On May 20, 3:32 pm, Brad wrote:

[...]

yup, there are lot's of pinholes................I will do my best to
prep properly for them. plan is to spray primer/filler, then make up a
light slurry of primer/filler/micro and squeegee that onto the wing
after the first pass has tacked up.

Brad
Old May 24th 10, 06:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On May 20, 3:32 pm, Brad wrote:

[...]

Brad- Hide quoted text -

You understand
UH

I want to ask you the most important question of your life. The question is: Are you saved? It is no gasman Soaring 0 August 26th 05 06:39 PM
Good morning or good evening depending upon your location. I want to ask you the most important question of your life. Your joy or sorrow for all eternity depends upon your answer. The question is: Are you saved? It is not a question of how good Excelsior Home Built 0 April 22nd 05 01:11 AM
FAR question Roger Worden Soaring 3 January 10th 05 06:22 AM
Question about KLN-89B Casey Wilson Instrument Flight Rules 9 March 8th 04 08:07 PM